STS Preparation

Sorry, never used it, just tried to find the logic about the note you received with the package, he wouldn’t have increased the amount of part B if it wasn’t strictly necessary, just follow those instructions if you see it doesn’t work for you … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

Can someone help me out and correct my math.
Here are the original instructions:
-Take bottle A (30ml) and fill with 25ml RO or Distilled water
-Take bottle B (30ml) and fill with 25ml RO or Distilled water
-VERY SLOWLY Add half of each mixture into bottle C (150ml)
-Fill bottle C to bottom of bottle neck with water and add spritzer

Here are my modified instructions to make 5 batches instead of 2:
-Take bottle A (30ml) and fill with 25ml RO or Distilled water
-Take bottle B (30ml) and fill with 25ml RO or Distilled water
-VERY SLOWLY Add 5ml of each mixture into bottle C (150ml)
-Add 28ml distilled water to bottle C and add spritzer

Do my calculations seem accurate?

1 Like

You posted the same math for both?

Having made and tried STS and failed at getting viable pollen using the 0.8grams silver nitrate and 3.16g sodium theosulfate, maybe sebring wasn’t wrong by sending out the instructions calling for double the amounts in the same amount of solution :thinking:

2 Likes

Amounts of sodium thiosulfate will depend on whether you have anhydrous or pentahydrate.

There is someone on another private forum who swears by 0.5g silver nitrate + 2.5g sodium thiosulfate mixing to 1:7, spraying 4x, once at the flip and once every 3 days. I just mixed some up and will try it. Remember when combining solutions ALWAYS mix silver solution into the sodium solution. If you do it backward it turns black and it needs to be clear

3 Likes

The third bulletpoint holds the difference…lol…I should have shown how I got to my answer.

This is an STS kit from ShitSeeds

1 Like

Bottle A = 25ml
Bottle B = 25ml
Add half of each to 150ml bottle (12.5ml x 2).
150ml - 25ml = 125ml Distilled water to fill

Bottle A = 5ml
Bottle B = 5ml
Add 5ml of A and B, mix, add 25ml-28ml of Distilled water

Is this the same ratio? Ugh…I feel like a regard.
1A&B combined stock solution:5 Distilled water…am I close?..lol

1 Like

Okay…I think I’ve got it.
Original:
12.5ml bottle A + 12.5ml bottle B = 25ml
Bottle C is 150ml
150ml - 25ml = 125ml Distilled water

150ml ÷ 25ml = 6

So my math should be
5ml bottle A + 5ml Bottle B = 10ml
10ml × 6 = 60ml Distilled water

Does this look accurate?

My mom would be so disappointed in me right now…lol

1 Like

Yeah that should be accurate for maintaining the same concentration of STS

Yay for chatgpt :joy:

If you only wanted to use 5ml of A and B it should be this

4 Likes

The latter recipe should let you make 5 batches of STS from each 25ml bottle of A and B, respectively.

3 Likes

Amazing. I would credit ai for the answer, but you’re the true hero here! Thanks @HolyAngel …saved my ass again…lol

1 Like

Aw thanks!

So according to the AI, the Silver Nitrate is still the limiting reactant in the STS solution. So one could double the Silver Nitrate from 0.8g to 1.6g, while keeping the same 3.16g of sodium thiosulfate, and the resulting silver thiosulfate will be double the concentration and will still not precipitate out.

Actually, also according to the AI, it takes two moles of Silver Nitrate to react with one mole of Sodium Thiosulfate to produce one mole of Silver Thiosulfate.

So it seems like we could cut down the amount of Sodium Thiosulfate from 3.16g to just barely over double whatever the Silver Nitrate is :thinking: Like if using 0.8grams of Silver Nitrate, you should only need ~1.7g of Sodium Thiosulfate to make the STS and it’d be the same concentration :thinking:

3 Likes

Yet more info straight from the AI, someone please confirm the math if you can… Trying to figure out the percentage strength of STS so we can compare it with other STS recipes.

The original recipe of 0.8g/3.16g should come out to:

Molar Mass of Ag₂S₂O₃:

• Silver (Ag) has an atomic weight of about 107.87 g/mol.

• Sulfur (S) has an atomic weight of about 32.07 g/mol.

• Oxygen (O) has an atomic weight of about 16.00 g/mol.

• Molecular weight of Ag₂S₂O₃ = 2(107.87) + 2(32.07) + 3(16.00) = 215.74 + 64.14 + 48.00 = 327.88 g/mol.

Moles of AgNO₃ in 0.8g:

• The molar mass of AgNO₃ is approximately 169.87 g/mol.
  • Moles of AgNO₃ = 0.8g / 169.87 g/mol ≈ 0.00471 mol.

Moles of Ag₂S₂O₃ formed:

• The reaction between AgNO₃ and Na₂S₂O₃ to form Ag₂S₂O₃ is a 2:1 reaction. Therefore, the moles of Ag₂S₂O₃ formed will be half the moles of AgNO₃ used.
  • Moles of Ag₂S₂O₃ = 0.00471 mol / 2 ≈ 0.002355 mol.

So the Mass of Ag₂S₂O₃ = moles × molar mass = 0.002355 mol × 327.88 g/mol ≈ 0.772 g

The total volume of the solution is 150 ml (25 ml from each bottle plus 100 ml distilled water).

• Concentration (g/ml) = mass of Ag₂S₂O₃ / total volume = 0.772 g / 150 ml ≈ 0.00515 g/ml

To convert this to a percentage, we need to consider the grams per 100 ml:

• 0.00515 g/ml × 100 ≈ 0.515% STS

Per the original recipe with 0.8g silver nitrate and 3.16g sodium thiosulfate :thinking:

Edit: Fixed the calculation, should be accurate now :thinking:

If doubling the Silver Nitrate to 1.6g; note: Idk if that’s safe or not :man_shrugging:
the percentage would be 1.029%

2 Likes

Hold on a second here…
200w
Hmmm…I’m inclined to concur…:thinking::face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Took some editing but I think I got it right now. Also think I’m done talking to the AI for a bit :sweat_smile:

Again regardless, we should be able to cut down the Sodium Thiosulfate usage to just over half the Silver Nitrate amount :thinking:

Wait a minute. Are you doing 0.8g silver nitrate into the 25ml of distilled water? And same with the 3.16g sodium thiosulfate?

If so, your mix is around 4x stronger than Sebring’s mix which called for dissolving each of those same weights into 500ml water :thinking: that higher concentration would explain your reversal success tho :sweat_smile:

Sebring’s stock STS mix comes out to around 0.154% STS

1 Like

I’m not sure what the raw ingredients are…it’s the shitseeds sts kit.

1 Like

Oooh I see… so the bottles come with 5ml of mix already that is A and B and you dilute them further with 25ml of water before cutting in half to make two batches… in that case, we have no idea at all what the concentration is… let me redo the calculations

1 Like

Ok, to split the sts kit into 5 batches instead of 2, make the bottles of A and B just like he says. Add 25ml water to each bottle to make 30ml each of A and B respectively. Then, it’s pretty much like you already said :joy:
6ml A
6ml B
60ml water

3 Likes

@HolyAngel your doing my income tax return for sure now. Damm. Wayy to much mathematical quadraticals here. ( and no, I don’t even understand my own reference )

3 Likes

Lol I’m mostly relying on chatgpt over here. it’s wrong a lot, especially with math :joy: but I think that’s all accurate :sweat_smile:

2 Likes