Spill ur' Beans

the collection keep growing mainly my own chucks.

30 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about! Nice looking box! :+1:

5 Likes

Wow I thought I had issues !

5 Likes

I hope you start taking better care of those, fridge would be nice, freezer is optimum.
Thatā€™s quite a collection to.loose in a few years due to mishandling.

9 Likes

thats a huge stock makes my 9 seeds look shamefull lol:joy:

3 Likes

May I ask, do you have any tips for storing seeds in the freezer?

4 Likes

Geez thats a lot of seeds.

2 Likes

Hey @Swampthing. I hope youā€™re doing well creating more magical crosses. Help an old hippie understand a concept that I canā€™t seem to get a grip on.
Iā€™m looking at Snowhighā€™s gear on the seed site. He has some circa 72 Colombian Gold. Now I love me some Colombian Gold and have sought it for years. He has these seeds listed for $325 for 10 regs.

1. Do you know people that pay $300+ for a pack of seeds?
  2. Have you paid $300+ for a pack of seeds?
  3. Why would someone do that?

Are you familiar with Snowhigh? Do you believe the seeds are legit?

8 Likes

Mine are in the freezer 100% of the time, I store in dark 1/2 gram bottles.
Iā€™m sure plastic would be fine, A bit of OCD on the glass.

I put silica gel beads in with the midst.

Then I put them in groupings, you can do this by breeder, strain, or however makes them easily accessible.

Seeds to rebuild the world vault is in the North Pole, why settle for less.

7 Likes

Hell ya perfect pic to show the wife ,if she falls for it Iā€™ll be good to collect more!

And I thought my small container was excessive ainā€™t got nothing on you @argo945

4 Likes

Thanks i have been wondering im still getting some germ on my 20 yr old stuff just like 10% though would the fridge/freeze help that much? most of these are the last 15 yrs of chucking but I am always moving forward so most of this needs to see some new homes however itā€™s all mostly un tested gear and well iā€™m just gonna leave that where it lies. Also my desk is in the cellar constant temp and low humidity and is lovingly called the fridge.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got some 20+ year beans that still pop 75-80%

I was reading some where that seeds should actually go thru a winter or a simulation of one.
If you keep them in that state like The Great SeedBank they stay fresh for a long time.

I also believe that cold/freeze gives them a bit more of nitrogen to help with the shucking of the hull.

7 Likes

thanks for the knowledge drop

4 Likes

Imagine if all of those were planted in a big Field open pollination for a couple years wonder what would take over

5 Likes

I must have read something similar.
I always put seeds in the freezer for at least an hour before starting germination.
Not sure how much time is needed to trigger an effect, but it hurts me none to do it.
Also a sanitizing seed dip in hydrogen peroxide has benefits beyond killing pathogens but I cannot recall the specifics on that one, either.
So I hit all the bases: freezer, hydrogen peroxide, and finally super dilute recharge for inoculation and minor kelp effects. Probably overkill.

5 Likes

By inoculation do you mean the soak? Thanks. Interesting ideas. Iā€™ve been growing for lots of years and I find myself struggling with seeds and seedlings these days.

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™ll tell ya, that other club I was at the whole lot had pm and some were making beans with moms with pm, not a good thing. Along with mites but it seemed to of been every where at the time.
But those were put out thru the community, which I thought was wrong and others thought I was full of shit.
But that shit is systemic to what extent, I have no idea, worth taking a gamble on, not in my opinion.
To the extent of me not collecting any of those beans for a year to the extinction of the site.
My ipm is simple I donā€™t take in others clones for one and youre a bit more OCD than I with h2o2.
But none the less should be everyoneā€™s SOP.

3 Likes

Once a plant has Pmā€¦always has it. A cut of a cut of CUT OF CUTā€¦100 DOWN, STILL GONNA HAVE IT. rEYNARD HAS IT CORRECT.

5 Likes

Yep.
I also dust with recharge at every transplant but that initial soak creates the first bonds between the seedling and the beneficial bacteria and fungi in Recharge.

2 Likes

I might gamble on seeds from a mom with PM, in the right situation. I donā€™t think PM could be passed from an infected mom to her seed but there are so many opportunities for a PM mom to spread PM spores that could easily transfer to a young seedling. A mom with PM could theoretically pass resistance or susceptibility to PM in her seed, but there is no conclusive research Iā€™ve seen on to support either argument.
Iā€™ll never take clones from PM plants.

Thatā€™s what my doctor said!

:pray: Amen

2 Likes