Seeking grower for co-op seed grow Sheelavathi Neelam

Hi Friends,

Does anyone have the time, space, and resources to do a co-op seed run?

I submitted a request, which was approved, to include Indian heirloom Sheelavathi in the seed run co-op, but I don’t have the space to run it. I just have my little outdoor garden, and it’s full for this season.

I can give up to 30 beans to whoever is willing to do a co-op run.

I received the beans from an acquaintance in Talimandu India. He says it is the typical long flowering variety grown in his region. He says the line is commonly known as Sheelavathi, but locally they call it Neelam. He describes the aroma as curry and describes the effect as what would be expected of sativa.

If you are willing to dedicate some time and space to run beans for the co-op please let me know, and i’ll send some beans.

Peace :v:

25 Likes

More information please. How long we talking?

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t run 14-16 week strains :joy::raised_hands: I like the shorter flowering strains. But I will watch the grow intently, for sure!

4 Likes

Searching around online for “Sheelavathi cannabis” I find 14-16 weeks flower time. I will ask the source of these seeds what is his experience with them and post the info here. It will take at least a day for me to hear back from him.

3 Likes

I’m quite interested but am maybe the wrong person.

2 Likes

Sheelavathi is a regional heirloom Sativa
which may have been selected from
Kerala gold population for slightly shorter
flowering term and improved yields
and flavours. It has been spread out to many
south indian and south-east regions
adjoining odisha and is a well known strain
In many north indian urban areas.
Sheelavathi isn’t confined to a single state or region although origins are speculated around kerala and
tamil nadu, but today it mostly grows in wet-tropical climates in close proximity to equator and exhibits
the equatorial long flowering trait which can range from 14-16 weeks mostly, a tad bit faster than
cultivars like kerala gold.
Sheelavathi is one of the most domesticated cultivar from south indian/equatorial region, it adapts
to a variety of climates easily and grows to its full potential without supplemented help.
Sheelavathi has been grown in dry and arid climates like southern californian desert to highlands
of rocky mountains in colorado with an array of expressions. Plant shows a manageable
percentage of intersex traits, which can be further improved by selective inbreeding.
Sheelavathi produces good yields with an almost
acceptable bract/leaf ratio. While plant stretches in
first few weeks like any other equatorial variety, it fills
up rather quicker, which reduces the flower time
upto 3-4 weeks. Flavours can range from wide variety
of berries/wild floral /musk /pine and woody.

fter a sudden increase in national indian population combined with the BPO/ITO and cultural shift, sent a ripple of increased demand of cannabis in south India, which in turn forced the farmers to select for a faster finishing plant with better yields opposed to the older ways of cultivation without much selection for these traits, which will ultimately lead to the development of Sheelavathi sativa from old Kerala and Idukki Gold populations (the latter already extinct).

As of today, Sheelavathi stands as one of the most potent and savoured cultivars in india. Her leaves are much darker and her bud structure is always fairly dense and harder than its predecessors Kerala Gold or Idukki, or any other equatorial sativa originating from India. A very interesting thing about Sheelavathi that we ascertained is the novelty of its terpene profile because the moment you come near the plant you can definitely smell wild flowers mixed with spices, but the taste is more inclined towards pine and hashish with undertones of flowers that will leave your senses charmed.

Sheelavathi has been crowned as one of the most beloved strains of india in a very short time and reasons, well; the effects - Its a double decker effect and potency coupled with the calming serenity/relaxation which creates a perfectly balanced high.

16 Likes

India source of beans says they do flower for around 3 months, so that would be 13-14 weeks. That’s outdoor, so adding in 2 weeks of preflower on 12/12 would put it at 15-16 weeks on 12/12 to harvest.

2 Likes

I have the room at the moment. My flower room is empty but I will be filling it soon which will leave my veg room available. My question is who am I making the beans for? Are these to be passed around to the community? @Tracker

7 Likes

Hi @Oldjoints, it would be very generous of you to dedicate your time and resources to a co-op seed run.

The beans you make would get included into the next seed preservation co-op box after harvest.

This variety was approved for a co-op run here…

Once you have the run going, then post a journal thread here…

And eventually make a sign up wiki like you see on other seed co-op run threads.

I can send you up to 30 beans.

I dont have the space available to flower indoor, or I would run the seeds. I just get seeds from my outdoor once per year, and that train left a few months ago.

4 Likes

To be honest I don’t like how they distribute the seed but I am willing to take on this run and log my actions and then set up a sign up list as per the norm.
I would appreciate any and all information on the strain that you have. And thanks for sharing such genetics with the community!

9 Likes

I received the Sheelavathi beans from a contact in Tamilnadu India. I shared some beans from my garden, and he sent them back. He said it’s the heirloom strain that his people grow over there. His description sounds like sativa stretchy growth structure. He said it smells like curry spices. He said 3 month flower time outdoor, so adding an extra 2 weeks for 12/12 preflower would put it at 15 to 16 weeks under 12/12.

If I were going to do it, I would do a 2 week veg from seed and flip to 12/12 from there. I would suggest doing open pollination of whatever genders the beans give you, only culling out anything that looks really bad, but try to leave multiple males and females.

If you want to pop twice the number of beans that you plan to finish, I would be willing to pay for sex testing with rimrockanalytical. You can send samples from the first sets of true leaves, and we’ll know sexes within a week. Then you can cull down to the number you want to finish with known males and females.

@DougDawson copy/pasted a writeup from the internet a few posts up.

4 Likes

Sounds good brother, I am glad that I can at least cull males that are hermie or little to add to the strain. Open pollination is fine by me! If you are willing to pay for the sex testing than I am fine with that. I am also open to suggestion during the grow as i want the best results possible and don’t claim to know everything about anything.
Yes I read the description of what Doug posted and was the deciding factor in my deciding to take this on.

11 Likes

Great that you found a grower @Tracker. Can’t go wrong with @Oldjoints . Thanks for stepping up bud.

9 Likes

Thank you bro!
It’s an honor to work with those types of genetics……

9 Likes