Steam Humidification

This is my current plan if I can’t get something hot. Which… I don’t know. Seems as easy as an immersion heater. Either way, I have a 55 gal trash can I can use for it, which will also feed the Tropf-Blumat watering carrots. I just need to attach a duct to it to pull air through. I worry about how cold it might get though. Might just wait until I can seal the lung room, and humidify it with the fogger in my water tank.

Distilled rodi

2 Likes

Hi @Who,
How much power does that rig pull?
From what I remember about piezoelectric elements it should be efficient.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

That makes sense, my wife warned me off one because she heard they leave white powder. I figured it was because folks were using tap water instead of distilled.

Thanx & Cheers
G

1 Like

I have this issue with mine, just hard water deposits indeed.

1 Like

Using one of the 12v ultrasonic ‘cool mist’ humidifiers/foggers (order spare discs with it btw - they can be hard to find later) - put it in a bucket/resevoir with a 100w aquarium heater set to your minimum temp. Make sure the fogger is set on a humidistat - also it doesn’t get immersed - should float just a little under the surface.

That way you bring in heat, thermal mass to help maintain the heat + controlled humidity.

3 Likes

Actually… that might be the best solution. Not HOT steam, warm vapor! That’s the direction I’ll head. Don’t know when everything will arrive, but it’ll be done sometime and I can report back some number.

2 Likes

THIS IS A SIMPLE FIX…GO TO GOODWILL OR TO RESTORE FOR CHEAP PRICES
TAKE OFF COVER OR GET A PEACE OF PLASTIC ALIKE A PIZZA CIRCLE AND DRILL A FEW HOLES IN IT
U GET HEATED H2O …BOTH HEAT AND MOISTURE
:male_detective:
:vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

What a great topic… lots of useful information. I live in the mid atlantic region, and it is cold and dry. Ive been fighting humidity issues for weeks. I must agree with the dont overthink it attitude. My cuurent humidity ranges from 20 - 60 % daily . plants seem fine

3 Likes

Same… I sprouted seeds in 30% humidity just fine. I even embraced the cold. I figure it’s not economically worth it to use steam humidification.

I still plan to add a heater to my bucket humidifier at some point but it is doing just fine.

1 Like

I was going to say the same thing.

1 Like

That is literally what I did. Switch from always on exhaust to temp controlled to retain heat, just doesn’t work at lights off.

hardly any, sorry didnt see you asked till now .

1 Like

We just had a couple weeks where daytime high temperatures remained below freezing. My heat pump was complaining about the cold so I turned it off. Running just the furnace, humidity levels in the house crashed. I saw 24% in the tent, so I bought this humidifier.

The price has gone up since my purchase. It produces either cool or warm mist and can run on a timer or humidistat. It holds 6L so it only needs filled twice per day. I haven’t had it long so I can’t speak to longevity, but so far so good. I’m running it in the lung room outside my tents with warm mist. RH is at 50% now.

1 Like

Hidrogen Peroxide (H202) is safer and mold and fungi don’t like it much.

That’s a creative solution. :+1:

btw some one on here posted a homemade humidifier consisting of a pail with a small fan clipped to the pail , thye said it uses a gallon a day if i remember right, a very simple evaporate humidifier

2 Likes

If there is some kind of wick it works well.

A bucket or some sort of container, a sponge that sits in the bucket and is slightly above the water layer and a fan blowing parallel to the sponge surface works well.

As the air passes over the sponge, the water evaporates, in turn the sponge wicks the water from the bucket and so on until there is no more water.

There is a thing called swamp cooler that works in a very similar way.

2 Likes

Another simple but effective method for increasing humidity, take a jail house stinger, 5 gallon bucket full 3/4 of the way with H2o add some salt to the water, plug one end of stinger to outlet the other in bucket of water.

More salt = more steam
Less salt = less steam

I was very surprised at the amount of steam I was able to produce and regulate

1 Like

this one looked simple enough and actually had achieved some climate control

3 Likes