Tales from the Terpship

Great thread man, I enjoyed reading every bit. So much knowledge and good practices and inspiring DIY. I’ll try to follow along from now on!

1 Like

Glad to have you along @Orloff, stop by anytime :wink:

2 Likes

TerpShip Updates

I was let out of trim jail on good behavior after only a few hours of intensive trim…

Yield is as expected, gauging by the amount in the bins I would guess 18-20ozs which is nothing to complain about however I know I can do much better with 9 plants. Most are still in between 70-64% RH, under vacuum in rigid food savers for now I will continue to burp daily and get things down to a dry humidity before I do any final weigh-ins. I will be a touch more aggressive with feeding likely 4-6% recommended bioCanna schedule feed on top of my soil amendments via foliar this round as well as an additional 10-12 W per sq/ft in the flower chamber from this beasty below.

V2 of my Bridgelux array (reduced the footprint 6", added 10 Gen 3 strips 3000K strips and another 320 W Meanwell driver) has been tested and hung, the stress test will begin tmr to see if my electrics in the house can handle all that I am about to throw at it. She is drawing 1080 W at the wall total now and still covering a 4X8’ area so to hoping for good things but as you can see there is room on the array for more strips and who knows might go that way down the road. Tmr I will crank everything to 11 and hope for the breaker can hold: 2 breeding tents @ ~170 w each plus 7w for their shared T4 and 2x 200mm Noctua fans, 4x4 veg tent with T4, ts3000 (480w draw), dehumidifier, seed fridge, 1200w vertical farm, 1200w rosin press 3 additional t4s, a t8, a t7 Airtitan, heat mats, a few more 5w fans (8) a few flow pumps (3), and the new array @1084w all on a 15 amp breaker… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :crossed_fingers:

Seedlings and clones in the veg tent did not show any transplant shock which is typical since moving to sprinkling high K biochar (Growtek Back Pear) directly onto my roots as I up pot, the high K seems to nip any drooping/slowing down when up potted, I will continue to run test but for a sample have been pretty happy thus far. That being said it is a big jump from the rack (29C 70RH pretty consistent 24/7 thus heat mats and circulation fans) to the veg tent where although it is insulated is surrounded by 3 exterior walls, some wood and some insulation, and on concrete over earth floors. Flower chamber/veg tent temps can dip down to 16C overnight when outside temperatures hover around 6-8C as they have for most of this cycle.

Things are otherwise well, happy to be over the hump with retrofits and builds, looking forward to getting back to extracting all these lovely specimens and sharing all the lessons learned, getting these ladies into the flower chamber, and getting the auto breeding project started!!

Thanks again for stopping in friends :pray:

9 Likes

Congrats on a great harvest, at least you completed your trimming sentence and can relax now. I see you got those fancy Japanese trimming scissors, I am looking into trying a pair after good old Fiskars gave me years of service.

P.S. you guys over the pond are so lucky being able to purchase AC Infinity. It’s perhaps the one piece of equipment that I envy you for. Getting a similar level of performance and control costs so much in Europe :roll_eyes:.

Anyway, looking forward to your next projects. Up up and beyond :laughing:!

2 Likes

TerpShip Updates F. Day 2

The ladies have had a nice vacation in the tent bulking up, getting used to and a bit weird within the unbaked soil but last night their 18 hours of joy a day was cut short to 12 hours. This short cycle allowed the girls to have a 6 hour rest and get onto an opposing cycle through the night.

So I moved the 9 out into the flower chamber and gave 3 Blueberry Gum #2s a fairly aggressive trim to open them up a bit. I will do the same with the rest over the next few days.

And some you might be thinking damn the spectrum on your new array is so photogenic when in fact the combination of 3500k EB2s and 3000k EB3s has brought it closer to an HPS color so I went and bought some PPE, and taking the pictures through the new glasses just for giggles.

Other than that not much to report, I will keep you all posted though! :sweat_smile:

Thanks again for stopping in friends!

7 Likes

TerpShip Updates F. Day 6

The TerpShip is basically on autopilot now, I have moved the cycle to run through the night which I am still seeing some lower than ideal night temps (during the day temps) however this is the coldest time of the year and comparing the data from the last cycle, if the current outside temps were present, my temp swings would have been much more extreme, so this was the right move to make. From lights out to lights on I am seeing a 5 degree C swing in the chamber whereas during the same period outside temps and swinging 10+ degrees which affects my lung room temps (old house, lab is in the not so well insulated basement) is currently seeing swings of 6-8 degrees.

I did do a decent de foil on all except one Glookies, her structure was so nice that I want to see what she wants to do. I will keep working them slowly each day now for the next week or so the thin them further.

This has been a nice change actually, this has resulted in very little time needed in the flower chamber daily and even if I wanted to hang out with them during the day I can’t which is mixed blessings as I do enjoy it but this has freed up time to get other things done during daylight hours. Like finally post an extraction thread! Overall all is well I hope that your gardens too are going well, Thanks again for stopping in friends!

4 Likes

LOL :laughing:

I had to pause and process what I was seeing in the 1st pic for a couple sec before I realized the dangley bits were your adjustment pots! Good one! :+1:

Your keeping an 'ol stoner on his toes LOL.

Cheers
G

1 Like

TerpShip Updates: Harvest Notes

Well friends, I spent the last couple of days working through my harvest. Everything is in the extraction window so I have been putting in work on the press. I was most of the way through today’s run when I realized that I hadn’t tallied the total yield, smoke notes or shared any pics of cured flower destined for the press.

For my records harvests worked out to be:

• Dosido 33 (1) = 2.6 oz
  • Dosido 33 (2) = 3.9 oz
  • Lemon Sour Diesel = 2.4 oz
  • L.S.D (1) = 2.3 oz
  • L.S.D (2) = 2.2 oz
  • Cali Kush = 3.1 oz
  • Pot O Gold (1) = 1.9 oz
  • Pot O Gold (2) = 2.1 oz
  • Training Day = 2.8 oz

Total yield 20.7oz or 587.7g

Considering some oversights on my behalf I am pretty happy. Not all the plants produced interesting profiles but most were very dense, frost laden and good for extraction. I have already run more than 12 ozs through the press and should be narrowing in on 3 oz of Fresh Rosin under vacuum in the fridge!

So here are some pretty crap smartphone pics of random buds from the run as I run the best first, wasn’t the star buds by any stretch but in case I run into something similar down the road here are some mugshots. Forgive my rough trim, since I pretty much extract everything, they get very quick dry trim if at all :sweat_smile:

L.S.D (1)

Is by far the most unique smelling phenos I have been exposed to recently. Pheno 1 has very complex floral, sweet and citrus scents blended with a sweet rubber smell reminiscent of candy scented erasers. The experience is very clean, mellow and very functional. Extraction wise the entire profile is present in the flower rosin, yields were 17-19% without pushing.

L.S.D (2)

Again was blown away by the polar opposites of the 2 phenos. This LSD is straight black pepper as if someone was grinding it on your face upon opening a container of this flower. The experience again was very functional, pleasant definitely day time medicine for me. Extraction wise very light clear rosin, full peppery profile punches through. Yields again were nothing to write home about at 16-19% but the profile is very unique and will be cherished.

Cali Kush

Was not only the yield champ in terms of flower but has high amounts of extractable resin caked all over it. Super dense buds, the bud shown is 9.5g and only 4"ish long and a few fingers thick. Profile wise it is very strange earthy, hops, barely smells like cannabis more sage/earthy. Interesting plant retained two sister cuts of this plant, I have a cut running again this cycle currently, and the sister cut running at my dad’s place. Rosin yields were low to mid-20s without pushing the material at all, very light/clear rosin with a touch of an orange hue.

Lemon Sour Diesel

Excellent plant, even when tortured as they all were the last run. Super bright nose, very lemon no diesel. Very dense heavy nugs, good trichome production. Extraction wise a very yellow/light rosin with average yields (21-22%), super-bright profile extends straight through to the rosin. Experience wise: TBD

Dosido 33 (1)

The gas queen. I think I described her earlier as diesel-sol. Through the cure the pine scent was overtaken by the gas and sweet almost fruit notes. LOVE this flower. Found some pretty mature seeds in her though and the density and lack of seeds elsewhere in the crop lead me to believe she threw a banana pretty early and low in the canopy. I have her clone running now, I will have to be super vigilant. Extraction wise super happy with her, the yields were good (22-24%), the profile is very clear and strong, fairly light rosin overall good extraction specimen. Experience wise I haven’t spent to much time with her yet, but will keep you posted.

Beyond this there are 2 Pots o Golds, neither produced appealing profiles, very muted, mostly grass/hay however, POG (2) was very resinous and was a very close second for extraction yield.

I also was not happy with the profile of the training day. The yield was interesting but the nose resembles kleenex or toilet paper (not that funky smell but the papery sorta detergent smell?!) Anyways, a good grower might extract well but the profile falls flat on its face.

Edit: Thanks for stopping in!!

6 Likes

Pressing the flower into rosin? Or making hash first? Let’s see some yummy oress shots. :grin:

2 Likes

You got it @ReikoX , I got the flower down to between 64-67% faster than I thought I would be able to and preserve terps so straight into the press it went. Having it be so fresh has really kept the rosins really light and clear, very potent and smells devine. I set up a lil Solventless Extraction Thread so that I could talk about extraction more in-depth but here are some shots of this harvest’s rosins! I’ll be doing some full Live Rosin Tutorials (Flower to Hash to Press), Dry and Bubble Hash Runs coming up as well as more flower rosins to come. So far I have worked my way through the 2 Dosido 33s, The Lemon Sour Diesel and the 2 x L.S.Ds. All excellent rosins so far.

The 2 color winners were:

Dosisdo 33

Lemon Sour Diesel

L.S.D -Clear profile winner and likely runner up for color.

Cali Kush

Yield wise Cali Kush and Pot O Gold were winners, still have lots of both of these left. so I will dial the recipe for both of these strains and see what they can really produce.

Thanks for stopping in bro!

9 Likes

Now that’s what I’m taking about. :yum:
I saw your solventless thread and am tracking it. :+1:

5 Likes

TerpShip Updates: F. Day 14

Well the TerpShip has the sniffles… Apparently, I was smoking far too much grass when I did my last power consumption audit and resulting stress-testing on the lab as the TerpShip along with my vertical farm, breeding tents, nursery/mother areas EVERYTHING lost power 3 hours into lights on, 2 nights ago. I was called into work the following morning, so didn’t have much time to take a look at the issue. Within 3 hours into the following cycle boom, no power.

The primary issue is that I have too much draw in the space in the overlapping period when most things are operational. My vertical farm draws 3.9 amps 18 hours a day. On the same circuit, I have recently added 2 breeders drawing 1.5 amps for 18 hours a day (only one was running the past 48 hours) then I have the flower chamber which at the max draw is doing 12-12.5 amps all on a 15 amp breaker. I’m not sure why stress testing was successful considering these figures but here I am :man_facepalming:

Spent last night moving as much as I could off the circuit by moving my seed fridge, unplugging the breeders, moving plants back into the vertical and just trying to make it through the night.

Things are back to doing their thing but the future of my auto pheno hunt is in jeopardy. I may have to move the breeders out of that space and off of that circuit to keep them both operational - like into my bathroom… I may get a sparky in to tell me how many organs I need to sell to make the electrical legit for the space and the house. The one risk is here in Canada, if he/she/they see something that isn’t up to code (everything in this house) they HAVE to fix it, at your expense of course. But to have even 20 amps would likely be fine for the space as is and would let me sleep better at night. Currently, there are 41 cannabis plants down there, none of which I am looking to lose to oversight/lack of space/resources so adapt or overcome are the only options.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods, thanks for stopping in friends

8 Likes

Thermal breakers are the most common in residential environments and they can have long delay periods (2.5 Hrs.) before tripping when the load is at maximum. I’ve even seen a situation where one breaker was heating up the breaker beside it causing nuisance trips.

What I did (this might work for you) was map out the breakers on the panel and found a lightly loaded breaker running the room beside my grow room. Now
I have a new box and duplex plug in the adjoining wall so I have two circuits to abuse. :+1:
I only load to a maximum of 10A per breaker. :four_leaf_clover: :crossed_fingers:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

TerpShip Updates: F. Day 22

Quick update. Things are doing their thing in the TerpShip without my intervention. After some much-needed R&R over the past month or so as well as getting some projects out of the way I am back to the day job which has meant these gals have mostly been on their own for the past few weeks. Merely pouring RO into the res, emptying the dehumidifier every few days,

All 3 of the Blueberry Gum#2 from G13 Labs (shown above and in the 3 right positions in the ship) are closing nodes, smells are all sweet, one is a bit hot garbage meets sweet but they are down for business. The 3 Glookies are not all that far behind however take on a much different structure, hoping for big ole donkey dong kolas like I had from her last Glookies running but not holding my breath. You can totally tell the one I haven’t messed with her structure yet, long lateral branches with extended node length and terminal bud sites all aflutter.

But otherwise, things are cruising along, I wish I had more time to spend with them but busy times again… They are still running water only, really need to feed the soil soon to stay ahead of their nutrient needs.

I alleviated the power restrictions the TerpShip was facing by moving my breeders out of the lab which has multiple benefits; more available power, much more separation from the breeding project and my sensimillia in the TerpShip so win-win.

Thanks for stopping in friends, until the next time!

8 Likes

TerpShip Updates: F. Day 30

Things are doing their thing, for the most part. Noticing that the BG#2s are a bit hungry and one had been showing it for a day or two so I thought I would intervene. I scratched in 1/4 cup of Gaia Green 2-8-4 per pot and top watered it in with RO last night. I am going to start a brew tmr night that should hopefully hold everyone off until their next feeding in a few weeks. I am also running the array at full power after having hung them and setting them to 35k lux for the canopy at flip, canopies today range from 37-42k lux, still have not raised lights * for my records

Everyone is stacking and showing their frost, with the cold temps we have been having it looks like they are a touch behind, if possible I will extend a few days to a week to compensate.

From yesterday

Otherwise back to the salt mines tmr so hoping that everyone continues to play nice. hope all is well in your garden friends, thanks again for stopping by!

9 Likes

TerpShip Updates: F. Day 38

Well friend it is with a heavy hard that I have to say that I had to axe Glookies #3 today after lights on. I saw a loose nanner, didn’t think much of it, plucked it went and washed up. After a good wash down I came back and started defoliating again when @terpwee-z notices another nanner on a lower I removed because it was larfy and low that I started to take a closer look. EVERY node had stealthy nanners projecting from them… MF!!! Some were open, some just showing so clearly this is a neglect error more than anything. I was too busy to stay up to date with defoil hence I couldn’t see into the canopy very well, and didn’t identify the intersex trait - epic fail :sweat: So long story short, don’t be a TerpSneeze and let your plants get full beast herm mode cause you are too lazy/busy to trim up your larf, defoil regularly in flower so you can stay intimate with your ladies!

I cut her at her stock, pulled her right out of the lab, and stuffed her, leaves stems, and all into 2 freezer bags, I will add her to an upcoming hash rosin run, stripped down, and jumped into the shower. Likely going to be fairly seeded this run…

How things look when I don’t shoot through my eye protection and after a fairly aggressive defoil to get some more light deeper into the dense canopy.

8 Likes

TerpShip Updates: F. Day 48

Things are still doing their thing in the TerpShip cruising into the final weeks for this run. Ambient temps are still quite low overnight/mornings so I am starting to see some decent purps on Glookies (2) and Dosido 33.

The blueberry gums are started to fade hard, I may take them right at or before 8 weeks, they seem to be slowing down now but should make it another 12 days. Aside from my hermed Glookies looks like despite being neglected again this run we will get more than is needed, so no complaints.

The day job has kept me tired and away from the garden but that will have to change here soon. I need to start prepping the next run ASAP as typically I would have moved clones up into 1 gal fabrics by this point or have beans popped and established with only 12 days to chop but life works in mysterious ways. I have some cuts I want to run through but I also have some interesting beans come through recently so I am very tempted to try something new but would need to give up some extra time with the flower chamber down- still not sure, will need to dig through the neglected cuts and seedlings in the cold storage…

Beyond all of this, I was informed by my landlord that he would prefer if my license was somewhere else next year, he was not so impressed with the odor coming out of the house over the past few weeks when he stopped by to drop mail etc because it was soo cold my extraction wasn’t running during the daylight hours (only at night) and it was very pungent near my entrances to the house most of the day. I set the numerous fans and controllers to run at 20% 24/7 and this seems to deal with the scent but keeping temps below where I would want them still. I am not excited about moving the system however I can only hope that I will end up in a better spot next. That being said I have 6 months to produce as much as I can while things are still set up, so going to try and make the most of it.

Hope all of you are doing great and that your plants are too, can’t wait to get caught up this weekend on the thread and in the garden!

10 Likes

double side foam tape works decent for potentiometer mounting :wink: , and crappy on the future forced move though i expect you’ll make it work and will be for the better.

1 Like

LoL I will fix that for you :+1:, I know it must drive a few folks crazy…Thanks for the kind words, here’s to hope.

1 Like

Functional steampunk Christmas ornaments :laughing: :+1:

Cheers
G

1 Like