A Better Way to Clean the Resin Off Yer Hands

We all know trimming sucks. My least favorite part, though, is the sticky fingers and resin buildup. I could wear gloves, but I’m not very dexterous and my hands are huge, so gloves fit me poorly, even the big ones. I used to use isopropyl to get the resin off, but it will fuck up your hands if you do it too much, plus isopropyl is literally impossible to buy in stores lately (always sold out).

Then someone told me to use cooking oil. Rub a teaspoon of it on your hands and fingers, then wash off with dish soap. HOLY CRAP it took it right off and my hands are more moisturized than when I started.

It may not be a new technique, but it’s new to me, it works BETTER than alcohol, and I wanna shout it from the rooftops. I’d literally never heard of this technique before, ever.

35 Likes

I second that this works well. I use alcohol, then oil, then soap. Clean as a whistle.

6 Likes

It’s one of those things that seems so damn simple in retrospect, like dissolves like.

I’ve dropped a lump of hash into warm oil for edibles before, and it dissolved instantly. But, I never even considered it as a possibility.

You’d really think 3 months later we could get ahold of isopropyl but it’s empty shelves everywhere.

6 Likes

I can’t find isopropyl anywhere either, I am not so much worried about my hands, but my pipes are gumming up quickly.

9 Likes

D-limonene will clean pipes, and it smells awesome, and it’s cheap and available.

Paint thinner will also de-gunk pipes lickety-split, but you gotta do it outside.

4 Likes

I’ve used Pam spray , which is made with canola oil to clean wooden bud busters before . worked well .

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip. And I see that it’s readily available.
:+1:

3 Likes

I’ve found coconut oil with a bit of liquid dish soap works. Very well also .

3 Likes

You can clean almost any oil based paint off your hands with cooking oil / dishwashing soap combo. Even paint brushes too. Never though to try it for sticky fingers thanks!

4 Likes

Simple green is awesome for that too, and it works very well for cleaning pipes also. They claim it’s all natural and non toxic, it’s really nice stuff.

5 Likes

Simple Green does work for pipes and hands, they even claim you can drink it haha (it does smell delicious and it looks like green river soda), it’s just not very “aggressive” I’ve found. Definitely takes longer to de-gunk a pipe but hot simple green works pretty good.

2 Likes

We should re-brand Murphy’s Oil Soap as hydro-store tool and hand cleaner, charge $20/cup haha.

3 Likes

Huh I find it’s just as good as ISO or those store bought pipe cleaners… I’m sure mine aren’t as filthy as yours though :grimacing:

I’ve always used hand sanitizer, its basically isopropyl with skin conditioners in it. But with it being hard to find, I may use the cooking oil trick next.

3 Likes

Pot of boiling water will fix you right up. Also, try a ‘compounding’ store for alcohol (yes you will pay more than $1.19 it used to be at Walmart)

2 Likes

@MotherTeresa Thanks for the tip, but I don’t think it would work on my pipes, because I only use wooden corn cobs. I wouldn’t risk boiling them. And I only ever use the alcohol on the pipe cleaners I use to ream them out with. However, others may benefit from your advice.

2 Likes

99% Isopropyl is available on Amazon at the moment, I just ordered a gal… but the oil works also lol

@Calyxander to clean glass bowls pour in a little table salt followed but rubbing alcohol. Cover holes with your fingers and shake for about 1 min.

1 Like

I do not use glass bowls. Only corn cobs.

4 Likes

I also use the old corncob bowls lol luv em

1 Like