Strainaholics Anonymous meeting

Hi. I’m allotment, and I’m a strainaholic.

It started when I made an account on OG. I came here to learn more about growing and was confronted with so many strains, crazy community seed runs and people offering seeds to random people out of niceness. Now I want them all. This can’t be right. Please help.

93 Likes

Feel free to talk about your problem. We don’t judge.

23 Likes

I’ve got it bad. 64 strains and crosses in my fridge. I keep saying I need to give some away. I really need to get on that.

31 Likes

Haha! … Its a good problem in all reality… Better than waking up with a hang over every morning. Could be worse. Carry on! :laughing:

19 Likes

that’s a mild case ha ha ha

21 Likes

its all fun and games until you start seriously considering acquiring another refrigerator for the sole purpose of housing your seed collection

36 Likes

I found a seed in my Auto Euforia bud while preparing a vape.

YESSS ANOTHER SEED

23 Likes

Hahahaha… Laughing hard! Should of been a comedian!! :smile:

4 Likes

Same here I’ve got gear from freebies I know I’ll never get around to growing

8 Likes

Hello, my name is HaRdRoC and I AM A STRAINAHOLIC… I just can’t seem to stop buying them, even though I have more than I could EVER grow, I still buy or trade for a few packs a week.

19 Likes

@cogitech
Lmao plus 20 character
:smile::rofl::grin::blush::grinning::sweat_smile::joy:

2 Likes

You remember me my niece when she barely couldn’t stand up. I gave her a :cookie: and took it with one hand, gave her another and took it with the othet hand. Offered her a third one and started to cry because she couldn’t catch it.

I have the next year covered with the seeds I’ve already got but still looking for more strains, planning to do a refrigerated bunker in the garden :grin:. It’s just like , cannot choose one because that means rejecting all the others …

15 Likes

I start to salivate & panic looking at my list…feeling guilty about the oldest ones…still want freebies & prizes…still have a few breeding projects in mind…don’t even have an indoor garden…bathub is callllling me for it.

I read seedfinder for fun.

:neutral_face: :wave:

:evergreen_tree:

20 Likes

You too eh? Lol I’m constantly checking out strains and breeders on there

9 Likes

Guilty as charged… :joy:

Or when you already did that, and you decided a mini fridge was a reasonable size… until it wasn’t.

21 Likes

The struggle is real…

10 Likes

At least 50 lifetimes worth at 10 strains a year and I only have 20 years left in me, if I’m lucky

24 Likes

Have around 250 kinds and still counting. Have only really been collecting for 5 or so years. Don’t even wanna think about what I’m gonna become in the future :cold_sweat:. I am not sure whether to keep the stuff in the fridge or freeze it all. Already have more than a lifetime of seeds for the kind of small spaces I’ll be running. I’ve heard from a few people I respect that you can freeze seeds indefinitely with little to no loss in germination rates but even after freezing some freebies for a year and successfully germinating them, it still gives me a mini heart attack thinking about something going wrong. I still probably will though because some of them I won’t get to for well over 5 years. If ever lol. Would rather lose some germ rates than lose it all together.

For all the seed addicts here: what is the longest you’ve successfully germinated seeds from the fridge? I’m worried about some of my older ones losing their success rate over time.

13 Likes

I have maybe 25, and real happy at that!

8 Likes

I cracked a bunch of seeds from 2000-2004 in like 2015-16…i got pretty good rates, 60-80% germinated… it all depends on how they were stored… germination rates declines with time; cold storage will slow down the decline…
if u worry, crack them now and make f2 seeds to replace them.
next spring we’re going to do that with several batches of older seed…

I currently have like 37 unique cultivars in plant form; that figure goes up and down but its usually around 40 unique kinds at any given time. Its not much considering big-box seed makers often have over 100 unique cultivars .

Mine consist of males, some are heirloom or vintage gear thats in permanent veg, others are for running and the rest are new things or test runs of new stuff… a couple are the same thing but different phenos… ie NLD and WLD-type phenos of NL…

but we’ve got so many seeds in our vaults lol… i cant tell you u how many pill bottles, film cannisters, cellophanes and stamp baggies that Dr. Dank and I have between us…

We both have our own seeds, we collect seeds and we make seeds together, lol. and I still buy seeds, like often… i keep saying “one day i’ll have space to crack them all”…
hopefully by January 2021 we will have permits to grow thousands and thousands… i dream of circa 2001 Swiss plantations… lol, one day

since 99, ive operated by Nevil’s methodology… 30-50 plants per gen… but ive always wanted to plant 1000 and be like, i’m gonna kill 998 of these. just to say i did… I dont actually need that many to properly select, its just something ive wanted to do since i was a kid…

its not just aqcuired genes that we have. for every strain we carry, there’s a dozen or more, that for one reason or another didnt make the cut. ive got so many that didnt get past f1 or f3…

im just like everybody else; i cross a male with several diff females… differance is, that i typically choose only one cross to carry… there will be times when i have two strains that have the father…but you’ll never see me drop 10 strains made with the same male lol .
but i still have the seeds from the others which adds up quickly… i also make seeds with differnt phenos of something… i literally cross things everywhich way possible and choose the one i like the most, to add to the catalogue… there always leftover seeds and they add up. but hopefully one day we’ll have the ability to plant them all :slight_smile:

29 Likes