Mini Evaporative Cooler (Swamp Cooler) for Dry Tent

Curious if anyone has tried using a miniature evaporative cooler to help keep their dry tent in the proper 60F / 60% range? Doing a little bit of research on the tech, and while I don’t think it’d be a good overall cooling solution given where I live, I’ve seen some small units that might help with a small dry tent. My basement stays at like 65-67 degrees (roughly) and around like 45% Rh, so theoretically it’d only have to drop the temp like 5 degrees. I figure I could hook it up to an inkbird along with a humidifier to really dial in the dry. Anybody ever tried this or have any other environmental controls they use to drop temps in a small dry tent?

1 Like

I got something like this

3 Likes

Does that cool the tent too or just add humidity?

Its a fogger so it uses ultrasonic vibration to vaporize the water cold.

1 Like

Interesting. As I understand it from my quick research the swamp coolers act more like ac units passing air over water cooled panels, with a byproduct of raising the humidity, it sounds like the fogger puts out humidity with a potential byproduct of cooking the temps if you fill with cold water. That’s kinda cool. I actually have all the parts to build a 5 gallon ultrasonic fogged, maybe I should give that a shot

1 Like

I’ve used those lil store bought swamp coolers before. Not in my garden but in a small house that didn’t have A/C. They do cool decently within a small area and do add moisture as well. Not a huge difference temp wise, but 5 degree change may be doable. Possibly. But a bigger unit would obviously do more

1 Like

I’ve used both types, the fogger and the evap cooling. Paid $3 for a honeywell humidifier at a church sale last week and its killer!

Here’s something to note. The fogger versions NEED ultrapure water, like RO/DI or distilled. Reason being if you use tap water in them, they WILL leave a white film on things like buds, tent walls, most apparent on vinyl windows. You can wipe this off, its just minerals being aerosolized. But for my drying tent I want the honeywell. You can use tap water because they use a filter to wick up the water, and the fan to evaporate it from the wick, leaving the minerals on the wick, not your buds. The honeywell both adds RH and cools a little. I have a mini dehumidifier in there as well that sadly, heats a little because its run by peltier chips which get warm. Its dialed in the 60-61 RH, but temps are 65ish…

6 Likes

Yeah the mineral build sux. I end up doing a lemon juice soak of the ultrasonic disc area + toothbrush.

I don’t bother anymore but to address the “dust” i had the humidifier piped stright up (like a still) before getting into the tent. The “dust” never made it up the run to get into the tent. Only catch is i needed to address buildup in the ultrasonic disc much-much more.

3 Likes

i got a cool mist humidifier from walyworld for about $25 seems to work good in a 4x4 tent for me

1 Like

Filling my humidifier with ice or opening a window near my dry tent are the only things I have available to keep the temp down. Currently 63 in there and its been anywhere from 62-68 depending on the weather and if I had opened a window or not. A little chilly here in the living room but its for the greater good lol!

1 Like