Strainaholics Anonymous meeting

Okay OG Fam,

I know buying beans started out as a nessity and hobbie for me but now I’m starting to think that it’s becoming an addiction. I started buying beans overseas in quantities as they were not available in the US and made sense since shipping cost and confiscations were high but now I have no need to purchase the amounts that I do since the influx of seed banks in the U.S.
The rationality that I use is that I’ll miss out and the cost of beans will keep rising at a rate that I will no longer be able to afford them so I should pick them up now. What made me realize that I may have a addiction is that when friends came over this Thanksgiving and ask for some seeds and I open up the dedicated refrigerator to get the beans, their jaws dropped said "holy shit!! why do you have so many seeds? Can you even get though all of them? Then proceed to take pictures to share on there social media. I thought for a minute then realized that even if I popped a pack a week It would take me at least 5 years, granted that I wouldn’t be able to pop a pack a week because of plant count laws. Btw, bought like 12 more packs for the Black Friday sales. It was too good to pass up.
Lucky Dog packs at $95, Karma packs at $75, Dominion at $50, Bodhi’s new drops at $51, Dynasty packs at $96, Jaws essentially $40 with the Bogo and a few other breeders.
I’d like to think of myself as a preservationist and a hobby grower but is this too much? I can afford to buy the seeds and won’t ever put myself in any financial difficulties but, when enough, enough?
I’d like to hear your thoughts?
As a side note: I’m not willing to let any of my beans go and only give away repro’s and hybrids.

15 Likes

Don’t worry, you are in good company.

And now you’re here. Another refrigerator?

12 Likes

I think I have around 100 strains and who knows how.many actual beans…
I have shared but now that i am making seeds I see no reason to send our purchased seeds to others with no good reason

3 Likes

I’ve managed to stop buying seeds for now, but it’s only been two months. We’ll see. :man_shrugging: I also keep collecting strains for no particular reason, even though I probably won’t ever have time or space to run them all, and certainly won’t ever run them all without doing seed runs on at least some of the IBLs. I trade, but I try not to trade away my last of any particular strain so I’m always increasing my strain count. It might be considered an addiction, but it’s not an addiction that’s particularly harmful to me or anyone else, so I’m not particularly trying to quit. It’s certainly no worse of a hobby than coin or bottle cap collections, and I could even start a stamp collecting hobby at the same time from all the trades… two birds, one stone! Seems like a win/win. :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking of which, anyone have any SSH regs they’d be willing to trade? :blush:

3 Likes

I agree and I’m still looking at the prospect of new strains from Realseed co…

Mostly managed to stay clean over Black Friday week, but relapsed on some farmerjoe beans.

2 Likes

5vrts4

15 Likes

Since arriving here my THC allotment has doubled. And since my real interest is CBD I will need a couple of years before I cycle through them. So I watch the free seed thread from the sidelines and only jump in for the sport once in a while as of late. Heck, with the last four plants that were suppose to be minimal THC and they were not, I have years of smoke at my rate of consumption. So I think I can hold myself back.

4 Likes

When I neared 100 strains I thought for sure I would “have it all” and there would be no need to accumulate more. Oh I blasted right past a hundy and if anything just hit the gas. :v: :laughing:

Haha, man, I have patted myself on the back for letting a couple pay periods go by with no additional purchases. We are accomplished men!

Yeah, hi, I’m Bizzle, its been a while. I fell off the wagon. Saw a highland Guerrero pop up and poached it. Single pack, on sale, fucking kidding me?! Plus I got a freebie. What freebie? IDK, who cares?! Also, got hooked on Meph. Thats right, Monday drops of the good Meph. 1packs, 3 packs. Haven’t gotten crazy with the 7 packs but hey I’m new! What else….tried to score some Bodhi packs on a “pre-sale” of the new shit, but correspondence has been sluggish from the selling party lets say. Maybe getting hosed on this deal will put me back on the wagon. Collection complete. The time to wander the bush sewing the great herb draws near. :evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I have been blasting through tons of THC strains, but we use 2x or more CBD than we do THC. I have a little more hemp on the way to press, so I can make it till I start a crop of CBD strains and then hopefully I can just grow a ton of CBD/Hemp to press. Full CBD run and also a full OG run will start to be popped in a month or 2 I think. As much as I love a variety of THC strains, I will be on the prowl for some of the newer hemp strains from last year and this year. Hoping I can hit a few hemp heads up and find some interesting things to pop. I do have a number of hemp strains and a number of CBD crosses, but there is some nice stuff that came out last year and this year.

Naa you don’t have a problem, just a passion heh. Can always put the brakes on and chill out for a while and pick back up later after you burn through some strains. That’s part of the reason when I started buying seeds, I mainly went for single seeds of various fem strains so I could blast through a lot of strains just to test/try since we have been out of the loop for years.

1 Like

The only reason I can state is that I am buying out a full breeders list only because I dont want to lose out on those specific strains and their genetics. Breeders always move forward and they dont usually save the moms for a super long time, which in turn seed production for that strain slows down or stops completely. They move on to the next and than stocks run out. The part that I hate after that is that its hard to find others who have that strain and than they might not even have enough to share.

I bought 2 extra 4x4 tents only to create clones of the mothers and than make Fem seeds to share from that strain. I know that not everyone has a lot of space and most people only have that 4x4 space or maybe a bit more to veg and flower their own stuff. But to each his own.

I personally dont mind getting 30+ seeds from a strain and than I have to hunt down that perfect pheno from the original seed that it came from. I just want to get those seeds and than I will do the leg work.

Any one else agree with any of this or am I now the crazy one.

3 Likes

“so I could blast through a lot of strains just to test/try since we have been out of the loop for years.”

And that was why I was collecting a few as of late. My knowledge only spanned the latter half of the 70’s and the 80’s and things were not as colorful back then.

4 Likes

@Northern_Loki thanks for redirecting me here took me a while to read trough this tread and am glad that I’m not the only one.
@bassman5420 great idea as to the single seed fems think I’ll try that for the new year resolution.
@MAXIMAS01 my thoughts exactly. The loosing out thing hurts the most. I mainly focus on non hyped strains now these days as most strains are bottle necked and have the same effect. The thing that upsets me the most are the folks that buy up most wanted strains at drops and turn around to sell them at 2-3x the going rate. For example I just saw Goji Og listed on a site for $2000, don’t know if I can list the site so we’ll leave it at that. I always consider others and hold back on purchasing more than 2 pack for f2’s and only 1 pack for f1’s.
The recent bodhi drop was sold out in a matter of minutes and am glad that I got one pack of each.

5 Likes

You can say the site. I know it’s on strainly. Just saw it myself

Edit: that’s part of what overgrow is around for. Helping each other get good genetics without having to pay an arm and a leg. Case in point, the Gogi OG preservation/open pollination going on

2 Likes

Saw the preservation for that but I’m new to the site so didn’t know if I could participate in that yet.
Thanks for the info.
Been lurking on here for almost a year and saw that this community beat fit my attitude towards sharing and caring. Love it here great folks and atmosphere.
Thanks OG

6 Likes

I think you need to be TL2 to join

1 Like

Ya it worked out pretty good for the most part. A few seeds did not pop sadly, but that’s how it goes sometimes and usually I have a 95%+ germ rate but some just don’t want to go. Some strains I wish I had a 10 pack of, but I was going for variety of strains to try and did not plan on pheno hunting at all then. I am also quite the penny pincher (if no one has noticed yet lol :laughing:). Now I would rather make and/or trade for seeds to be quite honest.

Indeed, losing out on even half decent strains and its own phenos does suck badly. I am currently buying out everything for Ripper Seeds, have more than 20 packs of their stuff. Currently battling USPS to find one of my packages but I’m still ordering from other locations. The hardest part is getting stuff from over seas that got it from us and us are out of stock or dont even have them anymore.

Later on when I get a mother plant going from a few of their strains, I will make bags and bags of fem seeds from each of the strains and I will give them away for cheap\free just so I know that its preserved.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with saving a penny. I’ll be doing a run with Banana terps next year and plan on sharing with the OG fam.

1 Like