STGE/L-P1 - Silicon Trichomes Grow Experiment/Learning - Phase One

STGE/L-P1
Silicon Trichomes Grow Experiment/Learning - Phase One

So last summer I planted three beans that I collected from a few different bags I acquired when living in North Carolina. As lucked turned out all popped and were female, so I was in for a good start. When I planted the beans I said to myself that I was not going to do anything but water them and see what happens. When all was done I harvest six oz’s after hang dry and trim. So ya I am a bit stoked and ready to start with some indoor play and as winter is around the corner, what a better time to start learning.

This is my first real attempt at growing indoors and with a bit of time it may lead into some breeding. I have a thing or two to learn before I can take it to the breeding level, but that is the long term goal. As I am learning I am going to use bag beans and a few beans that were given to me by an old buddy from back in the middle school days and another friends beans. The price for genetics is a bit high for me right now, as I am learning and don’t want to through them hard earned $$ out in the compost.

So here we go…

VegTent - 5x5x6

Light - SF-4000 [starting at 34” / 60%]

10/11/21

I started with three beans two from my buddy he said that they were Cherry Gobstopper, the third bean was one from my NC collected bag beans. I soaked them 24h then put to paper towel and ziplock bag. I prepared my 2.5 gal containers with 100 % COCO [this was I believe my first F.U.] I did however give the coco a CALMAG hydration.

10/13/21

Beans ready for planting, with 1/8” to 1/4” tail give or take and I am like F’ya the little things sprouted. So into the coco they go.

10/16/21

So I named my North Carolina beans NC1, NC2, etc. as that is were I acquired them. The three beans from summer were NC1, NC2, NC3. So now that that is out the the way.

NC4- 1” tall

CG1- 1” tall

CG2- 1/4” tall [just broke ground]

10/16-22/21

All I have written in my journal is

SF-4000 24”/60%

NC4- 1-1/4”

CG1- 1-1/4”

CG2- 1-1/4”

10/23/21

SF-4000 - 24” 41%

So by this time plants were looking a bit pea green and in my readings this is not uncommon with new seedlings, but they needed a bit of water and so what the hell let’s give them some nutrients. Reading and YouTube viewing I ended up going with GH nutrients and made my first mix at 1/2 strength and PH the water after mixing . CalMag, Flora Grow, Flora Macro were used in this watering.

10/26/21

75F

RH-47%

SF-4000 - 60%

CG1 - 2” tall 1st node has started.

CG2 - 2” tall 1st node has started.

NC4 - 1-3/4” tall [still sitting with first set of leaves, and the leaves are rounded like some bad genetics maybe.]

10/28/21

SF-4000 - 29” 70%

NC4 was put to compost [Was like let me work with the ones that what to do something]

CG1 - looking good but still a bit on the pea green color

CG2 - same as CG1

10/29/21

CG1 - 2”

CG2 - 2”

10/30/21

79F

RH-48%

SF-4000 - 80%

Watered [I have tried to keep the PH around 5.5-6.6]

Added a humidifier to the tent today so I can bring up the RH a bit.

Both plants still have that yellowish pea green still. Y may have also notice that I have been playing the the light dimmer at fiat I was like am I giving them to much and the other way around to little. Then in my adjusted state of mind I was like this light changing over the last few day is like cloudy and sunny days, lol. O ya pictures are coming, I know that everybody likes the eye candy.

10/31/21

81F

RH 55% [7:30 AM]

RH 58% [10:30 AM] Turned humidifier from low to med.

SF4000 - 75% 24/24 [ this is when all the lighting mishaps started]

CG1 - 2-1/2”

CG2 - 2-1/4”

11/1/21

79F

RH-58%

SF4000-80% Went back to 18/6 [thought I might be stressing the the little baby’s out]

CG1 - 2-1/2” [Showing a little rust/brown spots on first set of leaves.]

CG2 - 2-1/4”

Watered both plants with nutrients [2ml-Flora Macro, 2ml-Flora Grow to 1gal water]

11/2/21

78F

RH-58%

CG1 - 2-1/2” [looks like it’s stretching a bit, but just might be a growth spurt.]

CG2 - 2-1/4”

3:50 PM - 78F, RH-56%

11/3/21 - 7:00 AM

79F

RH - 47%

CG1 - 2-3/4” [first set of leaves have brown tip’s]

CG2 - 2-1/2” looking good for the most part, still a bit pea green/yellowish]

3:30PM

79F

RH-59%

After a bit of research/reading I’m thinking that I may have a CAL/MAG issue. So I watered a bit with some CALMAG.

11/4/21

79F

RH-42%

CG1 - Repotted plant into a soil, coco mix [ by volume one 2.5 gal planter of Botanicare Cocogro Premium Organic Soilless Grow Media, 2 - 2.5gal of Fox Farm Happy Frog. Watered @ 6.58 PH

Over all with lighting getting all messed up from me going from 18/6 to 24hr back to 18/6 to my digital timer giving me a hard time having a day or two of light coming on at different times, I have not killed the plants as of yet, lol.

CG2 - 2-1/2”

11/5/21 - 8:09 AM

81F

RH-46%

11/6/21

CG1 - Watered a bit @ PH 6.5

CG2 - Still pretty wet, letting dry out some before I water again.

So later in the evening I decided to replant CG2 in a mix of HF, COCO blend from above but amended with 4-4-4 Down To Earth-organic garden fertilizer, 7-3-1 Down To Earth-organic Bat Guano and Greenway Biotech Dolomite Lime Plus Magnesium and Calcium. CG1 is looking a lot better after transplanting, and I added a little top dressing of the 4-4-4, 7-3-1, dolomite as I did to have at the time of replanting CG1. Both plants watered @ 6.14 PH.

<—- This is CG2 in 100% COCO

11/7/21

79F

RH-57%

SF4000-75%

CG1- looking a lot better, new growth so far is looking rich green. Let’s hope that this is a new trend going forward.

CG2- is in shock and yellowing and looking hit up.

Watered both a bit with @ 7.13PH

This is after replanting into soil CG2

Started six new beans today all put into a ProMix-Premium A/P soil. I also added a 2.5gal planter bucket of ProMix to my soil mix above. I have Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer, Wiggle Worm Soil Builder coming and will amend my mix above with some.

So new Beans you say, what do we have…

CG3 - Cherry Gobstopper

CG4 - Cherry Gobstopper

OTTO2 - 1 [Gifted to me by my middle school buddy]

OTTO2 - 2 [Gifted to me by my middle school buddy]

SK1 - Snack Cake

SK2 - Snack Cake

Snack Cake I am calling SK1 & 2. Snack Cake is a long time friend that had an outside grow going over that last two years, I grabbed a few beans from him on my last visit. All we know about them is that it’s Indaca/hybrid with a very pepper smell and taste.

Like most new growers I am over thinking it trying to do to much at the get go with an all coco approach. Soil is much more forgiving in many ways but not as easy to correct fast if needed. I am going to back off a bit and hope that my soil experiment works out and treat it like I did last summer, drop the beans, let them pop if they do, plant in soil and let’s see what happens.

14 Likes

They look good! Give them a little less water and I think they’ll take off. When I first started and even now I like to kill them with kindness.

1 Like

Ya I know what you mean MidwestMover it’s hard to just sit back and let it all happen….

Ps. Thank you for the kind words, on the little ones.

1 Like

11/8/21
79F
RH-68%
SF4000-75%

11/10/21
83F
RH-50%
Both CG 1 & 2 are looking so much better, CG2 is getting over transplant shock with new growth looking rich and healthy.

CG1

CG2

11/11/21
81F
RH-51%

Gave a splash of water for each.

11/12/21
83F
RH-47%
SF4000-75%
PPFD - 580/600

CG1

CG2

CG3 [ Yes a new addition to the family !! ]

Over all things are looking up, and I hope this new trend stays… :wink:

3 Likes

So I never really talked about my goal with this grow and what I hope to achieve with the grow.
First and foremost is to keep some plants alive in veg for Mom’s & Dad’s [Dad’s are not my main concern at the moment, but if one should happen to develop into a male once I go to flower, I will decide if I keep or not.]

I am allowed [Allowed, F the gov and regulation/laws b’s] to have 12 plants, so my thought is to have 4 mom’s, 4 in veg, and 4 in flower. I figure that 4 different strains will keep me going for a bit before I get board with the flavors and high. With the seeds that I have from bags and gifted to me I will run them and find the ones that grow the best and start the phone-hunt.

My plan for CG 1&2 and all other seedlings that may pop or not, is to bring them up to about six nodes, then top them at the third node and use the tops for my first clone experience. If the clones make it I will put them into my 2x4 tent to flower and sex them, if all come out female woot woot and if not we cull what I don’t want. So if the other five beans sprout and make it, this will give me 8 of the 12 that I can keep legally. Once all plants are up and living I will narrow down to the four mom’s that I want and this will be the starting point for Phase Two and end Phase One of my learning/experiment.

Thank for hanging with me on my journey…

ST

2 Likes

11/13/21 - 6:21 AM
83F
RH-44%
CG 1&2 are looking very nice and coming around.

CG3 is up and running, gave it a bit of help removing the bean husk.
PPFD - 175
82F
RH-75%
under dome

At 2:14 pm removed CG3 from under dome and place on outer edge of tent PPFD 243

CG 1&2 PPFD sitting around 540/550

11/14/21 AM
83F
RH-45%
PPFD-560

Nothing was going on with the other beans that were planted, so I put to compost
OTTO2
SC/Snack Cake
CG4

Started soaking new beans

3x OTTO2
3x Cherry Gobstoppers
3x Snack Cake

11/15/21 7:10am
81F
RH-41%

Turned up humidity in tent.

1 SC bean is split, put all beans to paper towel at 4:00pm.

Leaf temps
CG1 77F
CG2 80F
CG3 80F

CG1

CG2

CG3

ALL

Thanks for checking my grow out…

3 Likes

Here are some new pic’s of the grow.

First up is

CG1, What a show pony this one is…

In the other corner we have

CG2 This one is still a little pissed off about the transplant, not growing as fast as CG1.

CG3, is coming along nicely.

A little one fighting it’s way up.

All of them, pic taken the other night…

And just because,
Show Pony CG1 B&W

1 Like

11/20/21

Big day today for me, took my first cutting for the start of my learning to clone processes. I had a talk with CG1 as to what was about to happen and we came to an agreement that she could live a longer life if I took this cutting from her. [Yes I am wishing for CG1 to come out fem, time will tell.]

The Family

CG1 - Just before cutting

CG1 - Topped

CG1C1 - Clone

Seedlings 1

Seedlings 2

Thanks for stopping by…

3 Likes

11/29/21

So over the Thanksgiving weekend I trasnplanted the little ones in to 1gal air pots. I culled one Otto2 as it was a mutant from hell spawn of Satan child and I fear that I have three more children that may get culled as well.

Happy Family

My Kaminoan Clone Pod - CG1C 1& 2 The tall clone was my first clone and when I was doing some LST I broke a branch, so made another clone with it.

So not much more to report as of now, all seem to be coming along just fine. Next weekend will be ten days for the clones and I think that I will start to harden them over this week. I would like to get them into the tent this coming weekend so I can flip CG1 & CG2. I chose not to clone CG2 as it’s a slow grower and hell I have other plants/seeds to work with.

Again thank for pulling up a chair…

1 Like

The only tip I have to share about cloning is the less foliage you leave behind, the better chance of the clone rooting.

I feel like it is a race, grow roots before drying up, and leaves burn through the cuttings water reserves…

1 Like

So fare so good, clones have not died on me as of yet and they started out in the tent before I put them into the clone chamber. I have faith that they will make it.

1 Like

A little up date…

All the little ones have been transplanted into 1 gal air pots. Nov 29th pic.

Clone pic Nov 29th CG1C2 the small clone I almost killed by leaving outside the dome when I went to work. Came back home and the poor thing was all wilted up, gave it spray and put back in the dome. Life is coming back to the clone this AM on Dec 8th, still not looking good though.

CG1C1 pic taken Dec 7th looking good I must say

Flower Tent CG1, CG2, and the three mutant from hell spawn of Satan children all put to 12/12. I did not clone CG2 as it has been a slow grower from the start.

Thanks for stopping by the funny farm !!

It was a sad day yesterday, had to put my little show pony to compost as it turned out to be yet another male. So in the last pic of this post, the two big ones and one of the little ones in the tent grew balls, ;(

I have two left in the flower tent waiting to see what they turn out as. CG1 left on the last pic I have a clone of and will keep in veg until I find a mate for him one day. I have six more to sex on this grow learning experiment let’s hope for some fems, so send me some good vibes everyone…

Thanks for stopping by…

1 Like

One big Pack Of Karma sent your way.! Come On Ladies

1 Like

And yet another bastard male to compost last night. I have one more left in the flower tent, let’s hope it’s a fem… I should know in the next day or so. :crossed_fingers:

Up Date

Here is the Veg tent in all it’s glory.

The two plants on the left in the middle two rows in the 1gal air pots are a bit problematic for me right now. At first I was thinking a Cal/Mag do to the rust/brown spots on leaves. The yellowing I was thinking lack of nitrogen or over watering. All plants are in same soil mix and about a week or so ago I gave them a cal/mag and nutrient feeding, new growth is looking better but one is show some more browning. So for now I am LTTFA and see what happens.

The other plants in the tent are
4 -Comfrey Bocking 14
4 - Roma
1 - Cherry Tom
1 - Basil

Here is a closer look at other plants.

SC1

SC2

The clones are looking good for the most part OTTO2C1 looks a bit over watered/sprayed. CG6C1 is looking like the parent and is turning out to be another show pony, so I am hoping that it is a fem so I can mate it with CG1C1 male and get some more seeds to play with. I will start to harden them off here in the next day or so.

The Kaminoan Clone Pod

In the flower tent I have one plant left and it is looking like I may have a girl, woot woot !
I’ll get a pic once it’s confirmed.

That’s about it for now, thank for pulling up a chair and stopping by…

1 Like

12/28/21

So it’s a girl, Woot Woot !!! My mutant child…

The clones from last post entry are harden off and surviving.
CG3 was put into 12/12 flower tent for sexing.
CG6 the new show pony will go into flower tent soon, just want to make sure that clone takes off and will survive. My Bocking 14 is starting to break ground and my tomatoes are alive and well, so is the basil.

peace all…

1 Like

Ok,
So I am winding this grow up and will start another log, highlighting the Black Cream Auto’s received from @JohnnyPotseed. I still have things to learn, but I am getting there in do time… I’ll post one last time once I harvest the three females that I ended up with from this grow. So for now here is a shot of CG#4 and four clones.

CG4

Clones- Two on left are Fem, two on right are Male. (the three 4" pot’s middle and 1 snack pak container.)

once the SC1 and OTTO#2 fem start to show some nice flower development I’ll post a pic or two, but until then I say good by until harvest.

Edit:
Well I put OTTO2#1C1F, SC1C1F, CG6C1M, in to their 1gal fabric pot final homes tonight.

3 Likes

Harvested CG#4 today at 76 days and put her back in to re-veg, let’s see what happens. Trichomes all milky and 1/4 were turning golden, going for more of the high than CBD.

I’ll put some more flower/nugs pic’s up later…

1 Like

Well I guess I am going to keep this topic up and running, no need to rock the boat…
I am about to finish up on the Black Cream’s you can check this out over here.

So I set up a new 4x4 flower tent with a Spider Farmer SE7000, AC Infinity T6 and Air Carbon Filter, Govee 6L Smart Humidifier (love how this unit can auto maintain RH and with the phone app you can check on your rooms RH, temps,VPD, etc. very cool), clip on fan, and a stand up fan.

KSC2020 1&2, OTTO2, SC1

Veg Tent with KSC2020, SC1, 98SD, Gobbstopper, PPP, BBxLS

Had a little fuck up last night when setting up new tent, I took my SF2000 out of the old flower tent and put it into the Veg tent for xtra light, but like a stoned dumb ass I did not hook the timer back up I just connected my SF4000 to the SF2000 for the dimmer control. so when I got up today and went to the grow hut the SF2000 was burning all night… Well I fixed this and the plants had a long night dancing and partying… The Bruce Banner x Lemon Skunk seedling is doing a three leaves clover thing, will get a photo a little later and share, will have to see how this plant turns out, sort of crazy…

I’ll chime in a bit later with some more photos, have to get ready for work… ;(

2 Likes