Solar "Ghetto" growing with Hoodini

Just noticed this. . .thanks man, it looks ghetto af but I’m pretty happy with it none the less. . .

A little size comparison, it’s only 5"x 6"
I’m thinking it’s small enough to increase lumen by making the area of illumination smaller, but big enough to grow 1 plant with hopefully great results

2 Likes

As a side project i may imitate your work here. But I’m gonna cut the Ali on my chop saw cos those edges are gonna give me sleepless nights :disappointed_relieved: I actually have a tent that would be the perfect size for that I’m “micro rigging” for a mates girlfriend. (She doesn’t even grow just wanted to set me a challenge) she even wants a carbon filter. That’s gonna be a single cob in the mini tent for lighting but solar cutting light is tempting me

2 Likes

Well then please let me tempt you some more. . . In the next feel months I’ll be getting the money to make my own ghetto tesla powerwall. . . I’ve been researching everything and I think i should be able to ghetto rig a lith-ion 1.8 kwh solar battery, to run my place and a whole grow setup with 12 + of my ghetto grow lights for less than $500 usd!!!. . . I will also be turning this prototype into a PORTABLE battery operated grow light that runs off rechargeable batteries😁 so stay tuned and let me fail before trying this at home😁🖒

3 Likes

You’ll definitely need to tag me there. I’m not gonna pretend I know what a Tesla powerwall is but I’ll certainly have to do some reading to find out. I don’t even think we could get the battery at that price here lol

I’ll be making my own BIG battery out of hundreds of little batteries🖒

1 Like

Please be sure to document it here, if you could. I for one would love to see and maybe try it.

3 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle got my new phone and tried out the lux app, I’m rocking 61,030 lumens. . .but at less than an inch away lol. . .still not bad for only 5 of the led strips. . . When I get all 50 running it should go up I hope
Edit- in direct sunlight right now it says it’s only at 58,783 lumens lol, I’m going to end up having to buy a nice par meter I guess

2 Likes

Order placed for my ghetto tesla power wall and the upgrades for the ghetto grow lights​:+1::+1: woo hoo cant wait

3 Likes

Are you going to go 24V or 48V on the bank?

1 Like

Im staying 12v , for the price I just spent in materials I can easily buy and make another 12v Powerwall and cross over both of them to run 24v down the road. . . I decided to not go so big on the powerwall and get a little bit nicer electronics for the ghetto light, but I’ll be building 4 of them and running them, and my fridge, off the powerwall. . .hopefully. . .I could end up blowing myself up but if it wasn’t a little dangerous it wouldn’t be fun right lol👍

3 Likes

Isn’t that going to be an awful lot of serial wiring for 1800W? You would be looking at only 3 groups of 200 battery, right?

1 Like

I bought 200 of the 18650 6000mah 3.7v batteries and I will be running them in parallels of 50 batteries each then run 4 sets of 50 in a series, to make a total of 14.4 volts

3 Likes

Being a long time vaper, I can tell you that you will not get 6000Mah out of an 18650. maybe 3500, but that’s it.

There was a thing a few years ago with a dump of Chinese batteries that were said to be 6000Mah, even some that said they were 9000. but when you actually used them, they would be lucky to be 1500 to 2000. It is best to stick with the LG’s or Sanyo’s (3000 to 3500 Mah, High drain) which are fine if you are buying a few at a time. Just keep that in mind when you get these. Also, if you don’t already have one, get a Nicore charger or a RC Charge controller so you can actually test your batteries and find out exactly what they will hold.

3 Likes

Well we are going to find out how them cheap Chinese batteries hold up lol, it was cheap enough to try them out, so as long as they run my ghetto lights I’ll be happy, and then I’ll go better quality when making one for the house

2 Likes

You don’t have to tell me. I have had a FEW of them myself. Never seem to have the $20 for a pair of LG’s when I need them, but always the $10 for them.

1 Like

Lol I picked up 200 for 126 bucks soooooo it was wayyyyyy more worth it lol

3 Likes

@WMoon518 I couldn’t wait for the parts to come in lol, so I rigged my tester up to a 5v 2.1a output phone charger pocket juice battery pack and boom look at this. . .

She’s been on now for about a half hour and the battery pack was fully charged so I will see how long this battery pack runs the 5 led strip and do some math to figure out exactly were I need to be battery size to run a full size ghetto light rig
Edit- that whole area would be pitch dark if the lights weren’t on

5 Likes

@Hoodini, That’s a cool tester. Where did you get it?

So if your meter is right, you have two batteries, in parallel, each with a capacity of 445Mah, that will power a 1A circuit for a little less than a half hour? I do have a suggestion, I know they say LiPo batteries don’t need it, but I have found, with vaping anyway, that just charging before you first use them doesn’t give you a true capacity. For mine, which are usually 2600Mah -3000Mah, I charge them to 4.2v and them either put a load on them (test mode on the charger) or vape with them and bring them down to the cutoff for my mod (2.8v - 3.0v). Then when I charge them they have a much higher capacity. For something you are not going to charge/discharge regularly, I would think about this before assembly. With some it can take two cycles, but when down to 2.9v I will usually put in 1800 or so, but first cycle can sometimes be only 1400-1500. if this happens just do another cycle. it usually brings it up to normal capacity.

2 Likes

Lol I meant my tester light, the “meter” is a buck boost with a voltmeter on it, but is tells me the voltage and amperage coming in from the battery and out to the lights because i can adjust both input and output . . .It’s set on output right now, so that’s 4.2 volts and .89a being pushed to the lights. It doesn’t tell me actually output from the battery, but with the lights set at 5v and 1.4amp, that battery pack ran those lights for 2.5 hours. . . But the battery capacity is 3.7v/4800mah so that’s about 1 cheap Chinese 6000mah 18650, maybe 2 lol, and I’ll be running 100x that for my powerwall (I’m calling it a powerbox now)

1 Like

Lol so I rechecked my order and the batteries I’m getting are made and sold from the US. . .I wonder if that means they will only put out 1000mah now hahaha

1 Like