Starting in the Middle

Thanks @DefNSmokn . I’m glad you found it too. Welcome.

So, whatever ailment the plants in soil have is progressing, and I don’t know what it is. Any help identifying is appreciated.

Fortunately it is only really effecting the pollinated plants, and the buds seem to be alright (for now).

This is what it looks like when it starts:

Then it progresses:

Now it looks like this on the worst leaves:

It started on on the TW x GG4RIL which now looks like this:

I sprayed them twice, a couple days apart, with inoculant from Kelp4Less (bacteria, myco, trichoderma). That was a week or so ago. Didn’t seem to make any difference.

Hopefully I can make it three more weeks for the seeds to ripen.

8 Likes

Almost looks like a Potassium deficiency

1 Like

Definitely could be a nutrient deficiency because the plants grown in coco with Jack’s are not affected at all.

2 Likes

So this is kind of a stab in the dark but I had heard that boron becomes important in seed development, could potentially be a boron deficiency??

Admittedly just a guess but could be something to look into

4 Likes

I was just looking up seeded plant nutrient use and was about to say something about this. Nice.

1 Like

I think it was duke diamond on one of his potcast interviews that mentioned the boron being important to seeded plants, so that’s what brought it to mind

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, lefthand was talking about boron in one of his threads here also.

1 Like

Alright, unless someone talks me out of it, at the next watering I’m going to mix 1/2 strength Jack’s 5-12-26 and add full strength Earth Juice Microblast. That should cover both the Potassium and Boron (and any other micros that might be missing). I’ll probably do this every other watering for the next couple weeks. The brown obviously won’t go away, but hopefully it won’t get worse.

I won’t be able to say that I grew them “organically”, but I’m not sure that I really care. At least for these, I’m just trying to get seeds.

Going forward with my soil grows, I guess I have to figure out how to get more K and maybe Boron. I already topdress with kelp meal and alfalfa meal and add them and greensand to the soil mix. I use Azomite in the mix too. I wonder if it has Boron in it…

4 Likes

I think that article I posted mentions boric acid as a means of introducing more boron. No clue where that lands in the spectrum of organic vs. non, but it might be something to look into. Not sure about other approved organic inputs to add boron tbh

1 Like

In the same boat for the most part my seed plants r by far in worse condition …but are also in one gallon pots …and very mistreated :sweat_smile:

Amend Worm castings if you don’t plan on smoking them …borax …borax is usually used commercially but is about 11%boron

Maybe you can smoke it but I’m not gonna say you can when I’m not sure !

Best of luck brother !

1 Like

I actually have some borax in my laundry room.

1 Like

I’d look it up yourself but I just did and seems like some thing to reason with ! …could open a new door

1 Like

I see it affects the whole plant (new and old grow), burnt tips and borders, having all that food available I wouldn’t discard a nutrient burn instead of a deficiency, in which case flushing would be an option instead of adding more nutes, but it is only my guess, just wondering … icon_eek|nullxnull

3 Likes

Current picture of the deficiency:

I cut the worst tips off a few days ago to give me an idea of whether or not it was getting worse. I really can’t tell. Seems like it is though

I gave them a couple waterings with 5-12-26 and micros. Today I “flushed” with water (pH 6.0). I’ll let them dry a bit and water again with 5-12-26 and micros.

8 Likes

Now for some better looking plants…

Mind Eraser @LegsMahoney

Taller one :arrow_down:

Shorter one :arrow_down:

Some of the sugar leaves are covered on the edges and even bottoms with trichs. Nice purple underneath too.

22 Likes

alright! those are looking really great! the rails on those sugar leaves are something else.

2 Likes

Sebring’s Revenge (seeds from @Sasquatch)

13 Likes

Last, but not least, for today…

Eutierria by @DannyTerpintine seeds from @DougDawson

This plant is suffering the same deficiency as the seeded plants, just not as bad. The buds seem fine for now, and fortunately, they are almost finished.

21 Likes

@ReikoX , since you’re here…
any thoughts on the issue I’m having with the plants in soil? (posts above)