Show your Knuckles! (Super Crop)

Apparently @Mr.Sparkle has his own technique that I was told by @KingGhidora was like “super cropping” maybe he would be nice enough to explain it to both of us

2 Likes

i can’t show mine or the girls’ (no camera yet) but i have just started a variation on this technique after reading Soma’s Organic Cannabis book. also, it seems there are variations of topping/training and the word “supercropping” applied to more than one(?) my first encounter with the term was Jorge’s purple book in which a plant is topped after the 2 largest bottom branche segments. i did this several times now and it is a great technique for space/profile mgmt & more uniform branches. i find that 6 branches is ideal & 8 too crowded(so the 3rd segment is topped).

and now i’ve started bending to the near-point of kinking/cell-rupture…Soma-style, but less rough(in his book he shows a nasty wounded bend going grey-brown…ugh! :astonished:). i aim to only bend & form, not damage the branches, to gain the bushiness & reduce stretch, and it’s working beautifully. i like it. :slight_smile: the big caveat is that some plants are stronger than others & there’s somewhat of a permanent learning curve because of it. also, the time of day seems to affect the response, with morning being ideal, afternoon not-so.
(matches the harvest-in-the-morning rule too).

and there’s almost certainly at least one fertilizer or some nute crap out there with the same name, heheh…(…ReikoX?)

:evergreen_tree: <-- hates bending because he’s stiff & old & knuckley

1 Like

I did a experiment this round and tried to see how much was too much when rupturing cell for a bend. I smashed one down to the skin, it split and I thought for sure it would fall off. It’s flowering just fine, nasty flat and 4 way split. I can’t even see where anything would get to the rest of the limb. Yes it’s slightly stunted, but it’s still doing what it does. I honestly feel like you get better bud site development when damaging cell slightly vs just a gentle bend. When I harvest I will try to take pics of this experiment, I took a single plant, got rough with 2 tops, and put a gentle bend in 2 tops. Should give me concrete data, that I will share.

I’m a noob so I’m sure this has already been done 1000 times, but it’s what I do in my garden lol

-Jekyll

3 Likes

Chopped this male down today it has a nice bend in it! To the compost pile it goes!

6 Likes

I have been looking for a thick enough knot to work into a pipe. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Medicinal properties of Male plants

All good by me! Clutter away

3 Likes

I wanna try this. Is it done in veg? Do you have to do it when the stems are solid or hollow?

Its done in veg as a form of High Stress Training. I like to bend and tie for low stress, but some times i need this limb at a 90* right here hehe… Snap crackle pop… Perfect!

1 Like

There are quite few articles on supercropping in our #advanced-techniques-experiments:growfaq. Essentially it is traning and using ties (similar to Scrog). It is often combined with stem crushing:

3 Likes

My 50State F1 Bodhi OrangeSunShine1 … all knuckley & see the neem overspray sunburn :fire:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

This girl I have tilted over pretty good plus a nice thick knuckle wondering how much bigger her trunk is going to get ! Going to take a saw to get this bitch down! lol

4 Likes

if you can, just shear it off at the ground level & let the “soil food web” magic eat up the roots. :rainbow: :comet: :wheel_of_dharma:

or just tie it to your bumper & :blue_car: give it a 5’ drive. :wink:

:evergreen_tree: heh

4 Likes

Love what your throwing down here @cannabissequoia after all the roots have nutes! Eh?

3 Likes

Lol you mean most people don’t leave the root ball?? I have never pulled my roots out of the ground

3 Likes

super bump. miss you @Hoodini :wave:

:evergreen_tree:

7 Likes

Loving your mulch man! That’s great stuff!

2 Likes

Bumping this thread!

5 Likes

I’ll get some closeups my next round of it or once these fully heal

3 Likes

This was supercropped and is also tied down. Really curious what this 20 gal beast will finally yield