Sun Grown Bud Is Better

What I need is a reliable way to channel lots of sun into the grow and bloom room to supplement my lighting. Unfortunately the sun alone won’t cut it, when it’s winter.

1 Like

I chase my tail cause my farts smell good…Science

1 Like

…and that’s a damned lie!

1 Like

I’ve read through most of the thread, pretty interesting info. I don’t think anyone can say what’s better because almost everything that’s grown these days is mixed genetics that aren’t “native” to their region, so for example to say a Thai landrace is better grown in the sun when it’s far from the equator or an Afghani grown in an equatorial region is better grown under the sun just isn’t true… the Thai variety won’t finish in time and the Afghani will mold and need supplemental lighting to prevent premature flowering. Saying this though in Thailand I’m sure the sun grown local varieties would be much better than artificial light grown flower of the same cultivar because they were grown in their natural climate and the same with the broad leaf varieties grown outdoors around Afghanistan and Pakistan, that same plant grown outdoors in California will be lacking it’s true essence but indoors it can finish pretty close to it’s “native” environment. That’s why there are wine regions around the world, the climate suits the grapes perfectly and indoor grown grapes just don’t cut it.

I prefer outdoor cultivation but I’d be lying if I said the polyhybrids I’ve been growing here in Costa Rica grow better outdoors, sure they veg better but that’s with supplemental lighting but come flower time I’ve always dreamt of an air-conditioned environment with perfect humidity to finish them in and like @ReikoX said that’s also crucial for the drying process which is rare and logistically harder with outdoor harvests due to the large volume and weight.

There’s definitely some benefits the sun has though that we are yet to replicate, for example many old school growers/breeders like DJ Short or the Brothers Grim crew state that when a clone that’s been kept indoors for years looses it’s vigour and it’s lacking in health the only way to bring it back is to veg it in the sun… so that speaks volumes in its self. Also according to Breeder Steve with his huge outdoor farms in Colombia all the varieties that normally finish in 8/9 weeks indoors are finishing in 6/7 weeks, he puts that down to being so close to the equator and the power of the sun.

I think it’s definitely fair to say growing “perfect” crops indoors is easier because of the controlled environment and there for more people succeed indoors but a close to perfect plant grown in the sun(which is rarer than hens teeth) will have more complexity within its chemical make-up, like a higher level of terpenes and flavanoids. And personally sun grown gets me higher for longer. We are getting better at emulating nature all the time but we still have a ways to go.

I also agree with @corgitron if it burns good that’s the main thing.

18 Likes

Wish I could like this post twice :trophy: @FattyRoots

I think you raise a great point re: genetics need to match to terroir. Growing something like Mean Gene’s gear in mendo where it’s been worked for 30 years is a whole different ball game than trying to grow an equatorial narrow leaf well north of the equator.

2 Likes

THIS speaks volumes to the regenerative qualities of sunshine. The sunlight, but also the environment is causing that plant to react and snap back to life. The real problem lies in the one sided communication/observation between mankind and the plant kingdom.

6 Likes

A fair amount of outdoor growers setup controlled curing rooms, well at least here in South Africa. My area while super great for growing is horrible for curing. Average humidity of 70% an upwards.

I do agree with you that its very hard to quantify what makes some weed better than others when its consumption is a subjective experience.

And lastly just some anecdotal bits: I got to smoke some blunicorn that was grown from the same cut. 2 guys did indoors, organic and hydro (hydro grower is VERY good grower) and one guy did outdoors. There was a noticeable difference in the smoke for me but it came down to the length and strength of the high.
Indoor buds where like wham, bam thank you mam, felt really stoned but 30 minutes later and I’m reaching for the bong again. The outdoors was not as strong hitting but they high lasted for an hour almost. But with smoking being subjective as I said it could’ve just been all me.
In general tho, blunicorn was a very average smoke. Was a cut from some fems so maybe the real deal lives up to the hype.

4 Likes

The reason we don’t grow grapes indoors is that it’s not economically viable.

Grapes are far too cheap to grow inside. Takes years for young vines to produce significant harvests.

All those French vines are on American rootstock anyway lol. Kinda throws a monkey wrench into the terroir theory since the rootstock is Californian.

The sun has no special quality that cannot be replicated. It’s just radiation.

3 Likes

Trollin, trollin, trollin… Keep them posts a trollin…

3 Likes

2 Likes

Just because something is grafted doesn’t mean terroir isn’t real. It is, often in very quantifiable ways. If it wasn’t no one would ever pass sommelier exams because there wouldn’t actually be any differences.

@vernal I’m starting to think you are just jealous of anyone who can differentiate things better than you can. Take a wine tasting class. Pay closer attention. Stop smoking cigarettes. Whatever it is man, there are lots of people out there who do taste the difference. And in the case of wine, it’s very well documented with the sommelier tests(as stuck up as that whole world is, they are very very attuned to their senses no taking that away from them)

Terroir is simply the sum of the environment impacting which genes are activated and how the plant expresses it self.

If terroir didn’t exist it would mean indoor and outdoor come out the exact same. That a plant grow in hydro expresses the same as one in soil. That temperature and humidity doesn’t change how a plant grows.

So when you say a wrench in the terroir theory, as if it is some voodoo that’s doesn’t exist, it’s just pretty dumb and antithetical to your stance that indoor grown is better. If environment doesn’t effect it, they are the same as long as you pump the same amount of nutes in.

7 Likes

Vern is going to be the first person to live to be 200 years old on Mars because he and Elon are going to figure out how to sustain life better than all of evolution all in the matter of a couple decades

6 Likes

Well, the one fact of all of this that I understand unconditionally…after growing the very same plant for the past 20+ years…inside, outside, hydro, dirt etc…
The environment in which the plant is grown, is 90% of the end product. this same plant has provided infinitely different highs, all depending on how it was grown. When it comes to pure weight, i can not duplicate sun grown, in the ground, fed well…inside.
Both provide superb smoke.
When grown like crap (which I really did for years) I got crap smoke from it. When grown well, and cured, it reigns supreme.
The lighting even changes it, after going from HPS to LED, not only does the same plant look completely different, it smokes completely different. It’s like an infinite variety with one single mother plant…all driven by environment.
And, “better”, is a very subjective thing to people, they just do not know it.

7 Likes

Sommelier tests are about as scientific as divinity school or reiki certification.

It’s been proven that in blind tests people really can’t taste what came from where.

The wine world is full of fuckery like that. It’s actually a lot like the weed world in many ways.

I’ve worked in kitchens most of my life…I know what food and booze tastes like. I can cook circles around most. I’m just telling you it’s 95% bullshit.

I am very bad at lying to myself. If something just isn’t there, it isn’t there…as much as I may want to believe in it like the guy at the liquor store talking about chalky soils in Bordeaux…it’s pretty much nonsense.

3 Likes

This is absolutely asinine, if you don’t have that sun powering and sustaining life on this planet, resources to power your grow lights and feed you plants will dwindle very quickly.

You can grow without grow lights, but if that sun were to disappear all of our growing days would be numbered. Yes, you can get quite close in time to replicating it’s effects on plants, but it’s VERY, VERY unlikely there will ever be any replacement for it

2 Likes

Vern is always right mate, gotta be boring being so smart and never learning anything new.

Must be a stagnant life in that basement he dwells in, the poor guy doesn’t even believe in natural medicine or any of natures wonders for that matter.

On another thread I had mentioned I beat cancer with RSO and his response was “people beat cancer all the time”… giving no credit to the sacred plant! Must be a joyful existence always having the answers and shitting on anything related to nature.

No matter how much Eagle 20 you spray Verny at the end of the day we will all be worm food thus nature always has the last laugh so embrace it while you can braa

6 Likes

I think it’s plainly obvious I’m not arguing we should build a giant fake sun to light our planet…I am saying sun grown weed isn’t better than indoor how is this soooo controversial?

1 Like

Dude, Vern is trollin. He gets a kick out of trying to get under peoples’ skin. No one is stupid enough to make statements like there is nothing special about the sun. Not even that jamoke.

2 Likes

You seem pretty mad…but I’m still right about the grapes.

“yadayada vernal bad eagle 20 poison doesn’t believe in faith healing doesn’t believe in stuff with no evidence what sad man”

2 Likes

Not trolling. I just don’t believe in things with no evidence and I speak plainly. I don’t owe your belief respect by virtue of you having it. It’s wild how triggering it is when someone simply says “I don’t see any evidence of that being true” for whatever old wives tale the community came up with.

Zero, and I mean zero, evidence in this thread that sunlight is in any way superior to indoor lighting. But lots of nonsense and crunchy pontification on how you view the world.

3 Likes