Spaceman's Zamaldelica Grow

Went out and aboot (as my Canadian friends would say) today and got some snaps of thimbleberries in flower.
These are almost purple, unusual I’d say.

Here’s what mine look like,

5 Likes

Let’s do an update.

Zam 1
23", plant from soil line only

Nothing to report yet.

Zam 2
20" Plant from soil only

Zam 3
shorter (forgot to measure)

TJ 1
Shortest.

Sorry for the bad pics, try another device next time

16 Likes

No Zam pics atm but here is an outdoor grow update Purple Heart/Loco Mota F1 autos cross.

Not at all reminiscent of of either plant as the Purp Heart had huge fat leaves, these are more sativa like.
Loco Mota had fatter leaves as well but not close to PH.
The runt is marked and the big plant is tallest of the four, 12".

The other two.
Mis I’D the companions in the pots.
Most likely fireweed,
https://www.ediblewildfood.com/fireweed.aspx

8 Likes

Zam update,

Zam 2
Male

Zam 1
Female

Zam 3
Female

TJ 1
Female

So one male to 3 females.
I shouldn’t be surprised, my luck has been remarkable lately.
It manages to save me from my stupidity which is miraculous in itself.

Just after my last Zam update I was in the tent and noticed a convergence of webbing in the upper corner with dots inside that moved.
Just one pump of organic OTC insect spray managed to wipe them out and about 1/2 of my plant’s foliage too.
Rosemary, peppermint and other organic oils.
Even though I didn’t see the overspray, the damage was done.

Oddly enough, the plants seemingly have benefited from the defoliation and are strong and healthy.

Poppers (?) brand nematodes, inserted about 2" deep in 3 spots in each pot.

8 Likes

Who am I kidding?
1 male/ 3 female!!!
Whooo-HOOOOOOO!

4 Likes

So it occurred to me that taking flowering clones may not work if the female is pollinated.

The Zam male (Zam 2) is ready to pop.
So I took some clones.

Zam 3 with the black ties.
Zam 1 without.

Once the girls are pollinated, I’ll try it though.

9 Likes

Hmmm, interesting topic for further research. Your hypothesis is that since the plant the cut came from is seeded it will not reveg?

4 Likes

I’ll try it and see, but that is the worry.
I had a disaster with the clones I took yesterday.
I found them bent, with the stem below the bend limp and lifeless.
Emergency measures were taken but these were weak, lower, out of the light zone side shoots that had inches between internodals. Floppy to begin with.

Just took one from each female.
In Zerowater with a scraping of aspirin.
First time I will be using aspirin as a rooting hormone.

3 Likes

Putting this out there for general advice, I just raised my lights to the limit, plants have about 20 " to the top of the tent, 1 ft to the lights.

Has anyone placed their lights on the tent sides at this point? I’ve still 20".
Or maybe a vertical orientation with the lights fastened in the corners?
I’m considering this instead of topping.

2 Likes

My Zamaldelicas all stretched for a looooong time, but if you started flowering on the 24th, they should be relatively close to their final height, right? They looking like they’re gunna pass that 12” leeway?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder!

I’ve had sativa’s add a third their height in flower so, yeah I should be good.
Just remeasured, 24" ht to tent top/ 8" to lights.
This is always the problem with screw ins.
8" loss of headroom from these 120 watt + fixture heights.

2 Likes

I’ve only run clones of em, but they just kept going and going and…
Lol…

2 Likes

Hope everything works out bro. Zamaldelica is a hardy strain. I guess I got the bushy one but mine was feminized though… Maybe more stable as a S1?

2 Likes

Hey Spaceman! I have not yet experienced a full Zamaldelica stretch indoor but when I grew them on my balcony I had to top them a couple of time even during flower to keep them low.
For my current indoor run, I was hoping to let them grow naturally but eventually I decided to do some preventive training while they are still stretching and the stalks are still easy to bend.
If you could post a picture of the plants inside the tent, it would be easier to see, but from the last pictures of your plants they still have a lot to go before they stop streching. If you are worried about height, it might be the time to act!

2 Likes

Thanks tomGT.
That sounds like reasonable advice, I’ll post up a pic w/natural light tomorrow too but after I read your post I went in the tent and realized I can still attach the lights to the tent frame by taking out the light pulleys.
Get another 8 ’ or so.
I’ve become a fan of training rather than topping but the reality is 4 plants in 3 gal pots in a 24" X 48" x 72" tent fills it right up, no space to train!
The TJ is a shorty, almost a runt by comparison.
Once pollinated she could be stuck outdoors getting some room back.
We are still getting over 16 hours of daylight here, so that might be another experiment to run.

I remember being real crabby finding out the tent I ordered wasn’t 60" tall too.
They sent me the taller size when they ran out of the 60 inch tents.

4 Likes

Still some headroom,

Females be like “I luvs me a tall guy”!

12 Likes

So the original clones I took look miserable, outdoors they have gone!

Today is 21 days into flower, the “perfect” time to pick flowering clones.
But and it’s a biggie, the male started tossing pollen.
So I’m gonna wander out there and maybe take one or two.
The second set of clones is doing well in H2O, so maybe I’ll stick to that and get some water roots.

5 Likes

U trying to toss up some zamaldelica pollen? Ima cross it to a model cement if your down lol
Throw u some seeds back ofc.
Cheers

lol
I’ve read your post 3 times and forgive my ignorance, I don’t understand what you’re saying.

Do you want me to save you some pollen?

1 Like

So here are the surviving clones.
No rooting hormone though I did scrape some aspirin into the two on the right.
The two on the left I took today.

Thanks everybody for the advice on the headroom issue!,
Looking at my tent today and the pics of my hangers gives me at least some room to go yet.
These plants are really flexible still, I shouldn’t have too much problem tying them down a bit,
And ruh roh, Zam 2 had a lil accident,

My three Zamaldelicas

Many thanks to @DanzaKuduro for the excellent trade.

Going forward I am hoping to grow all three together for some 2-3 weeks to really get some solid seed set.
After which I will remove the male for pollen harvesting.

My use of the natural methods I espouse upthread has resulted in very successful grows. After years of experiment/rejection, experiment/rejection, of many different ways to grow plants indoors, I have finally found a stable, low maintenance organic method that produces superior bud.

No comparison at all to my previous dabbling in hydro and hempy, … the quality of the bud, the happy healthy plants and vigorous seed have sealed the deal for me.

I think the only way to improve upon this would be to automate the watering.
And of course ReikoX and Sebring have a no till method that gets more interesting each time I read their posts.

Thanks everybody again for the interest and good advice.
Stick around please, you folks have been my good luck on this grow.

9 Likes