SyrianLeb dwarf —> Ethiopian highlands

Is there a way to tell without testing if a male is high CBD/THC? If not how much are those tests? Thanks

2 Likes

I think the tests are about $175 for the 20-25 test kit. You run them 4-5 at a time on a single plate. The refill kits are cheaper because you already have the pipette.

I don’t know how else to test for cbd. I’ve only just learned these kits can do males. I think that’s pretty cool.

11 Likes

@lefthandseeds wow :flushed: these are fast! :slight_smile: Like 2.5 days on a wet paper towel and they were busting out of their shells :slight_smile: lol thank you again for the opportunity to work with some of your work I am very grateful and appreciative PS oh and 29/34 but the others might still go I cracked them and put them in a cup as well hopefully they will pop up :slight_smile: if not it’s ok I’m very grateful

5 Likes

They’re a lively bunch, and they flower fast! Hopefully you get the others to pop. You should get a number of phenos and chemotypes in those F1.

They’re nice to grow, and the bud is very kind. It’s practically all I smoke.

5 Likes

Are they a 50/50 split on drug type and med type? Or more like 70/30 THC/CBD phenos ? Or is it just kinda random :slight_smile: lol well regardless my buddy who lives down the street used to work a CBD farm for like 2 years and he says he can smell CBD and pick them out ! Lol hey I know it sounds crazy but he has not lied to me before and I don’t think he’s going to start now so I believe him it just seems… Difficult :slight_smile: lol

3 Likes

Probably more like 70/30, but I’m more used to growing later generations where I’ve done selections. I mostly get drug type now.

8 Likes

I found some pistils off the main stems of two males. Only the back right is pistil free still. Uncertain about what I’m going to do next… if the last male pops some pistils, I might just inbreed and take another selection rather than outcrossing.

The Longmont purple haze (bottom plants in the picture with seedlings) are really taking off. I pissed everything off when I did the transplant. I think my water level wasn’t high enough, but the roots eventually found water.

18 Likes

@deeez99 I’m probably going to do a leaf test pretty soon. Do you follow the regular instructions to do the test? 100mg leaf matter? And do you dry it first like you would with flower?

7 Likes

Hey that’s awesome to hear and yes for the most part the regular instructions should be followed. The main difference is that I found I needed to allow the leaf matter to sit in the extraction solvent longer than the suggested 2 min otherwise the colors are just barely visible. I’ve been waiting up to 10 minutes I think for the last tests that I posted. I also shake a few extra times during that period. I do think the two minute time frame works well for flowers though.

I found if the leaf is fully dried it’s easier to crush up into the test tube. But the test has still worked for me when the leaf was not fully dried even after the 50 min decarb @ 240°F. I think having the crushed leaves also allows better surface area coverage with the solvent.

Edit: I don’t measure the leaf matter any more, I have just been filling the 1.5ML tube to just under 3/4 of the way.

The only other tips I found that you may have already read about is that after the mobile phase is complete, let the plate dry pretty well before dipping it into the dye otherwise the colors can get splotchy.

Then after it’s been dipped in the dye allow that to dry pretty thoroughly and then scan it right away as you will notice after a couple days the results on the plate will run and degrade quite a bit, they are not really meant to be kept.

Excited to see your results and any other adjustments you might find for improvement. Good luck!

Edit: Forgot to ask if you ended up getting a Micropipette? After a few rounds I finally purchased one and feel silly for not getting it in the first place as it’s so much easier to work with. Apologies if I had previously neglected to mention that.

9 Likes

Amazing thanks. I had not thought about decarbing first. That makes sense though. I’ll probably give it a try tomorrow then. I saw that you’re supposed to bake the plates at 150C. So i guess that’s to get them really dry?

I did get a pipette. I bought the kit when they had 42% off, so I figured why not.

8 Likes

Ok so I’m not sure if I had missed that part of the instructions (I do see it now though) or possibly I had read that it wasn’t necessary but I never did this step.

Edit: Ok I remember why I didn’t do this step now, in the below video from alpha-cat (which is the same product essentially) they mention this part is not necessary if your product is already decarbed.

Alpha-CAT Cannabinoid Analysis Test Kit Demo

7 Likes

Fascinating thread…getting kinda blown away following this.

Those plants look incredible.

P J

7 Likes

Weeeeelll I got everything prepped and ready to test. I pulled leaves from the 3 males and the female. Then I decarbed the leaves and got them crushed up into the vials. When I opened the kit, found my extraction solution had been broken in shipping and all evaporated out. :sob:

So I’m on hold until I can get that sorted out. At least I have a few weeks before I need to apply pollen. But no males are getting killed today. Count your lucky stars, boys.

16 Likes

ahhh nooo! that is a bummer sorry to hear :frowning: Hope they can sort it out for you. When mine had arrived the glass jar was shattered and they told me to just use any jar with a lid basically haha but hopefully they’ll replace your testing solution.

If for any reason they don’t I’ve just been using chloroform for both extraction and mobile phase and can send you the link from where I ordered.

Lovely looking leaves though btw!

5 Likes

I’d appreciate the link. Chloroform was a little hard to source when I last tried to put together a kit. I think there are other solvents that could work, but I don’t know enough about it to try. I have some methanol, but I think that’s much more polar than chloroform.

7 Likes

ok found it

i have no idea if i’m on a “list” now haha but they shipped it without issue. i think the other option was a combo of hexane and ether maybe but I’ve been happy with just straight chloroform and it keeps the process more simple.

5 Likes

fun fact- in late 19th century french absinthe lounges they mixed imported moroccan hash with chloroform and toluene, and blended the whole mixture with marzipan and spanish flea for consumption.

I’m sure it got them really fucked up but what were they thinking… Those zany french!

7 Likes

omg…wonder what the avg life span ended up being for the frequent patrons. yikes.

6 Likes

Haha! Yes, I’m sure that would put me under. Not something I’m eager to try.

6 Likes

Wow :flushed:! Dude that’s badass ! I have always wanted a bottle of chlorophorm :slight_smile: lol well you never know when a body might need to be knocked out! :slight_smile: Lol ya know set a bone , pull a tooth, take a foot or whatever :slight_smile: for real though I’m not taking no mark or jab or whatever just for groceries or doctorin I know how to do most field medic stuff well the simple stuff :slight_smile: anyways I’m rambling but that’s awesome I’ll be getting me a bottle for sure :slight_smile: that’s so cool

4 Likes