šŸŒ± Germination Laboratory @ MadScientist šŸŒ±

You are absolutely wrong.

1 Like

I just had today a seed sprout, Dutch Passion Think Different Auto, and it had a straight pointy tip, kinda like a zig zag blade but it was pointing down all the way.

2 Likes

I will have to germ some seeds and do it, wait 7-10 days and i will show you what i mean.

1 Like

No problem. I just turn the tupperware to the side and that does it. LOL

1 Like

I canā€™t wait to try this! I hate when you donā€™t check the bag fast enough and the white tip is curled around the seed. It makes sense, itā€™s trying to go straight down and it canā€™t. A couple times Iā€™ve planted them and had the root grow up out of the soil as a result, thatā€™s why I direct-seed into soil, but with seeds that donā€™t germinate well direct-seeding wastes time & space.

2 Likes

I made this thread of gravity. Gravitropism and how gravity effects root growth.

1 Like

La respuesta a vuestra polƩmica es sencilla: en la oscuridad mƔs absoluta las raƭces tiender a crecer hacia abajo o no?

1 Like

Ok so the dutch passion didnā€™t make it and i had to cull it. Now, i got a bluetooth auto replacing it, and in honor of you @lotus710 i planted it directly to the soil, without soaking or nothingā€¦

3 Likes

No, es la gravidad que los orienta.

1 Like

Wooo. Goodjob bro. You usin the roots?

1 Like

What do you meanā€¦? Roots organics, yes.

I didnā€™t amend it or nothing, no more variables at all, and had to water the soil with 6.0pH water to bring it down a little.

1 Like

Yessssir. Sweet i cant wait to see your soil grow.

1 Like

I got some in coco and one in soil, the Feminized seedlings will all go to the rootsā€¦

1 Like

Claro, era una pregunta retorica. Pero en ausencia de gravedad tambiƩn huyen de la luz.
La raĆ­z tiene gravitatrismo positivo y fototropismo negativo

2 Likes

Que buena esa, muy cientifica la explicacion, claro, corto y concisoā€¦

Thatā€™s a good one, very scientific the explanation, clear, short and conciseā€¦

Voy a poner otra bolsa con luz abajo y obsuridad arriba a ver que pasa.

2 Likes

Suena a un buen experimento, esta buenisimoā€¦

Sounds like a good experiment, really goodā€¦

1 Like

Good question MiG. What I donā€™t like about the PTM is that the seedlings are generally exposed to light. And seedlings raised in zero gravity environments are shown to respond to light, including root development.

So, @Viva_Mexico Iā€™ll stipulate that gravitropism is the dominant factor influencing root development in soil-planted seeds. But phototropism is the dominant factor in shoot development, and can be the dominant factor in root development in the absence of gravity, as this NASA experiment on the Space Station showed.

These are seedlings grown in zero gravity in clear agar, exposed to light from one end. With no gravity at all, shoots grow toward the light, roots away from it. Exactly the same as in gravity environments.

The full video is here. The relevant part begins around 7:00 in.

Roots use gravity, but donā€™t need gravity, to grow correctly. Exposing root tips to light, such as in the NASA experiment, or with ā€œPTMā€, can initiate phototropic responses that can compete with or replace gravitropic responses. That, combined with the 2-D sprouting substrate of a paper towel against a plate, plastic container or bag, is likely why PTM seedlings develop curled root tips.

@Viva_Mexico, since you seem to have a strong preference for ex situ germination, maybe you can explain, what is the benefit to the plant of ex situ germination? Other than giving anxious seed-poppers something to look at for three days, what is the benefit?

-b420

8 Likes

Puedes buscar los experimentos de la NASA o ESA con sus germinaciones en ausencia de gravedadā€¦ La raĆ­z solo ondulaā€¦

1 Like

Precisely @MiG -b420

1 Like