SquirtleSquads adventures in DWC

Your setup is inspiring! I’d love to try DWC at some point.

It’s also great to see someone having such great success with Jack’s. I’ve been running it on my first grow to pretty good results but I’m brand new to hydro also.

Have you always run K2SO4 in place of MGSO4 (epsom) in the 3/2/1 ratio? Interesting perspective to take. I’d love to hear more.

2 Likes

I don’t run MgSO4 usually. This grow I have been because they seem to need the extra Mg.

I use K2SO4 in place of MKP(PK booster) around week 5.

My theory is more K and S which help add flavor and less P which takes away from the flavor in the end product.

This is only my second grow doing this, but so far so good

Give DWC a try. I love it. Though I wanna make the move to coco for the summers because I only have 40A and the chiller and AC take up a whole 20A on their own so I’m left with 16A for lights.

2 Likes

Got them all setup in their new home. 35gal. The one that’s all alone in its single site dwc looked like it had the same markings of thrips as my ones in flower. I hope not. At least they are still in veg. Going to give them a blast of spinosad to be safe and flip them in a week.

Moved the autos to the flower room so I could have more room. Though now it’s quite cramped in the flower room lol. I have to climb over my chiller to get to the other side. Not ideal but I’ll be chopping in a few weeks. I may move them back depending on how much room I have in veg. I moved them before I saw what look like thrip damage on other plants and now I’m worried I brought infested plants into my clean flower. I scanned over the autos and saw no thrips or thrip damage. Haven’t even seen any thrips. But the damage was too similar so I have a strong feeling they are in there, if just on that one plant.

Here is flower and what I feel is the best plant out of the bunch. Not really super impressed by any of these, but I’ve been fooled before so for now I’m keeping the clones in veg. They are also so tall now it makes sense to just flower them even if I don’t intend on keeping any. Just not a fan of my veg right now. They got too lanky and flimsy. I put a fan on them so hopefully that strengthens them.

One day it will all come together and it will flow smoothly. For now I’ll just have to deal with all these bumps in the road.

5 Likes

So I guess what I thought was thrips on the sticky traps is actually fungus gnats. Went from 10 to 40 or so in the past few days. I took a microscope to them after I saw the increase and they all are fungus gnats.

Still no sign of thrips.

Looks like I got another 2-3 weeks on the ones in flower. About 5 more weeks on the autos.

The auto buds are so tiny they are most likely just going to be made into rosin.

Picked up some unistrut and threaded rod to put the screen up on my 12 site RDWC. Made the screen tonight. Will hang it tomorrow and post pictures and begin training for a flip next week.

Not going to bother cloning these again. Not too impressed and I have too many seeds and not enough room/time to run these more than twice.

Started some Strawberry Glue seeds from TH Seeds. already showing a tap root at less than 24hrs.

2 Likes

fuckin fungus gnats…

bro your plants are lookin good to me, there reaching for that light!

at week 5 you still got time to put on weight

2 Likes

Yeah they will definitely swell still. Haven’t even started the swell yet. The spinosad did a number on the pistils and turned them light orange earlier than normal. And a few plants have hermied. They are also showing a Ca deficiency since I lowered the calcium nitrate. Shittttt part about Jack’s 3-2-1 is trying to get enough calcium in mid to late flower without adding too much nitrogen.

I got a 300g sample of Megacrop coming in. Will run the strawberry glue on that and see how that does. I like the idea of a one part.

Honestly no idea why the autos look so shitty. They looked to be showing burn but the feed was dropping and was only at 1.0EC to begin with. I know sometimes a K def. can look like nutrient burn but usually on the bottom growth since it’s a mobile nutrient. Not that worried though they were just an experiment.

yea, you cant add any more calcium without some nitrogen. whats worse, a cal deficiency or a nitrogen toxicity?

ive been watching megacrop with interest, can it replace the 9 bottles of sauce i use per feed? cuz that would be awesome if it could.

are the autos in the back? i looks like a magnesium issue to me. tacoing with leaves showing interveinal Chlorosis?

Naw the one in the back is #4 seed of critical hog. That one’s doing the best. No Mg def. there. Slight nute burn with margin cupping and Ca def. it’s about that time in flower where they need less feed. I lowered them from 1.3EC to 1.1EC with a top up of 20gal and 24g Jack’s 10g calcinit and 10g potassium sulfate

This is what it looks like. Only at 1.0EC so it can’t be burn…feeds also dropping.

The buds on the autos just aren’t growing. They stretched a ton. The tops are like 4 different colas but all small buds. It’s the weirdest thing.

1 Like

if feed is dropping there hungry, but?? weird bro.

1 Like

Right. And there is this mottled chlorosis around the main vein on lower growth. Leaves are dark green so perhaps its a bad ratio? No idea.

The buds on the two that stretched a lot (10" to 42" in a few weeks) look very sprase and nothing like buds I’ve seen before. Very thick pistils and some lower buds are same size as tops. The one that stretched the least put off some normal looking buds but because it was so much shorter and sharing the same tote it was getting far less light.

I’ll sneak in there after lights go out in 6 hours and snap some lights off pictures.

This is the tops of the autos. See what im talking about with the bunch of tiny buds at the top?

This is a little further down the plant. Buds are bigger down there than on the top.

This is the rdwc. Week 6. As you can see no Mg deficiency. Just a bit of nute burn.

5 Likes

Had to do some moving of lights and some more screen prep work, but all done. Will mount screen tomorrow.

Set it at 720ppm yesterday and now it’s 680ppm or a little under 1.4EC.

This auto actually looks semi normal in terms of bud stacking.

Added a 4k 260w kit for the autos at the end so they could have their own light. Getting crowded in there. I moved the smaller auto (pictured above) on top of a tote so it’s closer to the light.

8 Likes

Here’s the screen before I added the string. Was a PITA to hang due to cramped conditions.

The flower is starting to swell. The spinosad definitely affected the frost and look of the buds. Some hermies here and there, not sure what caused that.

Should pull some good weight off this and can only go up from here with better scrogging.

Scrogging the next batch currently and will flip my veg to a flower room and turn my flower room into a veg for the batch after that.

I wanna crop before I flip so if it is good I can have clones kept aside. But this all depends on how quickly they fill in the screen. May just have to take provisional clones and hang my old t5 in a closet so I can have a third area that’s not flowering to keep the clones in and the new seeds I started

6 Likes

Veg is filling in.

Buds in flower are getting rock hard

Plant #3 and #4 are the keepers. Possibly #5 as well since I didn’t top it and it bushed out quite well. #3 was the one that contracted thrips and I honestly didn’t expect much. Soon as I put the solstrips over them they exploded in growth.

Surprisingly the two best before flower are the worst. I think I sprayed those two the most with spinosad so they look like shit.

Getting grape aromas heavily on this. Chocolate chunk unsurprisingly smells like chocolate, but it is so stout the lower buds are having a hard time ripening. I guess when they say it’s good for SOG they weren’t kidding. I could see this producing 2oz colas in a SOG.

6 Likes

Bought a couple roller shade clutches on Amazon. The reviews said it fits a 1-1/4" PVC pipe so I’ll wait till it arrives and measure myself. But the plan is to use PVC pipe for the tube and black/white poly for the curtain and a piece of 1/2" PVC for the bottom bar. Put some eye hooks and use rubber bands to secure to the top of the totes when they are down.

This will help contain most of the light while still allowing me to easily access the plants for training.

3 Likes

Hey bro everything is looking good! Although, I gotta say, ur one brave sob balancing ur seedlings on ur scrog lol.

I’d knock and break that shit in no time.

I never think I’ll fill my scrog, but urs sure will, just keep at it.

When u throw ur curtain up, keep an eye on ur temp and rh, but u might not have a problem since ur running LEDs.

Hey did u get ur bug problem fixed?

3 Likes

Let us know how that goes. I may have a use for something lke that myself.

2 Likes

Yeah I really need to run some wire to the closet. It’s already fitted out with a zipper and poly. Just need to run an extension cord from my veg/soon to be flower room over to the closet 10-15ft. away.

I’ll do that tonight so I can flip these. Did some training last night and they are nearly filled so I anticipate over growing this screen.

Have to figure out a way to attach another screen or means of support above this. Should be easy enough.

And yes those thrips bit the dust after first spraying of spinosad. I caught them real early before they had a chance to establish themselves.

Never even seen an adult. What I thought was adults on the sticky traps turned out to be fungus gnats.

3 Likes

Will do. Probably going to add them to my veg area since my flower area is near harvest and don’t want to drill into my ceiling over sticky buds.

3 Likes

Ran an extension cord into the closet. Have to buy some hanger straps tomorrow and hang up my t5ho. The 4 bulb ballast died a while ago so it’s only running two 4ft bulbs. The 2 bulb ballast I already replaced so that’s good for a couple years. Hydrofarm junk. Dies the day after warranty.

Here’s a bud on the plant that had thrips. Looks cool under the 450/665nm strip. Looks purple like. Some trichomes are starting to turn cloudy. Barely any Amber. Still a week or two out I feel. Just worried about bud rot. The chocolate chunk really lived up to the chunk part. Short and fat. Probably will crop 4oz on it. Not bad for it’s size and considering it was so far away from the light for so long due to it’s shortness. So many trichomes on that one and they are all pretty milky. Looks moldy there’s so many trichomes lol. I want her to harden up a bit and swell.

Did a res change on the flower rdwc since @lefthandseeds helped me out and ran my mix through hydrobuddy and found out the k:ca ratio was way off.

Gave it Jack’s 321 at 0.8EC

Changed the multi autos over to megacrop. That shit is gunky and dusty as fuck. I wear a dust mask and I swear I can smell the B vitamins or maybe I’m just smelling my buds(perhaps my dust mask is contaminated with terps) there’s also big chunks in it and makes me wonder the exactness of the analysis mixed 20g at a time.

7 Likes