Strains you won't grow/why?

ROTFLMMFAO

I enjoyed reading your post. It explains the disappointment of smoking and growing fake strains.

3 Likes

99% of what’s “breeders” are releasing these days. At this point most of the “new strains” are just a mash up of the same few elite cuts.

Sadly nothing truly special has been found since the early-mid 90s. Sour, Kush, Chem and Diesels are are from that time period and from that point forward 99% of “breeders” just used those to “create” the crosses to find the new elites.

I will say though with a community like the one here at OG, I have no doubts that this is where the next truly unique plants will be found. Ones that don’t have Sour, Kush, Chem or Diesel somewhere in their lineage.

19 Likes

@J-Icky , think you are on point here. Do what we can to empower individuals, As many separate individuals, doctor, lawyer, beggar man, thief, we bring knowledge and genetics forward…Like lights in the sky, we can overcome corporate blah!!!

6 Likes

Everyone is looking for the quick buck in the boom of the green rush. Very few of the new seed sellers actually work a line, just make a cross, maybe do a test grow, then sell it with a flashy label and name. Granted, F1 usually makes a relatively uniform set of plants, while the f2 won’t be anything like it. So name that F1 and know that it won’t grow true from seeds made.
Let’s start as close to scratch as we can, grab a landrace/heirloom indica and sativa, make a cross, make F2s and start phenohunting.

8 Likes

I agree we need more people to start working from scratch. That’s where the real magic will be found, in those true F1s.

As for modern stuff, I doubt most of what’s out there could be considered close to an F1 cross. That’s why most packs come with the disclaimer that multiple packs may be needed to find a keeper.

But honestly it all started with the skunks and nl and other early stabilized lines. Once those were openly available people got lazy and just started crossing those together and with everything. “Breeders” stopped working with landraces. Stopped looking for those 1 in a million plants and then working and crossing those and instead went the easy route.

6 Likes

Based on what I’ve read, It doesn’t help that the most prominent breeders and strain seekers polluted the trail as they went.

5 Likes

Not to mention those that purposely bred out the most desirable characteristics of plants, such as effectively killing off the RKS in favor of the sweeter pheno. Much of that was dictated by the unfavorable laws at the time, that forced breeders to breed toward less stinky plants, so it was an understandable, but unfortunate decision.

8 Likes

That sucks , no never grabbed x18 from any one . You should out him . That’s fucked up.

Just a fun question, if you could go anywhere in the world (guaranteed no harm could come to you) where would you go to search for new heirlooms/landraces to start from scratch?

For me, some hidden valley in Afghanistan with an “undiscovered by westerners” strain in it. Though some of the other central-asian countries would be intriguing to strain hunt in. I have no doubt it would provide many political challenges while there and when you return home, even if you were safe.

Today my girlfriend was complaining about the high cost of cinnamon and unavailability of lavender. Plants are a very powerful thing. Empires have been founded and crushed from them. Spices and herbs have always been in high demand, enough that wars are fought for their control.

11 Likes

That is hillarious! We used to say there is a seat for every ass when i sold cars - some models we couldnt figure out why anyone would want… haha… that is the first time i have seen it anywhere else and so appropriate for this topic!

Good show!

6 Likes

You can slip in and out of Afghanistan without a passport stamp. The border is too porous and border security too non-existent to enforce. It’s much safer to slink into Afghanistan from Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, or Uzbekistan. The northernmost regions of Afghanistan are relatively safe. I would feel much safer going to Afghanistan than Pakistan, especially along the AFPAK border. You wouldn’t get any trouble from customs on the return to the US. If you ran into ISAF forces (or whatever they’re called these days), you’d get turned over to state immediately and your life would be sub-optimal for a while, but there shouldn’t be any significant, lasting consequences.

I’m not sure how much is undiscovered out there. I doubt there is a single village that hasn’t been reached by coalition forces in the last 15 or so years of conflict. We’ve scoured every square inch of that country, with imagery and boots on the ground.

Kidnapping and targeted killing would be your biggest risk. You can mitigate some of that risk by making sure you stay in areas with ethnicities friendlier to westerners. You can kind of zig zag your way through friendlier areas in Afghanistan. The risk is low enough in the north that I wouldn’t call it an impossibility.

RIP Northern Alliance

8 Likes

Anything from growers choice seeds lol,terrible genetics tiny plants complete waste of a grow

I just binned them rest
Of the seeds
I had left from them

I’ll never grow anything from mark strainly either again after that shit show of the 60day bubblegum autos

More seeds
I threw in the bin as well

5 Likes

I grew a Tangerine Dream from them that came out pretty good. I still have 2 beans of it that I will eventually grow.

7 Likes

Never had a plant
Grow that size from their seeds,most I got
From growers choice seeds in a plant was 2oz dried

1 Like

Autos & Fems…its just me folks I’m old school…

7 Likes

I’m gratefull that I have recieved beans from l
Users here. Although I have recieved autos and they were Marks autos, which imo they are not autos. They need a 12/12 time for flowering which has fucked up a whole grow of mine. Didn’t have bud for a while,. These plants might be good grown right with information on them. But them being called autos has messed up a ton of people’s grows. Heck before I knew you had to flip em, I sent a user them, called them autos. And messed that users whole grow.

2 Likes

Same here luckily I got to read some feed back from other before gave to many away! I also haven’t grown yet so I know what to do with them once I do. Lol

1 Like

I need to figure out which ones I have and offer em up to someone in need. I don’t want em.

2 Likes

Screw that. If that’s the case I don’t blame you. Maybe I just lucked out and picked one of strains they got right. I looked up grow journals of others growing Tangerine Dream from them at the time that all had good results too. Never bothered to check grow journals of any of their other strains though.

2 Likes

I ended up throwing the rest of the seeds out I had from them,spent a few hundred bucks on seeds as well

This was all auto seeds I don’t know what their photo seeds are like but they have terrible reviews online

This is when I first started to grow autos,since their not far from me,then they want $10 return shipping if your seeds don’t open for replacement seeds if you even get replacements from them,they still owe me seeds I’m not even going to bother to take them lol

1 Like