Seed storage techniques

I may have posted this before but I have had very good success rates after 20 years in a cool dry basement with minimal temp swings.

In paper breeder packs in a standard mason jar.

(My parent’s basement :+1:)

8 Likes

Definitely not a good long term solution. When the rice has fully absorbed moisture it is now a little site for mold, short term rice is ok but just use desicant packs for real storage.

2 Likes

Out of all the 'holics I thinking a seedaholic is the best condition to have :laughing::metal:

4 Likes

Good point… thanks @Qtip :call_me_hand::beers:

1 Like

ah fuggedaboudit

1 Like

A question about storage…
I store mines in eppendorf tubes 0,5ml with a pair balls of silica gel. Inside a tupper with more silica, and in the refrigerator in the vegetables site.
Till there all ok, but, sometimes… once in two weeks or once a month, I have to open it, to add more or to take some out, so they have some temperature fluctuation, that I read that is not good.

How do you do to storage seeds and be able to share them without the fluctuations? or are these little fluctuations no worry?

HG!

1 Like

I’ll give you my method. This way if the power goes out or someone keeps opening the fridge, it keeps the same temps for quite awhile until the outside temps settle down again. I keep mine in something like this but it does take up space.

I’m sure you could find a smaller version of something like this and not have to use this bulky one.

3 Likes

Umm good idea… but in that case with some PS and a good tupper also can be arranged.
But the problem that I am concerned is by example:
-Have it in the fridge, have to add some to the collection. → fluctuation.
-Have it in the fridge, have to take some out to grow or to share ->fluctuation.
And I mean fluctuation, because normally I leave the tupper box some time at ambient temperature, for not making condensation…
That are the fluctuations that more worry me, and I can’t think as how to evade.

HG!

1 Like

Sort thru your seeds in the cold. Maybe a garage in the winter. Ive used ice packs in coolers to keep them cool while sorting.

Ideally, it is 40-45 deg F in the room. Then you can take your time. Make your inventory lists, and pick out a few.

I don’t let them come to room temp fast. They remained sealed, and jarred. I use an empty jar from the fridge with silica beads. After i pick the seeds I want and they are in baggies or ampules(also cold) i put them in the uv block out jar that is 40f, and bring that jar into a 50-55 degree room. Leave it there for hours. Then to a 60-65 f room for a while, and then to daily room temp. This avoids condensation, and you do not have to rush the seeds into the soil.

As for the silica. It is great, but not a panacea. Seeds need to be at a certain moisture level to maintain viability over time. Too dry is bad. Too much silica could draw out all the moisture from the seeds.

Ive seen it mentioned 5-10% of weight/volume of the seeds. So, if you had your seeds in a bag with equal parts silica, and seeds- that may not be ideal. I watch to see the color of my beads. If they are not changing color, and they are 10% of seed volume, I feel like I am in the zone.

If I got 100 seeds in ampules in a mylar bag, i will drop 5 or 10 tiny silica beads in the bag, then seal it, and fridge.

None of this is my tech, I have been watching the sharpies for years :wink:

Hope this is of help. There are searches you can do here and on the other forums, peeps discuss it :slight_smile:

As for the light, use opaque tupperware, or uv blocking mason jars. I’ve used electrical tape too to block out light.

Opening the tupper to throw in a new pack will not cause harm, just close it quick and back in. The silica will sort out the fluctuation.

7 Likes

have heard that freezzing seeds is bad ? also in the ice box ? you just need ambinent temps for storage in a dark place in a air tight dark container - this might be wrong (it’s worked for years) many folks stror weed in the icebox ? not for me -maybe frezze if used for bubble

2 Likes

Many thanks @Cartwright !..
Good explaination.
I usually add 1 or two silica beads to the eppendorf 0,5ml. So no worry of the silica dehydrating much the seeds.
Also, I read that silica absorbs till 10% RH. So if seeds become at 10% RH, as I read in someplace, that is better for long term storage.

HG!

2 Likes

With respect to freezing. The seeds should be well aged, not too much moisture. They will freeze and maintain viability longer. Colder = longer generally speaking. People have concern about thawing and refreezing. I should put this to bed in my own head and pop the remaining pack I have of Neroli 91. One of the oldest packs in the arsenal, opened, been stored first in a cellar in mason jar, then fridge, then freezer. 100% been frozen and taken out and refrozen as much as anything that I hold. Currently in the fridge for a while and Several years old at this point. I have to wait a week or 4 before I have space. Really been thinking about those as a check of viability. Sorry for the rant. This super orange haze and hazy ipa packing a punch!

Edit: Germ test 2/2 on seeds that have done several freeze/thaw cycles.

7 Likes

Thanks – They have a few World Seed Banks that are stroing every kind of seeds in the world - forget were they are located - but the do freeze seed - I think _or some other method they use to store . Think one is in Swissterland _ Hell ! you all just taught an old horse a new trick thanks !!! @Cbizzle @Piter /@Cartwright @HumblePie420 @Gpaw

5 Likes

The big one (that everyone is counting on) is 1Km due south of the Svalbard airport terminal. Place “78.236 15.491” into Google Map

seed vault

When I was there they were using the old coal mine for seed storage…
(They built the new facility after I was there)

Cheers
G

12 Likes

Cool papers.

It’s appears the between 4-6% moisture content is something of the sweet spot. Which, so happens, to be in the active minimums of some silica gel.

https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/conservation-preservation-publications/technical-bulletins/silica-gel-relative-humidity.html

Remembering to consider the vapor barrier performance of the container plus the environmental RH. Refrigerators are relatively dry, generally.

I do have a moisture balance and am thinking of sacrificing a small quantity of seeds that have been stored in specimen vials within a refrigerator for several years (without silica gel) at ~5F. Will report some results here.

11 Likes

WOW ! hope all the seeds I have stored for 20years + are still good --only “time” will tell - here is how to get rich - invent a good seed stroage container

4 Likes

pyrex
I bought like 200 of these PYREX culture tubes with the intention of making a little “seed vault”. I bought those and a nice Nanuk 980 case with the square foam insert. Pop out a square and they slide right in. Plus sharpie on the white part of the vial won’t rub off. Tested by writing on one, letting it dry, and then rubbing it with my thumb for like 10 minutes while I watched tv. I figured if that didn’t rub it off or smear it, then pulling it in and out from the foam a handful of times won’t do anything, so durable enough for my task. I don’t bother with a fridge at this point in my journey. I figure dry seeds, sealed in tubes, in an air tight case in a cool light-free environment is good enough :man_shrugging:t2: I haven’t saved anything for multiple years yet, but I don’t foresee it being a problem.

5 Likes

Totally agree with @Cartwright about ideally working when ambient temperatures are low as suggested approximately 40F. The other considerations mentioned are remarkable and well explained too. Very informative post.

A while back power went out for an extended period of time and making lemonade from lemons took the time to make a accurate list and inventory. In hindsight I realized that more effort should have gone into planning. Clearly labeled and easily accessible containers with things organized in smaller groups or however best suits ones needs, the aim being quick and efficient accessibility. It can become a cluttered mess so quickly. This thread is a helpful reminder and the helpful comments are appreciated. Much love

2 Likes

I like that case.
It looks like you could slip some freezer packs in there and with the foam insulation, they should stay below zero for hours.
(good for a move :+1:)

Cheers
G

2 Likes

That’s actually not a bad idea (using a freezer pack), i was worried a little about moisture but since they are sealed in the vacuum sealed bags with additional silica I could just throw the freezer packs in the fridge itself in the case of a move. Great Idea!

Highly recommend the 5ml glass vials, they are made of borosilicate glass and I felt the amber color would help with light/UV. it holds AT LEAST like 20-30 seeds (depending on how big they are) per vial and the stoppers on them stop all the way, there’s no hole in it like some of the essential oil glass bottles have. Just can’t overtighten or the lids don’t tighten again.

3 Likes