Struggling first time grower - please help!

When I came back after 20 years to growing again I did a lot of research. I found them and was a little skeptical but I am telling you the same thing I read over and over from other folks who had them… “I will NEVER grow with anything besides Octopots again. NEVER!” The only thing left I have to fight now is them GD spider mites… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Reading everything, I would definitely attack the light intensity first. I would back way off (distance or intensity whatever is more feasible). Give it a couple days and see if you can get those leaves rigid and praying. If you don’t see improvement from drastically reduced light after a couple days then it’s something else. Check one thing off the list at a time starting with the most likely. Imo, based off the information you provided, that’s light intensity.

I do agree that they don’t look that bad. Find the issue and they could be happy quite soon.

3 Likes

Temp has been around 75f with rh 60-65 for veg, with the intent of raising temp/lowering rh for flower. Added a heater a few days ago to get it up into the low-mid 80s, but have turned off the heater for now after the changes (more deformed new growth) I saw the next day. plan to turn it back on once I’m comfortable it wasn’t part of the issue.

5 Likes

If you have a lazer/infra red thermometer you can check the leaf and bud temps, they will be different to the tent temp and give you an idea at how the plant is controlling it’s temps to the environment.

7 Likes

I never thought of this… I just got one too… Cant wait to test it out next grow.

3 Likes

OK team - I have raised the light from 15" to 22" and backed off the intensity from 73% to 45%. BIG difference in light, so hopefully enough to test this variable. @Eagles009 let me know if you think I should go further.

@catapult Will definitely check out octopots. I have definitely been thinking about how to better dial in water for the next run. Love the idea of a SIP system and like Earthbox in particular, but the dimensions of Earthboxes aren’t friendly to a 4x2 space (I could only fit one).

5 Likes

In my opinion with octopots… One would be plenty! If you try and put more than 3 in a 5x5 space you will have less yield in my opinion.

Check out a test i conducted last grow on no of plants vs yield. We also tested lights vs yield this grow as well.

5 Likes

There are a few other options for the SIP containers. https://www.lowes.com/pd/12-13-in-W-x-20-13-in-L-x-8-in-H-Gray-Plastic-Raised-Garden-Bed/5001726615?cm_mmc=shp--c--prd--lwn--ggl--LIA_LWN_123_Live-Goods--5001726615--local--0-_-0&gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNPTyTjDwq5QugS8FvnKZ1ZhLMU1ekUDpAizO8tv50maU_ZhRxn3VYRoCqnUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EMSCO-GROUP-20-in-W-x-24-in-L-x-10-in-H-Earth-Brown-Resin-Raised-Garden-Bed/3341626

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Patio-Picker-Raised-Bed-Grow-Box-8211-Self-Watering-and-Improved-Aeration-8211-Mobile-Unit-with-Casters-Brown/5002188891

2 Likes

If you decide to add heat for flower, I would only do so for the first month or so. I’ve found that I can push temps into the mid 80’s w my leds and adequate humidity levels, but there is a fine line to reaching the too hot threshold, which won’t really burn plants as much as just stress them out, so watch out for herms, nanners and foxtails at that point.

Yes, one plant limit there…

3 Likes

Sounds like it should be a significant drop. I might have gone up to 30".

Reading about your light and setup this SHOULDN’T have been your root issue. The plants should have been able to take what you had it at…

So they were in a weakened state to show light impacts at a reasonable intensity. My thought is you may have addressed the other issues, pH, watering, nutes, etc. But the plants might not be healthy and happy enough to receive that much light? I have found weakened plants will react to strong light adversely. And DRASTICALLY reducing the same will help them heal up and get right quicker. That’s what I’ve seen in my tent anyway.

3 Likes

Too much heat in that tent with not enough humidity for veg, those plants look hot…

And nitrogen burn from heat. Look at the tips… the rest of the plant is just feeling the pain from those 2 symptoms… just cool your tent down, hang a wet towel in there and water them babies with just plain H20 and I bet they bounce back in 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Makes a lot of sense. I’ll adjust a but further and observe for a while. Thanks!

3 Likes

Overall diagnosis: overwatering to start leading to slow/stagnant root growth…added additional nutrients thinking you were seeing deficiency / slow growth… but didn’t pH them, being really low pH / too hot, exacerbated damp slow growing roots. Leading to beginnings of pH lockout. LED’s turned up to 100 and too close was further stressing plants potentially adding to lock-out conditions.

Also, they don’t look too bad at all, 20-30” away at 60-75% is turned down enough at this stage, IMO. I think you’ll turn these girls around yet!!

2 Likes

Great summary - thank you. Minor correction just to keep the record accurate…

Light max was about 75%, not 100%, but it’s a pretty beefy light and the logic still plays.

2 Likes

This discussion has been incredibly helpful - thank you all! Will post back after an observation period with lower light and no more amendments. Given I just flipped to 12/12 on Dec 23., any thoughts on going back to 18/6 for a couple of weeks while I monitor with lower light, etc?

4 Likes

I would not flip back to veg, you will just cause weird growth and stress the plant out a bit. If you have flipped them to flower then I would just ride it out a bit and see how they react. Usually even upset plants get into better health for a while just from being flipped to flower. Its not the end all solution, but I have flipped plants to flower in the past just because I was fighting so many issues in veg at the time and knew they would at least have a few week blast of health from the flip alone.

5 Likes

The plants are looking very healthy overall cuz. The canoeing or ‘taco’ is usually due to light/heat issues. Too close… Boron deficiencies can cause the unusual growth, but that’s rare to see, and usually due to underwatering or dry conditions.
Go with simple small solutions at first.
Other than the couple of minor issues, they’re lovely! Grown On and welcome to OG!

Edit… Don’t go back to veg cuz you’ve already flipped them so just give them a good dose of LITFA!

3 Likes

Welcome @just_farmin … I told u this is the place to be… you will love it here… no better community in the world… this is more of a family, a huge caring family… good luck brother

4 Likes

Thanks bro.

2 Likes

No problem bro, I’m new like you are, struggling, and after help from a few friends here it has gotten way better, plus all the free amazing knowledge!!! Full of marijuana geniuses

2 Likes