Swayze's - 2x4x5 - First Grow - START to FINISH

Haha I was until his YouTube channel kept getting canned … I like the growing segments not so much watching him take dabs lol

The MEIZHI was only $200CAN… I guess pretty costly compared to building my own … but as a beginner I wanted to get the basics down pat before I start diving into making my own light … plus I’m no electrician lol so a lot of learning in my future lol

What about adding clay pebbles to the top? Would that help?

If not I may have to try a spout like that … just kind of difficult getting to back row of plants and I don’t wanna move em too much during flowering .

Edit @ReikoX answered my question before I could respond !! Thanks man !

3 Likes

i did a couple inches of perlite myself, wasn’t sure how that would affect top dressing cause i don’t do that stuff

2 Likes

Just remember to rinse them off real well first. Voice of experience (VOE).

3 Likes

I was thinking the same in terms of top dressing … but I gave the girls the last top dressing they will need for the remainder of the grow … I’m curious how it would go for future grows

QUESTION -
In terms of organic growing and keeping benificial bacteria alive and well

I PH water using lemon juice to keep things organic , if I used a PH down product would that have major affects on my benificial bacteria and microbial life in my soil?

I like the lemon juice cus the price is rite but I’m wanting to make a larger water resivoir and lemon juice only lasts about 4 days

What do some of you organic growers use to lower PH?

2 Likes

As an organic gardener, I don’t pH my water. The plant, along with the microbes, can modify the pH in the rhizosphere where it needs to be. Unless you have super hard water (pH 8+) I wouldn’t bother.

In the past I have used citric acid powder to pH down my hard water. I would mix a working solution of 2.5 grams to 250 ml distilled water. This can then be added at roughly 10ml per gallon as a starting point.

2 Likes

Nice thanks … ya my water is 8.2-8.5 in my city, so definitely gotta lower it …

Does the Citric acid break down at all? Or would it adjust the PH for long periods of time ?

1 Like

It’s likely not as good a phosphoric acid, for long time stability. I don’t bother myself.

1 Like

i think i’ve heard people using vinegar as well. thankfully my nutrients bring the tap water right in the desired range

Soil amendments such as dolomite lime, epsom salt or gypsum will help, but at 8 or 8.2 or anything near that, I would go with pH down to correct the water. It will mess up your soil after a time.

Hmm so if it will mess with my soil I’m probably better off just sticking to lemon juice and just PH rite before watering like I have been doing.

1 Like

Citric acid is derived from citrus fruits, completely organic, and is even an acid produced by the plant.

ya i get that its organic… i was mainly looking for a organic product that could keep the pH lowered for long periods of time … but as you mentioned its likely not as good as phosphoric acid for long term stability.

i was looking to make a water reservoir and get it to a good ph and not have to worry. but the more i look into it im prob better off sticking to what im already doing with the lemon juice.

It appears the plants are getting sufficient nutrients.

You’re dealing with an unusually high pH just fine it appears.

Here is a guy getting into it.

1 Like

So the plant on the right is one of two of my “Carnage” bag seed… it has always been of a lighter shade then all of the others… its starting to get a little more noticeable along the way…
QUESTIONS :

• keeping things organic is there a fast releasing Cal/Mag tea i could brew? or another common alternative to the bottled stuff?
  • or should i let my organic soil and nutrients just run its course and as you guys so nicely put it “LITFA” ?

• SWAYZE :cactus:
3 Likes

epsom salts for magnesium. i’ve heard of baked and ground eggshells for calcium.

1 Like

Wait a second, why do you think you need Cal/Mag? The plant shows neither a calcium nor a magnesium deficiency. A picture without the LED would help a lot. I noticed the purple LEDs tend to accentuate the lighter green plants. When I would look under natural light they were still lush and green.

Keeping it organic, top that pot with about 1/2 inch of worm castings and water it in. Worm castings are coated in calcium carbonate in addition to microbes etc.

4 Likes

what do you think?

5 Likes

maybe slight nitrogen def. how far in flower are they? 2 weeks to go looks like just their natural fade coming on

3 Likes

May well be she wants more nitrogen, or possibly she’s a quick finisher like @legalcanada said . You just top dresses three days ago, organic nutrients take a while to break down and become available. I would give them some LITFA for a week and re-evaluate.

3 Likes