Sprinklememaynee's Silly Grow Adventures

Curious around good ph for plants. I have them in soil and have been measuring the runoff and have found that the average over the past week has been 5.2. The plants do not look upset or anything, but I wonder if it is low.

If it is low, are there any organic inputs I can add to bring the ph up.

Okay, so long story short, I realized that when I had set up my tent outside in one of the uninsulated outbuildings in my backyard, that I had forgotten that we do experience winters, so I spent about a week trying to battle the heat loss in the tent. I finally submitted and found a nice spot in my basement for the tent. I had to move everything inside during lights out time, and the plants were in a little bit of light for about an hour. Wondering if that would affect them, and cause stress to herm.

Fast forward to tonight, the tent is nice and warm, and the plants seem much happier.

If you notice on the bottom right, the bling cherry x loctite got fimmed a little bit late, and when supercropping I managed to snap the stem a little bit. Taped it back up and they seem to be on their way.

2 Likes

Wondering if anyone has any tips for this. The SSH X NL is very yellow on the new growth. I am running a living soil that is locally made (kryptonite), and have just added some worm castings top dressed, and also added some coffee grounds. Not sure if the yellow shows through on this photo, but any tips around what may be causing it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Just had a very rookie moment of enlightenment lol. I realized that when I take my plants out to trim and inspect, I can get much better pictures without that LED filter to them. I have taken some pics of the SSH X NL and the Bling Cherry x Loctite.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing the yellowing on the SSH X NL?

2 Likes

Okay, we finally have flowering! Behold the Bling Cherry x Loctite. I had snapped the stem when I was trying to train the plant, and decided to tape it in hopes it wouldnt die. It seems that over time another stalk sprouted out of the broken area, and really took off.

I also just noticed the odd leaf mutation, anyone have any idea if the stress I caused the plant caused this?

1 Like

The Ketosis (Mendobreath x Apple Fritter) is holding its own, has some really interesting red stem, and the pistils have a very cool colour to them.

1 Like

The SSH X NL is chugging along slowly, started to show signs of flower, and the yellowing of the leaves seems to have calmed down considerably.

2 Likes

Alright here we go! After being all discombobulated with the arrival of a newborn, I have actually found myself much more able to regularly check on my plants while the lights are on overnight. They seem to be coming really well.

The Bling Cherry X Locktite has started to get quite frosty!

The NL X WW however is taking its sweet time in flowering, may be caused by how the clone was not fully rooted when started, but it also just may be taking its time to show those flowers.

Last but not least, the Ketosis is starting to frost up, and is really stinky. Excited for those root beer terps!

2 Likes

I am already planning my next grow in the 4x4, and was wondering how to maximize the number of plants within the tent. I was running 5 plants in 3 gallon pots this run, and I think there has to be a better way to maximize space. If anyone has some ideas for how to do this it would be great.

I am also looking at different ways to deal with runoff, as I will be growing in soil. I currently have two Ikea shoe mats pictured below, and my fabric pots just sit in the trays. I am wondering if this is somehow a hindrance to plant success, and if I should suspend the plants above the drip tray, or if there are other ideas for how to collect runoff.

1 Like

That works fine as a spill catcher.
But if you want to water from the bottom you will want something a bit different.

1020 trays are the standard but there’s also the flood and drain tables.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Man, I have been battling some insane PM the past couple days, and finally threw in the towel this evening. Lights were on, and all of the plants were overrun with PM. Chopped them all and powered down the lights. Better to start over than continue this losing battle. Anyone have any tips for how to disinfect the tent after some serious PM?

I ordered a bunch of 1 gallon plants, and am going to try and jam pack my 4x4 with however many I can. I am planning to grow a bunch of seeds that I have received off here, and also try this living soil again (Kryptonite), and see what happens. Once the tent is disinfected, I will start popping seeds.

1 Like

Okay, Round 2 here we go!

After a severe bout of decision paralysis, I decided to really push the limits of my 4x4 and try to grow 9-10 plants in 1 gallon pots. Being home for the next little bit with a newborn, I will have the time and the flexibility to stay on top of watering and am going to try some local living soil, that advertises it only needs water throughout veg and flower. I have some worm castings to add, as well as some bone meal should it be required later on.
In terms of seeds I have dropped the following
2 x Purple Kush (from someone on another board)
2 x Citradelic CBD from @BasementBeans
2 x DBHP from @BigMike55
2 x Dancehall F2 from @Trowertripper

Using my good luck Batman cups, and will try and update every day. I have them soaking currently in lukewarm water in a cupboard, and will transfer to paper towel tomorrow.

I am contemplating moving them immediately after they sprout tails to the 1 gallon, or using solo cups until they get a little bit of growth to them. All of the seeds are photo regular, so rolling the dice for sex.

3 Likes

Looks like a fun run! I’ll be following for sure.
The strain from me is Citradelic CBD :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Haha Whoops, corrected that!

Update of the day.

at the 24 hour mark, I moved the seeds from the soaking to some wet paper towel, and placed them inside a ziploc bag. I am not sure if there is any science behind soaking them before placing them in a damp paper towel, but it has worked each time for me previously. Will update tomorrow with some pictures if there are any tails sprouting.

2 Likes

Update Day 4:
I decided to put the germinating seeds yesterday on the top of my pellet stove instead of a heating tray, and all of the seeds popped and had some nice tails.

I set up the tent this morning, and transplanted the Citradelic, DBHP, and Dancehall into 1 gallon pots directly filled with the living soil. I placed saran over top for humidity and turned on the light and the exhaust fan with minimal power.

I placed the Purple Kush directly into the 3 gallon pots at the front, and will see what happens.

1 Like

I figured it was probably worth an update. The past two weeks have been a learning experience, and an exercise in patience lol. It turns out that my basement is super dry, and by the time I replaced the batteries in my hygrometer, the seeds had already been hanging out in 15% RH. Unfortunately 90% of the seeds did not make it.

The only ones that survived and are thriving are 1 of the DBHP, and 2 of the Dancehalls.

I decided to get back at it, and installed a humidifier in the tent, and have been keeping it around 23 degrees and 6-70% RH.

I went ahead and popped 2 of the Pre 98 Bubba and 2 of the GDP from @JohnnyPotseed seed sale, and popped 2 of the Rootbeer Rum Cakes from @NugLifeFarms420. In addition, I also popped 2 of the blueberry fems I had received in an order from Seedsman. Never tried that blueberry before, so decided to have a go at them. I wonder if they are similar to DJ Short’s BB, but will find out soon enough. I also popped the remaining Purple Kush I had. They are all in solo cups now, and have broken ground. I will post pics once I start to see some green.

I was really upset about how much the RH matters, and how I had ruined a couple seeds, but thats the way life goes.

Will update with pics tomorrow, but wanted to pipe in and drop some words while I had the chance.

2 Likes

Okay Okay,

One of my new years resolutions, was to spend more time documenting my growing. I wanted to be more present and more thorough about it so that I would be able to look back and have record of the process. I am also hoping to gain insight and input from others, and without proper documentation, it doesnt appear possible.

That all being said, here we go.

So for my current run, I had the inspiration and curiousity to try and jam pack my 4x4 with as many plants as I could. I purchased 12 one gallon pots, and wanted to start with those and add a couple solo cups perhaps. I ended up kind of stalling out on my first run, due to a super low humidity and a cold basement.

I am currently trying to run a store bought living soil, with the plans to add EWC and Blood Meal if necessary.

So I salvaged what I could, and resumed popping beans.

Here is where we stand now, I have managed to maintain 18 degree temps and 60-70% RH by adding in a humidifier.

Dragonblood HashPlant

Dancehall 1 and 2 (notice the small leaves on the second dancehall, it completely stalled out for a period of days, and then seem to have risen from the ashes.

The lone surviving purple kush has gotten really tall and seems to be doing okay.

Both of the Root Beer Rum Cakes from @NugLifeFarms420 are also doing well. Seem to be enjoying the humidity.

The one surviving Pre-98 Bubba is also kicking along.

The surviving GDP is on the move after stalling out for quite awhile, fingers crossed it is able to survive.

I also added 2 more GDP to solo cups this evening, as well as a Pennywise x Bay 11, and a Seedsman Blueberry Fem that somehow made it where all the other blueberry’s died.

I do have to admit, I have become somewhat carried away, and am waiting on some tails from 1 more Pennywise x Bay 11, and 2 of the Sebrings Revenge x Lavender Frosting.

I am not too sure what my intentions are with this run, but I am going to let whatever happen happens, and focus on monitoring and documenting, and most importantly learning in the process.

Bonus shot of my current set up.

4 Likes

A little bit of an update, found some tails on the remaining seeds, so off to the party they went! 2 Sebrings Revenge x Lavender Frosting and the remaining Bay 11 x Pennywise.

Hoping to get some more action when I check back in tomorrow evening. I have to resist the temptation to continue popping seeds, and focus on the existing plants. I am hoping to take more detailed notes around RH and temperature to see how each of the strains adjust.

Curious about light height above the plants, as seen in this photo, I wonder if it is too close. I currently have only the growth switch on the light, but the bloom switch off. This entire setup came from Kijiji, and I am unsure as to how long the light was used before.

Bonus:
Temp and RH

2 Likes

Thought I would pop in and provide an update. Not too much has really happened in the tent in the past week, I spent quite abit of time looking at how to dial in the RH and lessen the temperature swings in the tent, and it seemed to have a good effect. I lost a couple more seeds that never really sprouted after growing tails and being placed in soil. However, to even out the dead seeds, I found myself popping some PM from @JohnnyPotseed and 2 Stoned Pup. I popped an additional cbd pink kush from Seedsman.

I got my gdp and a sebrings revenge x lavender frosting to pop by placing them in soil and letting them sit on top of the humidifer, and it worked.

This morning, I spent some time repotting the Purple Kush into a 1 gallon pot, and the first of the Root Beer Rum Cake also got the up potting. I took some time to add EWC, didnt measure, but used about 1 handful for each 1 gallon pot, and then watered them.

I also decided to move around the inside configuration of the tent to maximize space, as it would appear I am running out of room :rofl: :joy:

Here is the tent. I will take some individual pics of the plants outside of the tent this weekend and will do a detailed update.

5 Likes