- syzygy's journal - the clown show

That guy The Rev from Skunk was a big fan of Malawi and he always said that it tends to start flowering much earlier than other things, so even though people would think it’s a quick finisher, it actually just finishes earlier because it starts earlier.

He was talking about outdoors, though, so… haha.

That’s good to know. I reeeeallllyyyy don’t like introspective weed, I’m too in my head all the time as it is. I’m definitely gonna plant some of those seeds from Doc relatively soon, though. Maybe the Dragon Energy portion of the cross will dumb the high down a little bit haha…

9 Likes

All six Triple Sunshine x SSDD are doing good under the t5s.

20 Likes

Here’s the SSDD f1, coming along nicely.

If it happens to be female I might keep it as a mother plant, take clones and flower those out. We’ll see.
If it’s a male it will be used to make seeds no matter what.

Here’s the SSDD f2 male from your seeds. I figure I’ll at least collect some pollen from him.

I’ll get pics of the SSDD f2 females when I move them into flower this coming week.

16 Likes

I have a pack of Ace’s Lebanese I can send you if you would like.

3 Likes

Hope it’s a female and worthwhile!

Thanks for posting them here, looking good!

Same. I was considering germinating some Lemon Thai (F5?) from DocD but the few reports I saw didn’t seem that interesting and saw quite a few reports of fasciation. Rather take my chance with Vanilluna mutants.

Very generous offer, appreciate it. Not going to be taking any seeds in from anyone unless I’m willing to germinate them within a few months and there’s no way I’d get to them before next winter. Clones, Trip Sun F2 / Baba Kush F2s , and the Vanilluna stuff is going to have me busy for a while. Mostly just daydreaming about other stuff that I’d order to have in reserve, but thanks again for the offer!

16 Likes

Well they are here if you change your mind. It’s only a 5 pack, but I guarantee I won’t get to them anytime soon.

3 Likes

Given that you have GT & Zamaldelica listed as fav strains you’d probably be a good person to ask - what did you make of them? Trippy as people on icmag say?

Also I did a light feed of fish hydrolysate on the C91 , TK , and some of the seeded stuff.

Pictures while I was pulling out plants from the seeded / pollinated area. Some don’t feel very seeded so I may have to do this again in the summer - maybe I just pollinated too early and should have waited a bit longer. We’ll see come harvest time.

Triple Sunshine A (lower) , TK (top) , Triple Sunshine G (lower)

Triple Sunshine A (lower) , TK (top)

Seeded Trip Sun A

Seeded Trip Sun A - 1 pint or less container

Seeded Trip Sun G

Unseeded Trip Sun G tent shots - looking pretty frosty

Lav Jack shots because it’s becoming more purple and is pretty attractive in person. Smells somewhat similar to the sativa lav jack but definitely different. A bit more offensive.

28 Likes

What are the main smells on your lav Jack? My squat pheno smells like candy, orange & sprite syrup. Much louder than the other 3

9 Likes

This response is based on observations up until ~ day 45 flower. Smells can still change :

I’ll be interested to hear what others holding the cut describe her as but to me candy and orange I could see a bit on this one. Maybe nail polish remover / acetone as well a bit. That carrot-like smell is there too in the background. To me it doesn’t smell as strong as the sativa lav jack did and looks like a hybrid of my purple pheno & the sativa one. It is a high odor plant in my books though. To my senses the smell is “bright” “sharp” and “fruity”, but I don’t know if those descriptions are nonsensical. There is a passive offensive odor that I think I’m getting off that plant when I’m around it and it’s not disturbed, but that’s possibly coming from a surrounding plant.

I think it’s probably a superior plant to the 3 Lav Jacks that I found. Very easy to grow plant that doesn’t ever look stressed out in the tent. It’s frosty for sure but it doesn’t seem out of the ordinary for Wookie crosses. Plenty of SunRas and my Space Monkey keeper were easily as frosty. I think my GF F2 was frostier as well and probably more photogenic. The combination of traits is really nice on this plant as well, because while my GF F2 was similarly photogenic, it didn’t smell nearly as good as this lav jack does. So when viewed as a whole I think it’s a really nice selection.

It’s a very nice plant just to reiterate, I just want to avoid hyperbole and document how the plant grows as I experience it. I do believe you have a good chance of finding an equally high quality plant in your Lav Jack seeds, and perhaps more unique. As always, environmental factors can result in different results and ymmv. I am grateful that this plant was shared with me and I plan to keep it around for at least a few more cycles and continue to spread her around locally.

Hope that helps!

16 Likes

Yeah this one is also the only one who seems to take everything in stride, and just looks perfectly healthy no matter what. Definitely a trait I like lol.

As long as the effects are similar to the one I’m currently smoking on I’ll be totally happy. Definitely a new favorite of mine.

9 Likes

Hey @syzygy do you use grow tents? If so, what size?

I’ve never used grow tents before. I’ve been thinking of picking up a couple to have a better space to do seed making projects. I found a 5’ L x 2’8” W tent and I’m debating if it would be big enough to do an open pollination with a pack of seeds if I used smaller pots (2-3 gallon). I figure it’s pretty close in square footage to a 4x4 and the smaller width would fit my space better and allow me to eventually add a 2nd 5x2.8’ tent.

3 Likes

Yeah I have a flower tent @ 3x3 which is probably closer to 35"x35" or 34.5 x 34.5. I also have Veg/Mother tents that I use for vegetable starts as well. They are 30"x18"x36" which is a good size for me because they fit on those home depot wire shelving units and can stack them 2 high that way. The area I flower in doesn’t need light-proofing so that isn’t anything I ever have to consider with tent quality. I used to have plywood boards that I had glued mylar to way back for reflectivity, and then switched to the white pandafilm after that. Even with less space in my 3x3 tent I can’t see myself going back. The pole frame and water proof (resistant?) mylar is enough to keep me using them for the foreseeable future.

There are many benefits that come with tents, so I’d say you should probably give them a try. They are very lightweight and easy to move if you have to as well. Only question about that irregular size is if you have a light that could provide coverage for it. Seems like most lights are designed to be run in 4x4s because that’s the most popular size, so if you can solve that then seems like it’s a good idea.

Triple Sunshine A bud

15 Likes

How many are you able to flower out at one time in a 3x3? (when you use the smaller pots)

And yes, I have a couple lights laying around that would light a 5x2.8 nicely. Plus, they would also fit my 4ft 8 bulb fluorescent fixtures pretty well if I ever wanted to use those in the tents.

For a 4x4 I’d have to buy a light. I could use the one AC infinity LED I linked above but I’d need another for the other half of the tent. Where as with the 5x2.8 I could get away with the AC infinity + another 150w led I have (for now anyway).

I wouldn’t be doing any sensi flower in the tent(s), so lighting doesn’t have to be perfect. I would probably do smaller females in 1-2 gal. pots (3 gal. at most) and open pollinate with the males, or selectively breed with certain males (etc).

I want to start making more seeds to be able to pass out here. I also want to make f2’s of those couple older packs from bodhi people here on OG asked me to ans this would allow me to do it sooner.

7 Likes

It depends on the pot size.

I think I was able to get 36 of the typical .4 GAL square nursery pots that fit in a tray of 8. 6 Rows of 6 on those pots. Maybe I did 5 rows of 6 to make room for the drainage trays…

The 1 GAL square pots realistically I think 12-16 would work OK. I think I prefer 9-12 just to avoid congested conditions.

3 GAL pots I can fit 9 of them in the 3x3 tent.

I am using a Quantum board style light in another area to make seeds in (not a tent) and we’ll see how the finished seeds come out on that. For small buds it works fine though. The nice thing about tents for something like what you’re planning is that it’s very easy to wash them down to deactivate the lingering pollen when you’re done.

19 Likes

Here’s a couple shots of some GT’s from last spring. They are great weed, but I wouldn’t call them trippy. I have smoked some mind melting Zamadelica, but again I wouldn’t call it trippy. I have some Purple Zamal A5 going now that is supposed to have a trippy potential, I’ll let you know.

25 Likes

Change of plans. I can’t get the 5x2.8. At 80” high it’s too tall for the area I want to use it. I can go a max of about 75”.

So now I’m looking at 2x4’s or maybe a 4x3. Found this 4x3 “2 in 1” tent that I was thinking of ordering.

Cool thing is that you can use it without the inner wall that separates the two chambers. Like this:

On an unrelated note - hey @syzygy i saw you use the grove bags. What do you think of them? I was thinking of giving them a try for my next harvest.

8 Likes

I like how light they are. They collapse down and take up hardly any space compared to jars. For me they aren’t as airtight as jars and do lose moisture over time if the outside air is really dry like it is here in the winter. I had some of those mini hygrometers in the bags and noticed when my dehumidifier was running the reading inside of the bag would drop by 10% or so. For me the pros outweigh any cons and will continue using them but if you aren’t sure you could always just order a few 1oz bags to try them out. I’m assuming heat sealing and refrigerating or freezing is probably the best use of them but I don’t do that.

7 Likes

Thanks! Yeah the appeal for me would be not having to burp a bunch of jars every day.

I thought about making one of those auto-burping bucket systems I’ve seen, but this seemed easier.

I think I’ll order a pack of the 1 Oz bags like you recommended and try them with a couple oz’s next harvest. Low humidity is also an issue for me in the winter. Hopefully it won’t get too dried out. I’ll put a hygrometer in the bag to keep an eye on it, thanks for the info!

3 Likes

Awesome pictures, thanks for posting them here!

Yeah, it’s worth a try for sure. I always was annoyed throughout the years how much space mason jars have taken up from the various hobbies, so it’s nice to be able to cut down a bit on them.

Here we are on week 7 - day 49

Lav jack is smelling & looking very nice. Still reminds me a lot of a combo of my “sativa” and purple lav jack from last summer. Kind of makes me want to pop more lav jack seeds at some point, but this cut will hold me over for a while.

Here is the Purple pheno from last year of Lav Jack

here’s a reminder shot of the Sativa lav jack

Here’s the NN cut - currently day 49

Here’s the Pinesoul - day 49

Triangle Kush - day 49

Triple Sunshine G - day 49

Chem 91 - day 49

28 Likes

Turning dark purple right on cue… I’ve been smoking on some that I chopped at day 60, and it tastes stellar… the high is slightly more UP feeling, but not that different than the stuff I chopped at day 65. I like grinding some up and leaving it on my desk just to smell it, haha!

How long are you gonna let this one go? Funny seeing those curled down leaf tips… All of my Pinesoul S1’s and crosses are presenting that trait in one way or another.

Looking really frosty, how would you compare it to F and A?

Definitely gonna swell up some more, lots of white hairs too…

Everything looking on track to me! Any early favorites?

9 Likes