Spaceman's Tiger Jack Seed Giveaway - Giveaway has ended

Oddly enough I never tracked those dates, I have to dig out my pics and check the dates on those for an idea.

2 Likes

I’m not sure. Let me try again. Forgive me if I ramble a lil bit.

So we’ll call the wild plant, baseline growth.
If we make an identical environment indoors we’d get a plant too big to manage. But every change to the environment changes hormone production, giving us different phenotypes from the same cut.

If we decrease the light intensity too much, it’ll kick in a shade avoidance response in the form of gibberellic acid. It’s the same hormone that tells a seed to wake up and burn it’s starches. It tells the plants they’re not getting enough light, and to burn their stored sugars to fuel upward growth. Outdoors that doesn’t come into play unless you get a large number of overcast days or a lot of shade.

We could pinch the main top, to cut off most of the auxin production and let cytokinins take over as the main driving hormone. Cytokinins is what makes the plants bush out when we top em, and is why coconut water and sprouted seed teas increase secondary growth. They increase cytokinins levels above auxin.

There’s also chemical pinchers. I want to say brassinosteroids but I’d have to look it up. Theoretically, if you spray it on a pure sativa before flower starts it’ll dissipate to undetectable levels by harvest time, but I’m not sure if that’s true or not. They’re also sold as bud hardeners, but they’re explicitly labeled as “not to be used on plants intended for consumption.”

So in the wild the plants get crazy light intensity so they don’t need to stretch unless they’re shaded, but they don’t have any height or time restrictions. If we want to limit their height we need to limit their energy, but if we do that by decreasing the intensity we get giberellic acid and stretchy ass plants.

So. By keeping light intensity as high as possible we keep gibberellic acid production to a minimum while shortening the day length to keep actual growth to a minimum as well.

If that makes any sense at all. Lmfao.

5 Likes

What you said makes sense for veg but I don’t see how that triggers flowering.
If you’ve ever grown breadseed poppies the reverse is true, high intensity, long daylength triggers the flowering mechanism.
It usually peaks at the summer solstice, right about now.

Turkish Red with Wild Lettuce

As I said above growing in a 12/12 state from seed, the plant must respond to it’s internal clock and there must be some hormonal trigger that occurs along the way.
I just know that flipping this plant from veg to 12/12 doesn’t make it flower reliably and you practically have no chance to finish outdoors at my latitude.

@mike28086

Good news!
I found some old pics that reminded me I planted the parent seed of this grow March 28th 2014 under 12/12. A day before the New Moon.
It took about 7 to 10 days to sprout and 6 weeks to flower enough for pollination and about 40 - 50 days after pollination before seed set. Momma never grew over 2 ft.
I dried and harvested seed on 8/18/2014.
If there is any correlation between seed set times and those for optimum bud harvest then TJ would be ready from seed sprout in 12 - 14 weeks in a 12/12 grow environment.
It’s been a while since I’ve run a grow 12/12 from seed, I’ll have to revisit this next TJ grow.

3 Likes

o.k., but that was for seed harvesting, I’ve never harvested seeds. Does that not take a longer period of grow time than for just trying to produce quality buds? I am trying to determine if these plants for normal production in a 12/12 environment (typing that word always gets my fingers twisted for some reason) would take 9 - 12 weeks for charting purposes. I like to plan things out a ways… thanks again for all the information,

regards.

There’s a worthy question to ask this board!

4 Likes

would you like the honor?

2 Likes

Already done. Looky here.

1 Like

Oooooooh. Yeah that’s just controlled by sexual maturity. As soon as they are old enough they’ll start flowering, but only because they’re already under 12/12.

2 Likes

If a plant gets pollinated at week 3 of flower, which is about minimum time to mature enough for best results, then the flower time is about the same or maybe even shorter in a sativa. My sativa got pollinated mistakenly last year and it finished sort of early I thought, for a sativa. Not 100% sure on the sativa though. Some may still take 16 weeks to make seeds, too. My observations are on mostly hybrids. If a plant gets pollinated late in flower I think the flower still dies off almost at the same time and maybe with seeds that don’t mature.

It’s a good question to try and understand the details in the timing. Some strains may perform different, I don’t know.

2 Likes

And me thinking for some of these longer flowering sativas that seeds might make it mature faster. Job one is seeds and they make in 6-7 weeks IME but not enough runs to say.

1 Like

The white spots are remnants of diatomaceous earth powder I was targeting gnats with. The spot you are pointing to with the red arrow, is the tip of a leaf from behind. Sorry for just now responding, hard to get to the computer sometimes.

regards,

2 Likes

Thanks, you should see my Zamaldelica grow, the tent’s in the garage and I have plenty of bugs.
Plants are doing well.
I’ll post up pics later.

2 Likes

This is the top of one of your Tiger Jack that I had to tie over cuz she stretched so much.
Sorry for bad pic.

9 Likes

lol
droopy drawers, or is that a lowrider?
sum hung low.

How’d she smoke?
Did you like the high?

Once you identify the vining type you can grow that one outdoors and disguise it among other vines.

2 Likes

I really abused her. Had lots of problems with the setup during the flower.
Having said that it’s a nice clear buzz I find. Not too strong and good daytime smoke. I get a lot of pine air freshener out of her.

4 Likes

Cool thread! I get a sort of sick pleasure from watching people try to tame real sativas indoors lol. Its very satisfying to see the results too. I don’t have the heart, I think the stress would kill me lol

3 Likes

Odor and a disapproving spouse have been sufficient motivation for me.

2 Likes

Man, that looks like a dish best served hot, imo.
I’m pretty active and TJ works for me, though not as uplifting as regular Jack Herrer.

2 Likes

Yes Jack is good. Hmm Jack and Jack smoke and drink. Sorry got on a tangent there. :joy:

3 Likes

Anyone have updated flower pictures of the tiger jack.

3 Likes