Should I avoid breeding particular strains?

Gelato had more than 50 phenos I believe, it surprisingly has at least a few phenos that are very popular, which is partly due to marketing.
I agree it is unlikely to find a better pheno in a seed of a 12 pack, depends on the breeding, but it is very possible and more likely using science pheno hunting and multiple runs/tests.

1 Like

I have to say just cause something is a possible herm risk doesnā€™t mean itā€™s not worth working with, in my very humble opinion. I wouldnā€™t work with Cookies for multiple reasons, the herm factor is only a part of it. But other really popular heirloom varieties have come from bag seed that Iā€™d definitely consider worthy of working with. Chem Dog and GG4 just to name a couple. For me besides the herm factor, Cookies has a kind of emotionally numbing stone, which is not what Iā€™m looking for and somehow seems to aggravate my depression. A lot of Cookies progeny carries that effect for me so I generally just donā€™t go for em, but I have tried a couple that were pretty good that didnā€™t carry that effect. All that being said, if I was releasing work that Iā€™d done with something that was a known herm risk I would make it well known to consumers

3 Likes

Bro your a hater, americans bred sensi seeds whole catalog with different names (a thief stealing from a thief), not to mention greenhouse too. The Spanish seedbanks a very stable and affordable in my country. I grew from american seedbanks and thereā€™s no uniformity, generic btw.

If you take a pack crossed from two polyhybrid parents, just inbreed them using open pollination one time. Theyā€™re so heterozygous youā€™ll have a huge spectrum of things to clone hunt from. Thatā€™s what Iā€™d do.

4 Likes

So I have a pack of do si dos regular, I was thinking of finding the best male, cross it with a female do si dos and various other strains, sounds good? Should I pick multiple males?

1 Like

Depends on what youā€™re trying to do. Breeding it to itself is probably going to give you a lot of variation as it is. You just need to find a good mother. Why not use a whole pack and cross all good males to all good females? Your first inbred generation will be like growing half a dozen different strains. Itā€™s just a matter of growing enough plants to find something ā€œeliteā€ at that point.

6 Likes

In growing Barneys wedding cake now. It hermed on me. Probably environmental but I never did see bananas on the other 2 I was growing.

2 Likes

Well its harvested now but yeah I just grew it.

1 Like

Ok thanks, very insightful.

1 Like

Cookies isnā€™t anything like OG. Definitely gets itā€™s boring traits from some other genepool. It is unstable and will make intersexual traits the norm. Iā€™d avoid anything improperly bred. People seem to love the GG4, but same story with her. I never thought either were all that great smokewise either. Kinda boring highs. GG4 is also kinda a belligerent high. I prefer to get along with the people Iā€™m smoking with. I avoid that terpine profile right away now and donā€™t fall for the looks anymore.

1 Like

I would suggest countless hours of research on breeding and genetics, and not research from forums if it was posted after say 2010.
Do you want to ā€œBreedā€ or do you want to make seeds? There is a big difference there.
Anyone can throw shit at the wall and see if it sticks. Few can go into a breeding project well educated, with a goal in mind and a solid plan to get there.
There is nothing wrong with making your own seeds. That however is not breeding.
Good luck with your endeavor.

4 Likes

Well your suggestion itā€™s pointless, true hybrids come from distinct landraces, I been on the weed train for a long while, Iā€™m yet to learn something new from this site. Yet Iā€™m humble enough to hear.

1 Like

@anon27306389 a suggestion to do as much research as possible is pointless? Ok. Thats a new one.

2 Likes

Yes, some of you guys act a little snobbish for my taste, your answer did have an offensive connotation, tell me is not breeding. Just looking for a straight forward answer, not someone to tell me do countless hours of research.

@anon27306389 , my answer was not, and was not meant to sound snobbish. My suggestion was meant to offer some solid advice and save you months of wasted time and work. Sorry it came across that way to ya.
Hope everything works out. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Weā€™re good, letā€™s squash it. Happy growsā€‹:wink::+1:.

1 Like

Best pice if advice I can give you, grow the plant ,test them and discard what you donā€™t need, but the most important do it for fun and because you want it.

Personally at this point I wouldnā€™t go for any of them,but that is my opinion based on my taste and what I want to do in the next projects.

Called breeding, chuckling anything you want but donā€™t let anyone put you down, go for it, learn from this experience and do things better next time. Once you know how things work, go ahead do research along the way and keep improving.

Much luck with them hope to see your work.

2 Likes

I have a question, so I bought a pack of do si dos #4, I want to keep track of what Iā€™m breeding, so is this pack an f2, f3 or what? I canā€™t find no info, I sent a mail to advanced seeds asking, still waiting, it was not to long a long.
You guys have any idea?

Look for the breeders description of your Do si dos #4 - plus just google do si dos #4 and see if you find anything on your seeds ā€¦:+1:.
Happy growing,
Gaz

2 Likes

What breeder is the Do si Dos #4 from?

1 Like