Seed shopping annoyances

Why do so many strains not have pictures or descriptions? A picture with a few things listed like how much stretch and rough harvest window would go a long way.

17 Likes

Especially when they are charging like 120 a pack. Right now Iā€™m annoyed with a supposed fem seed full of pollen sacks. Alien Bubba from LA Plata collective or genetics I forget which one it is. The plant grew great until it started popping nanners ever where with out a pistle in sight.

9 Likes

What gets me is so many times when I do see a picture itā€™s a picture Iā€™ve seen in about 6 different breederā€™s pictures of about 6 different strains.

13 Likes

Iā€™m waiting for us to get to the point where seed packs come with a sampler. GIVE ME THE FUTURE NOW

10 Likes

Easy. They all sell untested pollen chucks.

Disambiguation:
1)ā€œallā€ Not all, not all. Most.

2)ā€œUntestedā€ some have testers, yeah? Yeah.
The problem with this is that common man testers wonā€™t be growing 100 seeds and catalog phenos and how they segregate, while including their grow parameter and what notā€¦ rh, temps, feed etc to give a base line of phenos showing under this and that environmentā€¦

Secondly, say you are one lucky mofo and most testers packs are grown (unlikely). All different environments, all different expressions shown. Dang. To give an accurate representation of a line, youā€™d need multiple grows over time and data.

It is. A crap shoot.

Then, integrity plays a part in thisā€¦ we talking money, who knows what one would be ready to say to market w/e ā€¦

13 Likes

Do you have any light leaks at all? Even the smallest hole can throw male flowers. Not saying anything about this plant your room or abilities or seed breeder just generally. Whenever I had nanners I would hang out in my flower room after dark and let my eyes adjust. Found light coming around a area that looked dark until my eyes adjusted. Even a light on a power strip throws them i to confusion. Some strains deal
With it differently. All we can do is keep trying to find that keeper. Live and learn here on Og. Good luck w it.

5 Likes

Hey skunkhunt :wave:

Itā€™s genetics.

Female seeds vs Feminized seeds

Proven vs speculated

Tested vs untested

1 Like

Nope there were pollen sacks all over not just in area. None of the other girls have nanners. I couldnā€™t find a white hair at any node too so I think it was just a male plant.

4 Likes

Ok
Good
Luck with the future of your grow

1 Like

I get that for sure. Just afrer doing 8 or 9 full room seed runs I make sure to double and triple check the basics first always.

2 Likes

Thing is Iā€™m also talking about established well regarded breeders who even have their stuff in dispos. Realistically indoor, everyone strives for similar environments, sure thereā€™s situations where someone lives in an extreme climate and achieving optimal environmental parameters can be a hassle but a pic and description of how a strain grows in an optimized indoor grow would be less of a crapshoot like I get that instagram exists and you can get an idea of how it grows from there but damn.

I also get that a lot of things are untested F1 hybrids, but when spaces like this exist it canā€™t be to hard for reputable breeders to find testers. For real if just to throw two famous ones out there say capulator or top dawg(not badmouthing them lol, just they stuck out to me cause Iā€™ve never seen a pic on a seedbank) came on a forum and said hey I need a couple testers who will send logs and pics everybody and their momma would be lined up trying to test em.

But then I guess that would have some risks like assholes f2ing em or giving out cuts. Im just being grumpy I guess lolšŸ˜…

3 Likes

Problem is these specific guys already sell like hotcakes

1 Like

Dominion(Duke Diamond) and Dynasty( Professor P) are two legit breeders that come to mind that give estimates on which phenotypes you will find with pictures and approx stretch, flower time, effects etc.

7 Likes

I think itā€™s perfectly okay to critique if youā€™re including as many variables as you can think of in your assessment.

You get the testers you canā€¦ by that I mean the guys with stable rooms arenā€™t necessarily the ones whoā€™ll run your gear. A thankfull noob is more likely to try itā€¦

I think about 10 or 15% of seeds sent as testers gets ranā€¦ but weā€™re missing the point and pointing fingers at the wrong folksā€¦

ā€œBreedersā€ should run at least 2 batches, one in one out, take notes, pics etc then and only then look for testers.

Worked stuff should only throw a limited number of pheno/genotype and should be easy to mapā€¦

Dudes are writing descriptions like, parent ā€œAā€ is a 75 days plant and parents ā€œBā€ is a 50 days plant = this line is a 62 day line lol

As an example, raspberry boogie from mosca. Love love that line but holy shit does that description make you think itā€™s stableā€¦ I popped a ton and no 2 plants were alike (!)

6 Likes

Shit not to long ago I had a pack of fems from solfire one male and two hermies. Shame, they did nice in veg and had cool smelling stem rubs.

1 Like

I think it is because the average seed buyer doesnā€™t understand genetic variability and once a picture is posted buyers expect to grow what they see, which can lead to bad reviews ā€œIt didnā€™t look like the pic I paid forā€ :rofl:. But a single plantā€™s phenotypic expression, especially in these highly hyped F1 and S1 strains that every pollen shucker is pumping out en-masse, is unique and a single picture cannot convey the full array of potential phenotypic variations one might come across while popping most seedsā€¦especially when the breeders are picking a one-off out of thousands of seeds like Tiki Madman or an equivalent. So itā€™s better to not post a pic so that lesser informed people canā€™t claim the seeds they grew didnā€™t look exactly like the plant in the pic that they thought they were buying.

4 Likes

If you follow your breeder on Instagram they will post pics of plants from peoples grows and you will see how every single post of a single strain can show an extremely variable assortment of phenotypes being expressedā€¦ green, purple, frosty AF, or less frostyā€¦ most of the time there is no one pic that would appease all, and if they did post a pic of the one plant out of thousands that they found as a keeper it would not be reasonable to assume you could ever find that particular pheno even if you popped multiple packs.

4 Likes

Ooh thatā€™s another thing that slightly bugs me, why are we referring to plants of the same strain grown in the same environment but with different traits different phenotypes? A phenotype is how genes express under different environments if sibling plants express differently under the same environment wouldnā€™t it be more accurate to call them different genotypes? Most everythingā€™s offspring even down to single cell organisms have different dna. Idk Iā€™m just a bit stoned and a bit wine drunk and rambling

6 Likes

A phenotype is the detectable expression of the genotypeā€¦so a phenotype is differentiated based upon visible clues

5 Likes

I get that if a breeder is going to post a pic for a line heā€™s going to choose the 1/1000 plant. Yeah, np. But then itā€™s priced as if itā€™s a 1/10.

I love hunting, but you canā€™t expect me to buy 5 fk grand of beans to find a keeper. Price them accordinglyā€¦

5 Likes