Show your animal

Had one that used to visit my office at work every day. I would hear him banging on the glass “fighting with himself” :rofl:

6 Likes

I saw a show on Shiba inu’s & it was clear they are well uh a horrible tempered breed & way more like a cat. And this was from owners :sweat_smile: so it’s not any fault of @Somatek’s & good :+1: work

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Week 2 was 30% less chompy then the first and after a wonderful training session yesterday there hasn’t even been any growling or grumbling so we’re aiming for 100% drop in attempts to eat me. Lots of little signs he’s starting to feel more relaxed and comfortable instead of afraid.

3 Likes

Love and time will heal those wounds…for the better for the both of you I suspect.
:revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

Took my boy out for a little hike. He sure loves the snow. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Glad it all worked out with you and him. he is a beautiful dog.

6 Likes

Thank you Floyd! Again, really thankful for the support I received from this forum, from my friends, vet, etc. It was a pretty rough go at the start, but I’m really glad I stuck it out. Judging by his smiles, I think he is glad as well. :heart:

12 Likes

That’s Genki. He’s got to be the center of attention!

13 Likes

12 Likes

Woah theres a pet in that pic?! Haha nice

2 Likes

@Heliosphear

Need a shepherd picture

2 Likes

16 Likes

Week three has been a massive improvement, we had a session with a trainer last Saturday who suggested using a slip leash since most of the aggression was coming from reaching behind him. Which has defused his stress and helped him trust me, he’s been getting more affectionate all week as well as coming to me for reassurance when scared. Culminating tonight with him coming into my space to get scratches very tentatively and slowly moving in closer and closer until I had scratched every inch of the wee bugger. When he started leaning into me or raising his head with his eyes closed it was adorable. I fully realise this is just the beginning as he’s also become a lot more visibly/vocally reactive over the last week as he settles in more.

A couple other highlights from the week were getting his collar off so he could be more comfortable, I’m guessing by the faded fur lines he’s had it on for a good while. We haven’t had many long walks as he’s getting use to the new leash and pressure around his neck. He slipped out the one night when I was distracted and he fell behind, but luckily he was also distracted tracking a scent and I noticed first so managed to slip it back on before it was an issue. Hopefully we can go back to a harness sooner then later though as he seems to prefer it and it’s definitely safer. I baked him dog treats to both save money with how many we’re going through but mostly make sure he’s getting quality treats. He wasn’t impressed I wouldn’t let him eat his own face… Finally we learned a new trick accidentally as he started pawing me when frustrated doing training; so when he did that I switched to saying “paw” and opening my hand when he touched it with his paw. It worked really quickly and we’ve had fun learning a new trick. So, with all the massive progress made, combined with the number of other Shiba’s out there called Sushi; I’ve decided it’s only fit to change his name to Makizushi (Maki for short) as the evolved form of the wee terror. Plus he loves to roll and Maki is much easier to say repetitively when training.

22 Likes

This made a world of difference to Celia as well! She now freaks out with joy when she sees the slip leash come off the wall!

ezgif.com-gif-maker (16)

With Celia, she only now gets her collar ON when she gets take out for walks; and even then it’s for her tags as she uses the slip leash. Before she was weary about it, and now she freaks out with joy zoomies when she hears the tinkle-tinkle of her tags when it comes down off the wall with the slip.

THIS IS A GREAT NAME!

Fantastic work @Somatek and such a wonderful way to start my Sat AM (thank you!). If you’re this good with a troubled doggo your plants must be extra happy when you care for them! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :metal:

7 Likes

Still sticking to pets I won’t get overly attached to! Only downside is I’ve yet to find one that can play fetch! :rofl:

:call_me_hand:

15 Likes

16 Likes

24 Likes

Yep, good looking Shepards!

4 Likes

You in Texas? Im in Houston

2 Likes

Was most of my life, Dallas area. Now out in the PNW. Had a GS as a kid, wonderful member of the family, always up for an adventure!

2 Likes