Seed Run Co-Op: Maui Mango Haze (CLOSED)

Biggus Dickus… I just spit my cracker out! All signed up by the way. Thanks for the help. He certainly is a very nice looking male. Lucky to find such a nice one with only one to choose from. How is the stem rub on these plants?

9 Likes

Love the guitar for scale :+1: :laughing:
They are looking great Brother!! and thanks for doing the seed run!

Cheers
G

11 Likes

Yeah, I love Python man, ever since I was about 15. Man, my sense of smell isn’t very educated. I couldn’t tell if something had background notes of coffee and sandalwood, if you had a gun on me. :grinning:

The first time I heard about a stem rub I almost rubbed bare spots on my plants, and they just smelled like pot plants to me.

That’s how these smell, like pot plants. My guess is they’ll start smelling fruity before long. Sorry man, that’s all I got. :blush:

Once you grow them out, you can tell me what the stem rub smells like. :slight_smile:

Yeah! That’s it! It wasn’t there because I was too lazy to put it up, it was there for scale! :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Those Chiquitas are cool little guitars though. They have a really big tone for their size.

14 Likes

I’ve got a nose that knows! Not everyone is so lucky. I’m terrible at giving descriptions of exactly what I smell tho, cuz I can never seem to quite place it. However, I found some smelly ones that I rubbed so much all the smell came off of them. Plants smell the most right when lights come on in the morning.

6 Likes

Isn’t that also the best time to harvest? And do it on a full moon. That’s what my old head uncle told me years ago in the garden.

6 Likes

I’ve heard the harvesting in the dark advice, but never the full moon. Some people prefer to plant by the moon cycle, so why not? It would be hard to line that up with where you want your trichomes at though.

6 Likes

Yeah man I don’t go by days anymore. I read my trichomes and depending on the plant I’ll chop accordingly. But you guys know all this. Sorry for preaching to the choir.

5 Likes

I’ve been preaching to my mom. She send me pics, do you think it’s ready? I sent a loupe I got off amazon😉

7 Likes

Well, if you want to go old old school…

Allow me to introduce you to the Farmer’s Almanac https://www.almanac.com/#

The ‘hard copy’ still has the punched hole so you can hang it on a nail in the outhouse.
Perfect bathroom reading material, has a lot of great info on gardening etc. and they really go into the moon phases, planting & harvesting times, fishing etc.

Santa brings me one every Christmas… :+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

12 Likes

The best garden we ever had was under the direct supervision of the old farmers almanac. I still get one most years, although I’m not as serious. Maybe if I were more organized and disciplined.

6 Likes

That’s a top-shelf line-up of girls. Should be some great mommas.

4 Likes

I’ve heard the same thing. supposed to Harvest in the morning just before the sun comes up. Unfortunately I live in New York, and that’s also the time of day when we have a very heavy do, and I don’t like to pick the plants when they’re wet if I can avoid it.

There is a harvest moon… but I’ve never heard that you’re supposed to harvest according to it either. I believe it was only called that because people were able to work at night and still see well. Able to put in an extra long day to get the crop in.

5 Likes

So, I think I might’ve hosed that pollen. This is what I did. I scraped it off the foil, sifted the plant material out of it, put it in 1.5ml microtubes, added some desiccant beads to the vials, and stuck 'em right into the freezer. The only drying time it got was the few hours it was lying on the foil before I collected it. I didn’t realize my mistake until about 30 minutes ago, so it’s been in the freezer for several hours.

Is there anything I can do about it now?

Biggus is still dropping pollen, so there’ll be more, but not anywhere near as much. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

9 Likes

I think I did something similar to my last batch…did not let it dry out enough I don’t think. I did pull some out and use it. Got some seed but not what I expected. Let it air dry when it is thawed and perhaps some will still be viable.

Guess we have to muck up once in a while to get good. who knew? lol oh and thanks for doing the run!

7 Likes

Better start collecting more, dude.
There been plenty of talk on these forums about correctly putting up pollen
Not a great idea about putting disacant directly in with the spooge either.

5 Likes

Have you checked if the pollen started to get chunky/lumpy in the vial? Or is it still powdery?

3 Likes

Any moisture left in your pollens its cashed.

4 Likes

What’s the recommended dry time and why is there an issue with storing directly with desiccant?

4 Likes

just wouldn’t and have not heard of any growers/breeders with experience doing so either.
Could be a chemical in them beads.

Normally 3-4 days with very low low humidity, you’ll have to be the judge on that one depending on location and weather.
Ever notice how humidity comes inside and effect your dried buds sitting out.
It takes on the humidity.

4 Likes

Right. It’s not easy to dry pollen without humidity controls. I’ve had pollen chunk up just sitting on a tray because of humidity and natural absorption.

4 Likes