Sex testing!

Yeah not liking the price, but with my limited space, the waiting and wondering and checking just to find out sex is annoying. I’d like to find my 8 females and focus on them.

2 Likes

Super happy. Takes the guess work out and I’ve never had a test come back incorrect. He’s not far from me so I usually get results back in two to three days (shipping and e-mail). Snip a half inch tip off a leaf, stick it in the small numbered envelope, stick the plastic number that matches the small envelope in the soil, send the numbered envelope to him, done.

3 Likes

Yeah sounds simple. Just wondered if everyone feels it’s worth the price. I think it is if I can know early and focus on the ones I want.

1 Like

Yeah I mean, if you have the money and you’re looking for specific genders, it can save you 1-2months of time. If I had the cash I’d pop all the ssdd I have left(40-60 beans) and run it through FarmerFreeman just to narrow down all the males to choose from :grin: sadly I’m too poor to do that lol

3 Likes

Very good point. In our case we run very small numbers, so it makes more sense for us. Even if I wanted to do a pollen chuck, I would want to know that I don’t have all males or females.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s been mentioned, but there is usually a Black Friday type sale where tests are $10 ea.

I use these tests and have for a few years now, super handy service. Only growing outdoor it allows me to plant young plants in big raised mounds with confidence in early spring. I can also light-dep small males to collect pollen for projects long before the females have even showed sex.

4 Likes

Interesting strategy. I’ve used the testing to remove males and get plants (females) going early in the season. The idea of then light depping the males is FANTASTIC. Collect pollen without risk of seeds where you don’t want em. Beautiful idea :bulb:

3 Likes

On going as we speak.

4 Likes

I buy some every year 50 or more for 9 a test. Great service

2 Likes

Oh yeah, already re-upped my supply for spring!

1 Like

A&L Canada Laboratory has service to the public in London Ontario.
Mind you it’s 30 for the first 11 then it goes down a bit.

2 Likes