- syzygy's journal - the clown show

Also you gonna wash and reuse this guy? I don’t know if bees decompose or rot. I’ve never thought about it before.

10 Likes

I would absolutely reuse the bee if I still had it, there was a bit of an accident… Sucks because I probably won’t find another bee that I can catch so easily again for a while. At least I will have some hand crafted bee-pollinated organic seeds ?!

Again - I soaked it in ethanol, froze it, then dried it out with a ceramic heat gun.

11 Likes

Yeah I’d say that’s a clean bee.

5 Likes

Probably - night time temps have been pretty cold. All of the plants would look better if I could provide a more optimal environment.

I have only had these plants since December so grain of salt on everything. These are just my initial impressions.

It seems the most finicky out of everything. Leaves usually have an off color or curl a bit indicating environmental or nutritional sensitivity. In the mom tent it takes up a lot of space based on how it branches. The TK also appears fairly large and takes up a lot of space but the stems seem more malleable and like it has superior structure in how it spaces out. I actually like the thinner stems on the TK and Triple Sunshine personally, but I think I may be in the minority on that front. The plant seems like it would not perform well (but I could be wrong) in a 1 GAL pot and eventually I do want to get back to that style. All of this won’t matter much at all though if I end up loving the flower.

Pinesoul to me seems like it would probably be happier outside and the stronger stems would also likely be an asset there.

I couldn’t say but early on I’m not getting any notes that I identify as Lavender on the LJ. Too early to really compare it to the sativa LJ that I had but I know that one ended up smelling very strong and kind of grew on me. We’ll see.

I’m excited to see what the bubba and Irene are like - both smells sound awesome to me.

11 Likes

I had meant to say I didn’t grow them but was given flower of both of them. I didn’t get any lavender per se, it was much more just that Wookie scent. Again, I smelled a similar scent in the Space Monkeys, but it wasn’t lavender, I just know it comes from the lavender and/or the wookie combo in general. And the effects were like the lavender too. Maybe wookie-ish in general. Definitely good smoke.

And yeah both the Irene and bubba are tasty! I’d almost say pick the bubba by 8 weeks or so when she looks done, rather than waiting to 9+ when the trichomes get amber, as she’ll taste better earlier. Up to you tho, im looking forward to the pics already regardless of when you pick them :drooling_face:

7 Likes

I think I might have a 3rd SSDD f2 female @syzygy !

I’m not 100% sure yet but I’m definitely leaning toward thinking it’s a female. It’s just starting to get pre-flowers. The 4th one I’m guessing is a male but it still doesn’t have pre-flowers. Just one starting to grow and looking with a magnifying glass my guess is male.

3 of 4 females would be pretty sweet!

I had to move all my young plants to a new room and it’s a bit colder + my oil heater has been acting wonky (think I need to replace it). Oh, and my f’n humidifier decided to die too. lol
I have a bucket of water in the room and another smaller bucket on top of the oil heater but RH is around 45-48.
Temps have been 68-69 on average. So between the two it’s slowed down growth a bit. I’ll get it dialed in though.

That reminds me… I need to order a new humidifier.

Anyone have one they really like? The one I was using didn’t last very long. I don’t need anything crazy. It’s just a (roughly) 6x6x6.5 ft room.

6 Likes

Nice! My temps have been kind of hectic lately too. I should probably have some sort of space heater & thermostat setup but by the time I get all that figured out I won’t even need one anymore.

I’ve used a few humidifiers in the past but recently don’t use one. My last one was a DIY one I made using a pond fogger, 5 gal bucket, PVC, and a waterproof fan hooked up to a humidity controller and would easily handle a room of that size. Ultrasonic foggers can leave a slight film on surfaces (and leaves) from water hardness but I liked that unit more than store bought humidifiers (coolmist & ultrasonic).

9 Likes

Yeah the ultrasonic cool mist humidifiers definitely leave a film, and make things wet within a couple feet of the humidifier if it’s running on med/high. I have to be careful where I put it because of that. I am running a 4ft., 8 bulb t5 fluorescent fixture in that room and I have it pretty low to the ground so I need to make sure the humidifier doesn’t get it wet.

That’s what just died on me. I’ve had at least 3 of these ultrasonic humidifiers die on me. Even though they have an auto shutoff they don’t like to be run low on water. It seems to keep killing them.

I was thinking of going with a warm mist vaporizer/humidifier this time. The nice thing about the warm mist ones is they produce steam by heating the water with a heating element, which also adds heat to the room (you’d be surprised how much heat they can add!). So i’m thinking maybe it would kill 2 birds with one stone.

If you ever do add a heater I would strongly recommend an oil heater (looks like a radiator). They are cheaper to run and put off a much more gentle heat that warms an entire room without drying the air out too much.
Even in that small 6x6 space it’s only dropped the humidity by about 5%.

7 Likes

Ya, I’ve always read the oil based heaters are safer to run than space heaters. I’ll probably hold off as I’ll be complaining about the high temps in a few months in the summer haha.

… retracted…

15 Likes

RIP, bee on a stick haha. I loved you…

From what I’ve smoked, it was more floral, not exactly “lavender,” but that’s good in my book haha. I did think it was very, very “complex,” though, super-tasty and just all kinds of shit going on. I’d always notice, like,”Ooh! That’s new…” every time I blazed it. I even picked up on some legit artificial grape flavors/smells at one point.

I do think, too, you know… Credit to the grower on that one. Whoever it was that grew it haha, they did an enviable job on the dry and cure. I’m not sure that if I grew that cut it’d turn out tasting the same way.

Anything that was produced before, like, 2014 haha.

Dude, I’m serious, I have one humidifier that I bought then and she’s still pumping (getting close to having to ditch her, though). Where I live, it’s so fucking dry, I need as many as I can get and everything I’ve bought in the last six years works for a while and then they just die. Three years max and then they’re done, it’s super-annoying.

I’ve read that Swamp Coolers are good. Just keep in mind that they draw a lot of power, like 2+ amps, so if your circuit breaker in the room can’t handle that extra…

Point your humidifiers just kind of into the room and not into the tent itself, if for no other reason than your health. That film isn’t something you wanna be smoking, I don’t think. There’s minerals and heavy metals in it, even if you use RO water to fill them. Distilled water would work, but do you really wanna go to the store and buy ten gallons every day? Haha…

7 Likes

Another reason I want to go to a vaporizer/humidifier - they don’t leave any film behind since it’s steam.

But yes, I don’t let the cool mist blow directly on the plants. I keep it in the corner of the room away from everything.

5 Likes

What is TSA x ssdd? (out of curiosity)
That triple sunshine x ssdd sounds really nice. You make it sound better than the actual straight ssdd! lol
But I’d feel bad taking more seeds from you. You already hooked me up with the SSDD f2’s.

Hey, I forgot to tell you I was able to score a pack of Bodhi’s black triangle! Shoe had a pack left in stock and I grabbed it immediately. Excited to finally try this black triangle that everyone seems to rave about. I’ve never had triangke kush.

Looking forward to making some crosses with it too. Everyone seems to say that the black triangle is a great parent for crosses.

I was never the biggest fan of Bodhi’s gogi OG. I bought Bodhi’s Heaven mountain to try it. It was good and all, but just not my favorite. I actually still have most of a pack left of the Heaven mountain. Someone here asked if I’d make f2’s of it, so I do want to do that once I have room, but I’m not all that excited about it. lol

7 Likes

Triple Sunshine (A) x SSDD. Same untested male as used in the F2s that you have. I’m most curious about those to see if any of phenos resemble the mom. The female that @middleman posted looked really good to me but would be really cool to see a few more of them.

That’s cool about the BT, a lot of people seem to really love that cross! I wasn’t a huge fan of most of the SL crosses that I’ve grown and have a few issues with goji, but there are some really awesome uplifting effects in those lines as well.

11 Likes

Yeah I haven’t been the biggest fan of the snow lotus crosses either. Some have been good, others have been meh. Heaven mountain is gogi x Appalachia. The gogi obviously still has snow lotus in it.

And yes, the uplifting high was what I wasn’t the biggest fan of. Just wasn’t for me but I haven’t smoked pure gogi. Just the Heaven mountain, and only a small amount of it. So I don’t have very much experience with gogi.

I thought you grew out the black triangle. That’s why I mentioned it. Maybe I was thinking of the triangke kush in the triple sunshine?

Well, if you want any black triangle f2’s or cuts, you already know you will be welcome to them! :grin:

6 Likes

Very interesting! Just goes to show we’re all chasing different things.

I grew out a whole pack of Black Triangle, 2 females of Golden HP (Golden Triangle x 88g13hp) and the Triple Sunshine. Most people seem to really love the BT and find it quite potent (not saying I don’t find it potent). To me none of the phenos that I saw stood out as that special or noteworthy. I never regretted culling the moms that I had in other words.

I still have 2 packs of BT to go through eventually but at the moment TS is hands down my favorite of them all. Even the TS that I didn’t keep I liked more than the others. They weren’t bad or anything like that though and I’d like to revisit both of them eventually. I’m very excited to see what Triple Sunshine G is like and eventually F too. F appears to have more ssdd-like vegetative growth.

13 Likes

Technically depends on the RO system and specifically how good the RO membrane is. When you get into the RO membranes that do nanofiltration, even heavy metals are removed. But those are prohibitively expensive for home use.

An RO filter followed by a deionizing stage can drop water the rest of the way down to 0ppm. Does that mean it’s equivalent to distilled? No, but it’s pretty darn close and is generally sufficient to prevent the shit that settles from an ultrasonic mist humidifier.

8 Likes

Third confirmed female SSDD f2. So that’s 3 of 4 so far.

She’s the smallest of the 4.

Here’s females number 1 and 2:

#1 is a beast! Fastest growing of the four.

And here’s the fourth, which I suspect is a male:

It has a nice strong smell when I rub the stem. We’ll see how it continues to grow but I may use it to make some seeds.

15 Likes

Interesting that most of the leaves are on the narrow side. I think the male used to make the F2 had wider leaves. That’s about all the help I can be on that front haha. They do look healthy though.

I’ll do a mini photo dump too. Dusted the small TK & bubba tonight with the TS pollen mix using a brush (RIP bee). Every night I take 2-3 plants out of the area and do a little dusting. Last night it was 2x TSA and 1x TSG.

Bubba

tk

TK in the tent

Lav Jack

Pinesoul

Triple Sunshine G

This one looks like it has pretty similar leaves to the TK in the tent, only it has more visible frost on the leaves. Hard to tell from this angle and doesn’t mean anything, it’s just the main difference at the moment. I think it sort of resembles TSA’s early buds as well but more will be revealed in the coming weeks.

20 Likes

Hm, okay, I’ll have to look into that, not sure I’ve heard of that before, but it sounds good haha. The water thing here is becoming a real… I don’t wanna say “issue,” but it does seem like I’m constantly thinking about it haha, always having to make sure I have a bunch ready to go etc, both for the plants and the humidifiers.

Plants look good, @syzygy and @TeddyNuggets! Haha.

9 Likes

Thanks @minitiger your plants look good too! HaHa. I actually do like the look of that 3kings x SL plant you have going.

My attempt to be at least a little bit more helpful on the SSDD F2 front - here are some pictures pulled from my other thread of the mom & dad that made the F2s.

Male
ssddMale

Male surrounded by 4 of the bubbashine pheno cuttings

Mother

Mother seeded

Triple Sunshine A seeded by that ssdd male

Hopefully this helps.

26 Likes