SquirtleSquads adventures in DWC

Dropped the feed to 0.8EC.

I drained the res and diluted it and drained again so it was around 0.25EC to start which is a little higher than my tap (0.2EC) so some nutes remained but not much.

I’m worried about the leaves that yellowed causing rot. They are sugar leaves so hard to remove. I may take down the whole cola.

I also changed the lighting from 12/12 to 10/14 to try and encourage faster finish. Not sure if it works or not.

4 Likes

One phenotype of the Chicle. This one seems to be more bubblegum leaning. It’s near finish at around 56 days from flip and looks to be 2-3 weeks ahead of the other two that look more Chemdawg leaning.

If I had taken clones this round this would be the only one I’d keep. Smallest buds out of anything in the room, but they are fading nice, didn’t burn (as bad), finishing super quick and good frost all the way down.

Feed has been sitting steady at a little under 1.0EC. Topped up again today and brought them down to 0.9EC.

Hopefully this halts the burn any further cause believe it or not the other two Chicles haven’t started to swell yet fully and don’t want dead leaves causing mold.

14 Likes

That chicle above looks bomb!!! :v:

2 Likes

Man that look delicious !!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Beautiful! Well done, sir!

2 Likes

Counter intuitive I know but apparently yes they can!

Salt or nutrient levels that are too high will effect the osmotic potential of the plant cell and reuce it’s ability to take up water. This is moslty what effectivly kills a plant in saline water conditions. One of my bro’s works in a large commercial NFT greenhouse, standard proccess there is to raise eltrolyte levels a month of so prior to havesting hydroponic tomatoes because it is a way of simulating dryer conditions by reducing the ability of the plant to take up water, which then has the effect or raising sugar and levels of flavinoid, resulting in less watery better tasting fruit.
Obviously this is going to effect nutrient uptake/transport, but I don’t know the hows or whats of that or if they need to compensate for this somehow.

One of these days when I don’t care if I kill a plant, I’ll test raising electroyltes towards the end of harverst to see if it migth do a simmiar thing with terpene levels etc. It’s kind of an anti-flush at the end instead of flushing as some people do :grin:

Dude that’s lookign wicked ! I have seen yellowing/leaf drop in a dwc setup much worse than you got without it appearing to cause problems. My bro is probably the laziest grower ever when it comes to keeping water levels, nutes and PH in the right spot, this means the leaves on the plants in his DWC buckets are often lookign a bit worse for wear, espeically later in flower. Surpisingly though it doesn’t seem to affect the end result in any noticable way.
It’s hot and humid as fk here in summer and mould is a constant enemy, more airflow and keeping a clean space short of AC is about all we can do here. Mould is a bitch.

3 Likes

This is neat, thanks for the info! These tomato growers have a few things figured out for sure. Makes sense.

I reduce watering before harvest, but since it is coco i never let it fully dry out. Runoff TDS gets extreme in the last week; probably doing the same job. Thanks for giving me another thing I can “mansplain” about my lazy grow habits :wink:

3 Likes

Lol… Well lucky for us lazy people this ditch weed is a hardy plant :smile: What is it 12000 years or something now it has followed our sorry asses around the globe? I’d say it’s tracking better than WE are. I have some ‘clones’ that have been sitting in near stasis outside on my nft salad table now for nearly 6 months being fed only tap water! They refuse to die. Am thinking most problems folk have must be down to too much love rather than neglect :grin:

Here is a paper on adding salt to the nutrient solution for tomatoes.

3 Likes

So far the interveinal chlorosis hasn’t spread and the leaf burn on the Chicles haven’t spread either. Looks like it was nute burn.

2 of the 3 dark star kush hermied. Which is weird because the other two times I’ve grown this strain I never encountered a hermie. These Chicles are great! I trimmed a sample branch last night off the one that’s finishing quicker. About 10% clear, 80% cloudy, 10% Amber. Will wait a week before I chop the rest down.

Need a place to dry. I wanted to dry in the grow room since it has odor control, AC and a dehumidifier already, but doesn’t look like everything is going to finish around the same time. Been looking at getting a tent for some time now so may scoop one up and dry in that.

My office is cluttered which is where I normally dry, but my mom had to move in so the girlfriends office is now her room and my office is now both of our offices.

3 Likes

So I tried adding another 2 sites to my 6 site RDWC and the stupid ActiveAqua bulkheads are junk. Waste of time. All 8 of them I bought leaked. The other 28 are Botanicare and never leak. Ive heard stories of these being junk but that’s all the hydrostore had and I really needed those sites added so I could move next batch out of the cloner they out grew. They are hard to find, but hands down the best bulkhead. I’ve tried explaining this to the hydro store but they insist on buying the junk brand.

Looks like I’m off to source these from the internet.

3 Likes

Took a sample piece off the Chicle about 5 days ago.

Just put it in the jar and slowly working the humidity.

16 Likes

Look delicious ! Doing a good job :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Damn bro. Those look like some pretty dense Crystal covered buds!

1 Like

If that’s as bad as your deficiency gets, some ever-so-slight burning around older leaf margins in late flower, but everything else is looking fine, then don’t worry about it.

I am of the opinion that if your plant is well fed, as in it has all the nutrient it wants for buds, then some burning is inevitable.

Looks fine to me.

1 Like

I hear you bro, I had frequent problems with leaky shitty bulkheads and ended up ripping them out and using 20 mm tank fittings like these instead, they cost me $4.50 here in oz, but they can probably be got online cheaper, slightly more than a bulkhead, but a lot better in every way. They are threaded both ends, so are easy to plumb with whatever hose tail fitting suits the setup.

These ones have a decent neoprene washer on both sides and are made of glass reinforced nylon so you can get them nice and tight without worrying they are going to shear off. I also put some thread tape/sealant on them.

3 Likes

I got so fed up with leaky bulkheads that I completely redesigned and rebuilt my system so that no bulkhead is under pressure. My pots all drain via large bulkheads at the top of the pot. The bulkheads govern the level of the nutrient in the pot. There is so much aeration in the pots that nothing can settle at the bottom anyway. Problem is you need large bulkheads to ensure the roots don’t block them and they are quite expensive. Although they probably do not need to be as big or high quality as the ones i bought. I am just paranoid.

Love watching your thread @SquirtleSquad. Looking good as always. :+1:

@slain, they look pretty good too. Do you find those at a hardware?

3 Likes

I wish it was slight.

Problem is I have two different strains. I honestly think the Chicle are hungry and the Dark Star Kush are burning cause now that I lowered the feed they aren’t getting any worse but the Chicle that are in prime flowering are getting worse. For whatever reason 2 out of the 3 Chicle are so far behind.

Lol… I also had this same issue! What I did was to leave about 100mm of the thread on the tank fitting going into the buckets and drill a good number or 10mm holes right through, so that even if the main exit got blocked with roots I didn’t come home to find my entire rez leaking through to ceiling into the kitchen downstairs. :grin:

Yeah man, I got these at Bunnings, our equivalent of Home Depot.

1 Like

Thank you for coming along for the ride

2 Likes

Thank you for watching

2 Likes