Sun Grown Bud Is Better

15 years of smoking and, at least to me, regardless of the THC content and shiny trichomes present on plenty of indoor, outdoor weed just gets me higher. I can immediately tell if weed’s been grown under the sun vs lights and I find the high from sun grown weed to be much, much, more nuanced and “hi-fi.” I also find outdoor grown weed to generally be more psychedelic than indoor weed. Even regardless of the strain, it seems as if terroir makes nearly as much of a difference to the high experience as the genetics. Curious if there’s anyone else here on OG who feels similarly? Seems like folks are obsessed with THC content and perhaps don’t realize the high is much more about the synergy of all the different terps and chemicals created by the bud. My 17% THC blueberry get’s me 10x higher than the 30% THC indoor I’ve smoked. Also feels like the ceiling is much higher on well done outdoor. Feel the same way about dabbing - sure, one dab gets you a lot of THC but, the ceiling is low and the high is unidimensional and not trippy.

25 Likes

I have a very high tolerance probably from smoking too much too often lol. Ive never cared about thc %. For me smell is everything. If I am not impressed by the smell everything that follows is generally a disappointment. Ive never seen sun grown buds that compare to the best indoor stuff ive smoked…

11 Likes

Full Melt By Nature, Nothing Missing

6 Likes

I’m not sure I 100% share the same sentiments but I’ve also been privileged with indoor weed for most of my life, the only outdoor weed I get to smoke is what I’ve grown myself the last few years. I’d say both have their perks and own nuances but I couldn’t definitively pick one or the other, indoor weed is so visually pretty compared to outdoor usually.

One thing I’ve done for the past few years is try to mimick the sun’s spectrum indoors though, I run multiple UV lights and LEDs of different spectrums along with my regular growing LEDs and I’m getting pretty close to the Sun’s spectrum indoors, though I feel it’s almost impossible to fully imitate

25 Likes

It could also have to do with where I live. I think alot of the outdoor stuff grown around me is picked early because of cold/threat of mold. Not too mention most of it smells very similar which im not a fan of lol

6 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. I’m in Northern CA which …tends to be a pretty decent place to grow outside :wink:

I lived back east for awhile and the outdoor from there didn’t hold a candle to really well done outdoor from CA.

7 Likes

for sure most of the outdoor i seen growing up smelled like it was dried in a barn lol

4 Likes

This is super cool! Makes me curious about the indoor I have smoked. (I’ve never grown it myself inside.) But, I have to think your wider spectrum lighting probably helps with the more nuanced terp/high development.

3 Likes

I will say this though i’ve had some local greenhouse stuff that was pretty damn good. Not all of it but thats probably more of a genetics and grower thing

In my head I always considered greenhouse weed more like indoor though

4 Likes

Greenhouse (Outdoors with blackout is my Preferred Future)
I see trikes in my dreams, I would love to see some one weigh an indoor big trichome vs. Big Greenhouse Outdoor Trike. @JoeCrowe could photograph it, now who can weigh em…???

6 Likes

In a week or so I can compare some Barney’s Acapulco Gold indoor vs outdoor, they definitely have a similar look while growing so I’ve been curious to see how they dry in comparison, I’ll the outdoor one tomorrow

6 Likes

Oh definitely let us know how you feel they compare! That’s really cool doing them the same way.

2 Likes

I’ve never smoked natural light grown pot so I can’t form an opinion about that until I am able to grow some outside. However even then I’ll grow both inside and out. I’ve been reading all the headaches people are having with too high humidity, storms, caterpillars, thieves.,.,.,.,
The smoke may be better or worse but I’ll know someday but the prospects of a successful harvest is greater inside.
I’ll never put all my eggs in that basket. lol
:thinking:

4 Likes

You could measure the size, but I would really be prepared to accept the things that are DNA based. I mean, the hash yield is DNA based, so the trichome count and size must be as well.

7 Likes

Maybe one of these years I’ll grow the same stuff indoors and out so I can get it lab tested, see the actual numbers on each. I think that’d be super cool

5 Likes

It would be interesting to try, being new to growing, this might be a good test for me to see how I want to grow, inside or out.

1 Like

I think that much of the THC concentration percents are just marketing and boohaa. I’ve smoked better weed claimed to be 15% than weed claimed to be 20+%. They are just at the edges of researching the terpenes and their effects and nuances, you know? And now all those claims are creating legal and statute challenges. The same people who outlawed candy cigarettes - because they encouraged smoking - are now permitting heavy concentrations through concentrates like gummy bears.

I smoke, get high, and take another hit if I want more. I don’t need more gummy bears to enjoy myself, I need fresh, tasty, exotic cannabis grown by the same people I enjoy smiling at.

12 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. There’s more the high than just the rote THC/CBD

3 Likes

For a joint or bong I mostly prefer indoor flowers.
But for hash making - natural outdoor just hits different. Feels complete :heart:

2 Likes

This is so pretty from the top to the bottom of the picute :slight_smile:

1 Like