Sour Bubble from the man, the legend, BOG

Sad to read the last few days updates, but way to jump back in the saddle! :crossed_fingers: :seedling:

4 Likes

There is no defeat, this run will happen brother. I also get to keep learning which is amazing.

13 Likes

There’s no stopping place bro! Until there is.
:thinking:

5 Likes

Was BOG using pistilate males? Maybe him and DJ Short we’re on to something.

6 Likes

I had this thought briefly. I know DJ advocated for intersex males as he believed they passed more female traits

9 Likes

I wish I knew more about it but I just don’t. Hopefully this time around I get males that don’t turn out as hermies.

6 Likes

I’d be in the same boat Doug, only know what I’ve heard from more qualified breeders, I wouldn’t feel comfortable swimming in those waters personally

3 Likes

So 3 plants culled and my last 3 seeds from original pack germinated. They seem to want to grow so into coco they go.

36 Likes

They look pretty healthy, especially the one in the middle!! Way to go Doug!!! :pray: :hugs:

4 Likes

It is not universally true, but I feel that in some cases a male that has pistils is a positive trait. It is my belief that it can reflect increased female hormone production, which actually improves sexual stability of females. It can also occur in lines with hermaphroditism (pollen sacs on females at the main stem where preflowers occur).

In my experience, if there are not pollen sacs on the females by now, then the females will not show a single stamen in late flower either, because of the enhanced sexual stability. Those are the males DJ short was talking about, and they can pass on their good qualities in outcross as well.

Edit: in theory, it would be technically wrong to call these hermaphrodites at all if this is true. They are males that are responding to female hormones, just like how females reverse when the hormone is inhibited by CS or STS.

16 Likes

So are you saying that culling those males was wrong @lefthandseeds ? I hear different things from different people so it makes it difficult for someone like myself to make informed decisions. I just didn’t want to introduce hermie Gene’s into the community. Culling them seemed like the right thing to do but I just dont know.

10 Likes

I’m saying you can’t determine from the males alone. In some cases I don’t think it’s caused by hermaphroditism, but by hormones.

If you have 2 female with no pollen sacs that finish with no nanners, then there’s little chance the males were herms.

There’s only two options I’ve seen when you have males with pistils: either hermaphroditism and tons of nanners in the females, or no intersex in the females whatsoever. You will not be certain whether it was right or wrong until potentially the end of your grow. But true hermaphroditism (females with pollen sacs) you can usually see them forming by now. Look along the main stem where the preflowers are.

19 Likes

I have not seen any signs of sacs on the females but everything I read about males that have pistils said it’s a hermaphrodite. Well shit, those males looked amazing until pistils started showing. The thought that I killed those 3 beautiful plants if I didnt need to is really disturbing.

13 Likes

I’ve read similar to what LHS is saying. Didn’t want comment as it has been over a decade since reading and i can’t find the info/book. Basically stating a feminine male is not bad… a masculine female is bad. There was way more Xy/xY Yx/yX talk but you get the idea. This may be broscience at its finest so take with a grain of salt. If all seeds are from the same stock, the females stay true and any new male show the same trait hopefully we can find some solid answers by then. Best wishes moving 4th!!!

9 Likes

I posted this last week regarding pistillate males

Chat between genetics buffs

Please excuse the language

6 Likes

I think the role of hormones in sexual expression is often under-appreciated. One day all of these things will be understood from hemp research, because there is value to monoecious plants in certain circumstances, and it is not as easy to retain as you would expect.

Anyway, we’re all learning as we go, so don’t beat yourself up. After having grown enough males of enough strains, I’ve learned you have to judge males by their female siblings. It’s a bit of an uneasy feeling to see pistils on a male, but in some strains, it does not mean bad things for the girls (quite the opposite it seems).

16 Likes

No, you made the right call based on the information at hand. :+1:
Don’t second guess or beat yourself up.

Cheers
G

17 Likes

Don’t be upset about the decision that many of us advised you to make. Truth is, if you were to move forward with them and used their pollen to make the beans, you may have been safe - but maybe not…

With a seed run, I think we all want to be 100% certain that we’re not breeding hermies and passing along junky genetics.The only way you would know for sure is if you made the seeds, then tested a number of them for their stability. Not exactly an ideal seed run situation.

Frankly, I was thinking you would get offers from others who’ve collected pollen from their own Sour Bubble males. If I had it, I would’ve offered it up in a heartbeat.

But, again, you can’t regret your decision. I would’ve done the exact same thing in your situation; with the only difference being: I cut clones from everything I grow from seed before I put them into 12/12. I NEVER don’t have backups of anything I grow until I know I’m finished with it. And in the event that I cull a plant because it’s shown hermie traits, I grow the clones out in a different medium and with different nutes just to be sure it was the genetics and not the growing methods.

20 Likes

You, Sir, make a lot of sense. I may just have to start stalking you. :wink:

7 Likes

Thanks all. The girls are looking fine and 3 long tails have hit coco. The 9ther 2 seeds from the other batch have cracked but tails have not pushed out yet.

47 Likes