Show your fresh and clean glass!

I have seen some bad ass set ups down there because of the people she knows and her family has live in the same area for decades as well!

2 Likes

@Slammedsonoma420 Very cool I’ve always wanted to do this, used to love watching popcorn and those guys do this stuff. Honestly it’s been on my to do list for 25-30 years, never realized it could be this simplified or downsized…… hmmm?

1 Like

yeah man its easy. i made this about 25yrs ago before all those shows came on. grew up in western NC during the summer when school was out and my dad always wanted one. so i decided one day i would make one for him. he just wanted to watch it be made though so it ended up in my living room. I actually make it on my balcony its that easy. the supplies 25yrs ago cost me about 500$+.

2 Likes

No way on the balcony too! That’s so awesome. My dad has these old vhs tapes of popcorn Sutton (not sure if you know him but apparently he was a legend of the still) they were clearly shot by some drunk guy with a crappy camcorder but it’s still cool too see. Those shows were actually comical to watch, like they would drag a film crew around with them etc. or put it on tv for millions to watch lol, reality my ass. That really is cool to me and I love that you did it this way, much respect :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

i think popcorn was actually in the same area of NC that i would visit and that my parents live. i never got a chance to meet him just heard a story or 2. thats amazing to have those videos, he is a legend in western NC.
Making it on the balcony is pretty funny. people can only see the top 2’ of the still when walking by and try to figure out what is going on up there. one tube runs from the bathtub/shower, and then a return line to the tub drain to condense the vapor. its really alot of fun but it has to be watered down/mixed 190 is basically rubbing alcohol. ive made it with pure sugar, mango, banana and mango, and a brown sugar. they all have a slight different smell and taste but not enough to make it worth while.

2 Likes

Oh ya that’s the good stuff! Mango and banana just sounds unreal, I’d love to see that in action. Ya my dad used to run with the big dogs and has some cool stories and those tapes he got from his NASCAR days (he worked for NASCAR for years and years) he has stories about some of that old shine too and the parties they would have for days on end out in the hills, he’s seen so much and it makes me feel like I’ve seen so little tbh. But I’m working on it, he’s got 30 years on me so I have time I suppose. I can imagine people looking like “wtf is that contraption?” Bet they would never guess a still on the balcony! So awesome!

1 Like

well down here in miami nobody has a clue!!!
My parents closest town to their house in NC is wilkesboro(45min) and thats the home of NASCAR. was so cool to drive by on sundays when the race track was still open.
Are you originally from around NC?

edit: if i remember correctly on the drive to the house from charlotte we would drive past richard pettys garage. and a good friend of ours was a highway patrol and he would tell us stories of pulling one of the other nascar drivers over numerous times.

2 Likes

Not at all, I’m from Canada in fact but my dad has been a big part of NASCAR for 25 years give or take. He also lived out there for years and years a long while ago. We’ve traveled the civil war cities/states etc and I’ve been all over those areas in my younger days. Always loved it out there, different vibe than a lot of the US I find, especially in the small towns, timid until they trust you then they will cook you a meal, with a side of shine and give you the shirt off of their back. I always have a good feeling when thinking back about those times/people and the great times we had. I agree there’s nothing like that rumble and noise of a stock car track in action, the smell of the rubber, pretzels, popcorn and good old southern BBQ :drooling_face: Oh man the memories are golden, truly.

2 Likes

My pal Monty got caught growing too many times. “Next time’s a long time.” He started making hootch for all the growers on the ridge for years. He made a killing!

3 Likes

Entrepreneurship at its finest! Love it

2 Likes

Oh man my dad would go nuts! You should see his memorabilia collection, he’s got signed pieces of cars from everyone but his prized possession are his petty and rusty wallace stuff. So cool

1 Like

actually i was going to say the retired trooper would pull over rusty wallace but i could be mistaken. i would have to ask my pops. it really was cool back in the day. i mean who else makes a sport out of running illegal moonshine! thats awesome.

eidt: he says he thinks it was dick trickle (yes thats a real name), or morgan sheppard.

2 Likes

Haha I know of dick trickle, and shepherd as well, so cool!! That’s the stuff I love to hear, ahh the good old days, still feel I was born a few decades late.

2 Likes

Do you have the plans for your double reflux? I bought a 7 gallon S.S. milk jug for that purpose.

2 Likes

It was 25yrs ago I’m sorry I don’t. There should be plenty of them available online, now.
The column on mine is filled with marbles as well for surface area. If I did it again I’m not sure I would do the double or any reflux. I had a buddy who even told me to remove it(reflux), he did it on his. I can’t remember what his reasoning was though. This is 15yrs ago.

Good luck if you have any questions that I can remember I’m happy to help.

1 Like

I appreciate that. I’ll give the Internet a search.

1 Like

Hell yeah. I wouldn’t wanna end up with an abscessed pipe. :face_with_thermometer: I’d have to go in for stem canal surgery.

2 Likes

I’m a weirdo I know, I just wanted to see some shiny glass.:rofl:

2 Likes

I stopped using Alcohol to clean my bongs.
Now I use PBW ( powered brewery wash) and a small bottle brush.
It works great!
You can find it at homebrew supply stores.
I’m a home brewer and have lots of it. It really doesn’t need much brushing. It starts working instantly and you can see it dissolving the resin. It’s pretty cool to see.

6 Likes

I put my bowls/small bong pieces in a glass jar in the microwave with iso and kosher salt. About 15 seconds, or until it boils. Be ready, lol it happens fast. Good for the hard to reach crusties.

when it’s cool enough, I ziplock it and give her a shake. I save the wash for another cleaning or two.

No metal shit goes without saying g

3 Likes