Tales from the Terpship

also can always add another driver and strips to your already built array too, as i do agree that 25-28k seems low guess depends on how it yields for you, i know im in the 30-40+k range myself right now in my little spaces with still 5 weeks of growing to go so will be interesting

2 Likes

Yeah TBH I don’t see much change versus old posts from inside the tent and the Mars Hydro so far so I will let it ride, run them low to the canopy for this run, see what if anything needs to change.

3 Likes

Nearly Weekly Weedly Update:

Things are moving along slowly but surely, still stretching. Girls are all stacking, tiny lil preflowers on board everyone in the flower chamber. Been running the array rather close and crisping some tops while flopping them and others daily. I have one Lemon Sour Diesel that hates the flopping, broke another top of her today trying to keep her out of the light :man_facepalming: she is a fragile little lass, likely kill her clones unless the smoke is amazing; looking for hardy not delicate/finicky and otherwise grumpy plants.

I decided that with my plant count rather high and no real room to finish everything I have going I needed some strategy to keep things manageable. I up-potted my 9 seedlings that are a month and a half since being popped now finally today. They spent the entire time in the nursery rack under a humidity dome, restricted to 4’ pots and recently topped. I am hoping to stall these guys out in the Auto Rack for another month along with the 2-month-old bonsais that currently reside in the Auto Rack, the 4 strongest seedlings along with hopefully all 5 bonsais will head into the veg tent 2 weeks before the current run gets cropped. As soon as I axe the 9 in flower currently they will be immediately replaced by the Bonsai/ Ancient Seedling crew and thrown into flower. If this all goes as planned I will have 5 seedlings and 8 clones more than ready to go that will also stall in the Auto Rack until the time is right while humbly learning my lesson about popping backups/more than I need in the next month or so.

Thanks for stopping in!

5 Likes

Wowza!!:star_struck::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: looking good!!

1 Like

Terpship transmissions for this week :flying_saucer:

Life has kept me on my toes this past week and sadly out of the garden. Outside temperatures have been dipping down quite a bit over the past few weeks, likely not helping the terpship’s nighttime temps likely further compounding their want to stretch. The combination of the stretch and neglect has meant some more burns from plants bouncing off the strips, my bad. Life goes on, only a month or so left and only a few more feet that the lights will be able to come up so we shall see, might scog yet. I am letting the dry pack increase as we are around the 4th week of flower, by shutting flow to the auto pots for a few days the trays and medium dry nearly completely and plants will start to show it. It’s like a kick in the hind bits for the plant, certainly helps with flower production in our setup as the soil in the system is capillary watered meaning it is carrying as much water as the substrate can carry at any time which isn’t really wet or dry - the plants hate it :rofl:

Everything in the vertical and in 1gal fabric got a very light feed @ .3 EC Canna Vega and Rhizo just to stave off death, some of these puppies have been starved of pretty much everything in order to slow them down and it shows. The transition from humidity dome for the first month+ of the seedling’s lives to no dome was rather rough on foliage that was in contact with the dome for some of them, again my bad. So some of them got bad haircuts while I contemplate their futures might take some more drastic measures tmr if I can duck work lol.

Really looking forward to spending some serious attention on these creatures very soon some wrangling, some recovery but until then thanks for stopping in!

Edit: Wrote 8th week of flower instead of 4th LoL

8 Likes

Another near-weekly Terpship update :flying_saucer:

Another week or so has past and I still have been neglecting these beauties for the most part. They got a light feeding the other day as I noticed a few of them starting to lighten up a touch more than I would like. Today marks the end of 4 weeks(30 days) since the flip, coming into that explosive growth part of the cycle :crossed_fingers:. Outside temps have been low and since the tent is dormant for the moment, that end of the space continues to be a few degrees colder at night than anywhere else in the space. This has led to the 3 plants on that end of the space still stretching… Mains are now well above the strips but since everything else is basically done stretching the lights will catch up soon.

In the vertical things are slow but surprisingly still viable. The ones in the fabric pots with handles were popped on Sep 20 so they are approaching 3 months old of pure torture. The ones without handle in black pots were popped Oct 19 and again were neglected, kept in domes too long, and set aside to stall while I make room in the flower chamber. I will be taking the strongest 9 from the vertical and placing them in the tent in the next few weeks for a fast changeover in flower when this current run gets the axe.

Only 7 clones remain some lost due to not taking others culled but this gives me a copy of each of the top performers so far to run at will or mother - still undecided waaaay too many plants on the go for our tiny op.

Plans for the next little while; get my Inkbird sensors mounted and calibrated (I have the sitting in various positions around the lab but no calibration or secured/fixed position so the data hasn’t been particularly consistent whereas I don’t think there is as much variance as I am seeing in the data but only time will tell), Still building and testing systems for my auto projects and still waiting on genetics to arrive for that. Aside from that, I am looking forward to having the time to tend to my plants and catch up on some much needed R&R here over the next couple of weeks. You will also see me around on the forums likely a touch more as time permits as well so be sure to stop by or say hi!

Thanks for stopping today friends, look forward to seeing what you’ve got cooking tonight!

6 Likes

TerpShip Updates:

Things are still rolling along in the flower chamber, some are closing nodes others not far behind. Started noticing some early fade on 3 of the more aggressively growing plants a few days back, they really want feed but I had been holding out to try some Tea. So I started brewing about 48 hours ago and they got that at .7 EC today (6 out of 9 plants as the three on the cold side of the space are still dark green and pushing hard even through the lights!). Everyone is still fattening up but it is a touch slower than the last run so far throughout the flowering period with this run.

All of the seedlings in the vertical are happy with their new digs now. Older, previously bound seedlings are hanging on but not sure for how much longer, they need feed badly but their roots are taking up much of the available area in the pot so watering and feedings are needed more frequently, need to make a decision with these pups soon.

Today I mixed up 175L of so of soil and filled up 7-9 pots destined for the veg tent in a few weeks to allow them time to bake. Found some interesting-looking Eggs or mycelium (?!) in the bottom of a sealed bag of super soil, removed it and the surrounding soil before it got mixed but I have no idea what that is. As an added precaution I placed a layer of fresh diatomaceous earth over each pot and set some fresh sticky traps in case these were in fact some sort of creature’s spawn.

But that’ all the excitement for today, I will let everyone know how the tea goes with updates as well as a recipe if it does good things for those that are interested.

All always friends, Thanks for stopping in today!

8 Likes

@TerpSneeze man did i ever miss alot in this thread. Love the room build and monitoring camera. Congratulations on your papers and also for growing some sweet looking plants. Keep up the good work fella.

2 Likes

That shot of them growing through the lights, ‘healthy as trouts’ blew my mind! :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I like the pics of the tops growing up through the lights. It’s kinda like "meh whatever y’all wanna do":sunglasses:

3 Likes

TerpShip Updates:

Things are still keeping on, down to just over a few weeks left as far as an 8 week flower period that most of these gals are supposed to be. That being said I had a few that are faded completely here in week 6, and others that look like they have another 3 weeks to go. I fed 6 out of 9 plants the Nutrient Tea I had brewed up and a few of the less faded plants showed some N curl but other than that was dirt cheap and seemed to hold them off.

As far as the breeders are concerned Jan 7th is chop day so I was letting them run down the nutrients but I may take 2 a touch earlier and a few a bit later as things look right now. This would mean any that I plan on keeping around for the full term will likely get feed and left until chop with just RO.

I have been chatting with the LED Maestro @Mr.Sparkle over this cycle about the expected output of this build and we had both agreed that we may have underbuilt the light for my intended use and space resulting in roughly 22.5w/sq ft currently. So I bit the bullet today and purchased some additional strips and another driver to beef up the output of the current flowering array. I will take the gen 1 array down, reduce the frame size and load it up with more strips and more juice for the next round. It’s not like they didn’t produce but considering that 22.5w/sq ft and 28-30K lux is generally on the low side of things and my environmental conditions, soil and feed regimes worked rather well with the Mars Hydro TS3000 in half the area, this is the first adjustment to make.

So I decided 10 Bridgelux EB3 Thrive @ 3000k and a Meanwell HLG 340-42AB to beef things up a bit and put more red into the mix as unlike my TS3000 the 4000k strips I am using have very little in the way of red spectrum, which also may be making my lights not as efficient as they could be.

Edit: You may also notice that my de humidifier grow 2 ft, I made a simple expanded res for the direct to drain function on this little unit by drilling a hole in a Sterilite 7.5qt rigid tote, cutting a short length of garden hose and running said hose from the unit into the tote. This expanded my running window from 12 hours to 66 hours until it automatically stops from being full. This is the main input as far as manpower is concerned in our system during flower is emptying the dehumidifier so it meant someone had to drain it every 12 hours so the expanded tote-res was aptly named “The Vacation Machine” by @terpwee-z as it allows us to get away for a few nights without worry in conjunction with the cameras and inkbird sensors throughout.

Anyways other than that, all is well, I hope you all had great holidays and look forward to hearing and seeing what you are all up to! Thanks for stopping in!

Edit: Bridgelux EB3 Thrive was the lights I meant to say

7 Likes

… when did you decide to go with the slims that wasn’t mentioned just note though they are a bit different length wise and a little different on voltage though your driver should be fine and im not sure how they will handle heat wise being half the width im sure they should be fine at nominal though, your now probably gonna have to support them more with them being so thin, if not too late i still recommend the gen 2 normal’s or gens 3 if buying in packs of 20 off futureelectronics as there a bit more than half the price of the slims per strip.

also believe you have the 3500k strips already, not the 4000k but maybe im wrong, part code reads as follows BXEB-L1120Z-35E4000-C-B3 the bolded section denotes the color temp not that 4000 beside it.

2 Likes

yeah anyways doesn’t truly matter though, just was scratching my head is all

Opps I keep calling these things the wrong names… I noticed that they were coming out at 1190mm as opposed to the 1120 mm EB2s I am running so I made the switch to thrive 3000k at 1120mm, as I don’t currently need 20 strips. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And apparently I do actually have the 4000k ones, I checked the link in my invoice and it was the same as the link I ordered and it was the 4000k as linked when I ordered from in the DIY thread :tipping_hand_man:

Actually, you are right after double-checking I do have 3500k lights currently :man_facepalming: stilll needing to catch up on 7 months of lost sleep. I apologize, I need to slow my roll

2 Likes

TerpShip Updates:

Well I had some stark realizations lastnight; one of my plants (Training Day) is not feeding or drinking, and 1 of 2 pot of golds seems to have a developmental flaw in all of it’s budsites (Pot of Gold). Got up early and chopped these two plants.

Training Day was hung whole and will be dried and will be cured.

Pot of Gold #1 was wet trimmed to remove a bruised and composting preflower on every node in the plant :man_facepalming:

No signs of this on her sister or any other plant except for a loose lower or two on my Sour Diesel which was promptly removed and given the same treatment - I literally tore apart every bud on the plant, removed 2 small browning preflowers and set them on mesh drying screens - they will be under vacuum and in the freezer tomorrow… Not my preferred way to deal with my flower but I will happily turn this mishap into live rosin as it has a really nice profile, frosty and dense but the yield is very light I am only expecting an ounce dried from the pot of gold.

Cali Kush also looks very close, pistils are receding still no sign of amber in the trichomes but growth has slowed, density is unlike anything we have grown in the space, frosty a clear winner in this 9, super thankful I have 2 rooted clones of her play with. I may take her soon, can’t wait to get her in the press :drooling_face:

Other than that cloned Cali Kush’s sister in the vertical out of sympathy, she is not particularly happy in the vertical, thinking about culling some plants to keep my plant count reasonable heading into some auto projects I have coming up as well as my usual 9 flowering at any time. While doing so I noticed several plants showing sex under 18/6 period in the vertical. This is interesting as the older seedlings(3-month-old seedlings) are not :thinking: Ethierway they are showing me that they are ready for the big show and I couldn’t be happier!

Anyway, happy new year friends, I know 2020 was a tough one for many of us but I hope that we shall not repeat but merely continue to change, as we should, only for the better. All the best to you and yours in 2021, we all deserve it!

7 Likes

TerpShip Updates: The Chop Fest continues…

3 more down today; Took Cali Kush, Lemon Sour Diesel and 1 of 2 of my Dosido casue I was rough with her fumbling around in the dark this morning :man_facepalming: All good, I really need to move the last few lasses out and get on some updates to the space.

Pot O Gold has now been hanging for nearly a week, I reduced here and got her under vacuum at room temp, sitting at about 70% RH atm.

Not the best pics but here is Cali Kush with some charcoal on her sugar leaves - had to change a filter mid flower. Expecting between 2-3ozs dry from her, super dense, frosty and early to finish. She has a very sweet kushy vibe to her - more candy than kush/gas. As the smell develops in your nose you start to get lighter sandalwood and earthy tones. Overall very sweet, with a touch of gas.

Lemon Sour Diesel. Very bright floral/citrus notes almost perfume-like. None of the expected fuel/diesel smell from her. Decent yielder, dense nugs, I would be shocked if I ended up with less than 2 ozs dried from her.

Dosi do 33. Love this plant, was trooper, perfect structure, dense thoroughly frosted nugs - our frost winner for this run. This pheno expressed an interesting profile nearly like someone made a pine-scented cleaning product with diesel; diesel-sol?! Tough to describe, definitely some of that typical rubber/fuel that I have had with Dosi in the past but more pine backing it. She will also hover around 2ozs dry, very dense sugary little rocks, going to get an army of cuts going from her clones. Her sister had much less of the traditional Dosi Gas vibe a more citrus and kush type profile.

Other than that assembling some components for finalizing my hatch to the space that needs to be in place before the pollen starts to fly with the auto projects. I have received some additional strips, a driver and some replacement strips for my array to hopefully allow us to run the lights further away from the plants next round.

I also noticed through reviewing my calendar that I had missed 2 very key feedings with all of these guys when I was in the height work-induced madness which combined with lower than w/sq ft running through the lights (as I under built my light a bit for my needs) had some pronounced impact on yields. So for now the plan is to get these gals out and hung so I can add some more juice to the lights, enclose the hatch with filtration and booster fan and pop some auto beans in the new breeders finally :raised_hands:

Thanks for stopping in friends!

10 Likes

TerpShip Updates: The Chop Fest continues…

Another 4 down today; Dosido 33 (B), Pot O Gold (B), LSD (A) and LSD (B). They will hang anywhere from 5-7 days in insitu starring down their fate at the pressing station.

Everyone else except CaliKush is fully binned, under vacuum, and in cure mode via rigid Food Saver containers and micro-hygrometers onboard reading 70-65% across many bins.

It has been a busy few days around the Terpship. As I have a fully experimental pollen mitigation system attached to my breeding tents in my lung room it was time to take appropriate measures with the Terpship’s hatch before I start chucking pollen. The original hatch/door had huge gaps, didn’t close well but worked, sort of. It was waaay before our time here and time for it to go lol.

Notice the 2-inch gap along the hinge side, I thought it was sloppy hinges but after having no luck with several adjustments I realized that the door jam for the hatch was never square, plumb, true or consistent in any way other than poorly executed, so I had to get to it or face the seed-filled consequences.

I ended up back framing the opening and hastily crafting a solution. I used 1/2" birch ply, 1x4" spruce, and an exterior skin of 1/4’ Birch ply. There are three 4" holes in the face of the door, these ports butt up to a sealed box containing two layers of hydrostatic pollen prefilter, a 10X20" MERV 8 filter, and an AC Infinity T7 AirTitan. I used embedded 1/4" bolts, turn knobs, and silver-tape to mount the rear panel giving me the ability to quickly swap out the filters at any time. I mounted 3 out of 4 AC Infinity controllers for the Terpship directly to the inside of the hatch. It’s mostly hideous but the combination of “premium rubber” weather stripping and temporary silver-tape, she’s light and other than through the filter she’s airtight. When I don’t have plants hanging in the space I will fill and caulk any remaining gaps permanently, and remount the trim.

For those of you with a keen eye, yes that is my v1 Gen2 Bridgelux Array out of the space and on the floor in the last shot. Hopefully, over the next few days, I will be retrofitting the array with 10 new strips and 340w of more power. This will end up being more in line with what was discussed when I first built the array but for whatever reason, I decided to not include 8 additional strips and a fourth 240 XLG driver. Hoping that with a total of 34 strips and roughly 1060w of power that I can light the space and run the lights high enough not to army crawl through the space for the first few weeks of flower.

I took 9 plants out of the rack and moved them into the tent while I do upgrades. 3 Blueberry Bubblegum #2 from G13 Labs, 3 Glookies from Barney’s, 1 Black Domina x Afgan from Wold of Seeds, and 2 clones from the last run: Dosido 33 (1) the XXX Gasssy Pheno and Cali Kush.

This also meant taking 18 clones in case of something interesting pops up including the 2 BDxAKs I left behind in the rack for the time being, Once their clones root I will likely throw them in the flower chamber in their 1 gal fabrics and see how they roll.

I am never buying small Rockwool for cloning ever again, I’m converted to Ez Plugs for life! I went from 60-80% viable clones to 100% overnight without changing anything but my substrate- never again Rockwool. Below are fully rooted clones that I cut from tortured plant less than a week ago up potted to soil today.

Sorry for the long long one but many changes afoot this week.

Thanks for stopping in and following along as usual friends. More scent, smoke, and yield notes to come from the latest run yet, stay tuned !!!

8 Likes

EZ plugs are a new one on me, where did you score them?

Cheers
G

1 Like