SquirtleSquads adventures in DWC

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to say this… When I run my bubbler buckets I dont use any airstones whatsoever. I did research, and found that if you use air stones the dissolved oxygen rate plummets after only 52 minutes to an all time low… While running “stone less”, it provides maximum oxygen content to the root zone at all times… Just thought Id throw that out there! I seen a radical difference after getting rid of them pieces of crap… Smart move! :slight_smile: I’ll be back doing the bubblers shortly, just waiting for these summer temps to vanish… Enjoy reading your thread. Peace :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need some modifications to the setup. Need to get the sites off the ground so the water level in control bucket is higher. The pump is drawing too much water out so it runs out the lower the system gets. But no I don’t have any issues with clogging. I could just reduce the size of the pump, but raising the sites and tossing a bulkhead on the bottom would help drain the buckets better and offer another path back to control.

1 Like

Looking very good. Looks like I found this thread at the right time :v:

2 Likes

May I offer a suggestion?? Been into hydro for a long time, and I know a thing or two about the operation… If you want them super bright white roots, without stain, and want simplicity and keeping that ph stable, then you may wanna check out Jack’s Professional Hydroponic nutes, and there calcium nitrate. 1/2 tsp per gallon of each, keep the ph at 5.8 change out every week… Extremely simple, and the calcium nitrate provides just enough of calcium and magnesium as well. And for ph up and down, nothing is better than cyco products… Im just throwing it out there, you may wanna check em out. But, it looks like your doing wonderful. Best of luck either way! Glad to see a few hydro enthusiasts!! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Are you talking to me? I use jacks

Yes. I was just scrolling through this thread to see what you were using, and you answered…lol Right on. How much do you usually give em?? Interested. I give em 1/4 tsp of each in veg… with one drop of superthrive per gallon… And when in flowering, I double the dose. I dont reccomend ANY additives for best results, other than the ST(only in veg)… Simple simon. If you start dumping this, that, and the other thing with a Jack’s mix, your only asking for trouble…lock outs, ph fluctuations etc…

Here a link to some of my old hydro and soil pics… >Closetgrowth's "Old School" Grow pictures!... Past and Present! :)

Ok, I gotta head out, Ill check back later to see what you wrote. Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I use 2.4g/gal Jack’s, 1.6g/gal CaNO3, 0.8g/gal MgSO4.

In flower I add 0.25g/gal MKP and 0.25g/gal K2SO4.

One gal distilled minus 12oz to fit the nutrients. To it I add 278g Jack’s and 93g MgSO4.

I take a separate gal and remove 12oz and add 186g CaNO3.

Then I mix 1oz/gal.

I like premixing it in a stock so I don’t have to add directly to system and then wait for it to mix until I can add the other parts. Premixing allows me to drop part a in on one side and part b on other side of the system and it blends well without worrying about precipitation.

I’ve been doing dwc/rdwc for 8 years now so I do know what I’m doing. Never messed with soil really. When I first started I tried soil and got bugs literally coming in with the soil bags so I switched to hydro and never looked back.

6 Likes

a
Yum yum. Getting there! 3 weeks to go. Let’s hope I can avoid bud rot. I’ve grown this strain a few different times and always get some budrot.

I got an exhaust fan, 2 circulating fans, dehumidifier and AC going non stop. Room is 72F lights out and 82F light on. Humidity hovers 55-60% it’s set to 45% so it never shuts off. Probably need a bigger dehumidifier.

12 Likes

Looks like I’ve got some sort of deficiency on my hands. All the tips on the serrated edges are turning bronze like and tips are Brown and curling up.

Not sure how I could be burning them they are getting only 0.9EC of nutrients.

I have a hunch I threw off my K to Ca ratio by adding the MKP and K2SO4. It almost looks like a K deficiency but it’s appearing on the fan leaves at the top of the plant and K is mobile so deficiencies should show on the bottom.

Will post a picture tomorrow when lights are out.

Another issue I’m having on one of the plants you can see to the left of the carbon filter in the center on the last picture I posted some interveinal chlorosis is that from light stress you think?

Will give a res change tomorrow. These feel like they are taking forever to finish. Keeps putting off new pistols and is foxtailing a bit. I really do think the lights are too close but I can’t move them further away and can’t tie down plants anymore.

Lights are 13-15" away.

2 Likes

1/2 teaspoon of Jacks Pro nutes with 1/2 teaspoon of calcium nitrate mixed together(per gallon) is ALL you need. Anything more, and your just asking for trouble. Been there, done that!.. MKP is exceptionally strong, and if you overdo it, this kind of shit will happen, the same goes for the potassium sulfate. Jack’s was not designed to be used with additives. It has everything a plant requires. In soil, you cant use more than an 1/8th of a teaspoon of MKP(with base nutes), without frying out your plants… Hope you werent giving them more than that in your hydro setup. Im not trying to be a Mr. Know it all, but Ive been running the Jacks Pro and Calcium nitrate for Hella, longer than you,…and I have ran into these kinds of problems in the past. Not cutting you down in any way, Im just trying to help you solve your issues. Dump that res, and start over with my reccomendations. And keep your ph at 5.8… Thanks, and have a nice evening. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I’m not sure if I’m over that. I follow the Jack’s 321 by weight not volume. Not sure what 1/2tsp measures EC. Which Jack’s are you using? 5-12-26?

I don’t think I’ll be using MKP or K2SO4 anymore and see if I still get these issues.

Over what? Jacks 321 causes deficiencies bro, Its all over the internet. Ive ran 321, and it was awful. 1/2 tsp means half a teaspoon. And yes on the 5-12-26.

Over the nutrient strength. I know what half a tsp is I just don’t know what that equates to in EC.

Do you have a teaspoon laying around? Fill it up half way with Jacks Pro nutrient and dump it in your reservoir(per gallon of water!), mix well. Then do the exact same thing for the calcium nitrate… remember, per gallon. Then, the next morning take a reading and see where your ph is at. Adjust to 5.8 … Now leave it alone, and only add water when it lowers down a bit. Check ph each day, and adjust back to 5.8… Should only use maybe 2-3 drops of up or down, and that is all. Now, every 7 days dump the res, and start over. Thats all you need to do bro. Dont worry about the EC! Not important as long as your feeding them correctly. Dont “overthink the process”… You have the best nute around for hydro, Have faith in them, and please have some faith in this oldschool hydro geek. Im getting tired, Sorry if i sound irritated. Good luck

1 Like

One last thing to add,… If you look on the side of the Jacks Hydroponic nute container, you will see the directions.They reccomend 1/2 teaspoon for each, Like what I explained to you tonight. If all else fails, read the directions! Hahaha Peace Brudda’ :wave::smile:

Correction: It does not say that on the side of the container. Let me see if I can find that info from the manufacturer…

Hmmm, Thats strange,…The new Jacks professional nutes that I have here has a ridiculous amount reccomended. The old stuff (year and a half ago) instructed the grower to use 1/2 teaspoon of each, for a small volume mix. I remember it quite well.

Anyways, a half teaspoon of each is the way Ive been doing things for as far back as I can remember, with nothing but insane results. As soon as the temps drop, Ill be doing up an informative DWC Thread… Easy Peasy. Cant wait!! Peace and I Wish you well. :slight_smile:

Ahhh Yes … Found it!!

Jack’s Hydroponic formulation and Jack’s Calcium Nitrate are packaged separately, and require a
little special attention when mixing - in order to avoid forming a precipitant in the tank. These
products must be dissolved either in a two tank system or in dilute (or Ready-to-Use) quantities.

Following these specific stepwise directions is vital, along with the knowledge that these items
should NEVER be mixed in a concentrate tank together.

On a small scale, the easiest way to use our Jack’s Hydroponic System is to create a
ready-to-use solution by combining ½ teaspoon of each formulation per gallon of water - just
make sure you do not combine them in any stronger concentrations or the materials will solidify
and drop to the bottom of the solution. Also, be sure to aerate the solution with a bubbler or
change the solution every other day to maintain proper oxygen levels.

Note: An alternative to mixing the products together is to apply them separately, using one at a
time and alternating them every other feeding. This will assure that your plants are receiving the
ideal levels of nutrients.”

This is what one of the dark star is going. Has me confused. Looks like burn, but I’m so low. Also looks like Mg but it’s on the top.

The Chicles are doing this. This is the worst example of it.

Some of the lower growth is doing this on the Dark Star

This is what most of the leaves on Chicle look like

At 530ppm just like from last night. 90ppm is my water though so really only feeding 440ppm or 0.9EC

4 Likes

What bag to buy? Went on the manufacturers web site as yeah lol heard good things about jacks and wanted to try it but…

If you wasn’t in DWC I would swear they’d got dry and started eating leaf. But it’s DWC they can’t get dry right? Or haven’t been left to be dry? :face_with_monocle: where are the experts at.

The roots are living in water so probably not dry.

Pretty sure the K additions threw off my ratios causing the plant to drink which raised the EC levels which caused burn

1 Like