Tales from the Terpship

Yes sir, already worked my way through everything but the glookies, I have been saving her…

In the Seedling department, I have 3x Glookies-Barney’s Farm, 3x Blueberry Gum#2-G13 Labs, and 3x BlackdominaXAfgan Kush-World of Seeds, all seem to be doing their thing so far the Black Dom cross seems to be the most vigorous/large, they should be ready for the big up pot soon.

Correct again, basically 19 AutoPot XLs in the main space. The seperate Autorack is equipped with flood to drain but that again is currently setup for capillary (bottom) style watering events

I got these at Buckerfields not sure if you guys have them out that way but I have also seen them in the Hydromart every now and again, always buy some when I see them!

3 Likes

Wow it almost breaks my heart to see all that bud extracted…so many doobs lol. You must get a shitload of killer hash though.

I’ll have to look around for those stakes, I freaking hate the spindly ones!

2 Likes

Yeah it’s tough for sure to squish all of this but I rarely smoke any doobs these days, I have been on the dabs for a few years now and no sign of going back. All told I will end up with around 3.5-4 ozs of Live Rosin from 3 plants so I am covered for my meds for a bit :smile: I am certainly going to cure some this next run as this is one aspect of my new setup that is certainly untested and unrefined so far but most of my harvests will all stay live. Too many decades of burning vegetive matter in these ole airbags, only low temps and high test from now on :innocent:

3 Likes

Mmmm 4 ozs of live resin :drooling_face: that would be something to see!

2 Likes

I am going to be putting together an extraction thread to show off some of the wears here soon, been on the back burner for a bit with life atm. Hoping for some time away from the day-job here soon, I was supposed to be off work in September but things just keep going…

4 Likes

Well friends things were getting out of hand in the tent and drastic action had to be taken, I had to call in with the sniffles and get down to work to get my time under my artificial sun :sweat_smile:

It was a big day for everyone involved. I assembled some HLG tray stands for as the supports for scrog and vscrog to allow me access to the tent as things progress. I employed cable ties and fairly typical poly structure net hastily as there simply weren’t enough hours in the day today. The stand structure is pretty functional and easy to work with, it uses 1 1/4" electrical conduit, cut to length and press together. Ladies moved into their new home in a matter of minutes(literally pick them up and move them to ready and waiting Autopot trays already plumbed in the flower chamber), turned on that wing of my irrigation manifold on and presto ready to go.

Took some LUX readings and things seemed a bit low so I checked each driver with the power meter and overdrove them about 10%. Employing some conversion factor developed specifically for my cheapo lux meter by using an industry-standard Apogee by some UK dude on the interwebs I am in the just below 600 Îźmol/m2/s at about 16" away around 25-28k LUX on various canopies. I will see how they do and adjust from there. By my calculations, I can easily overdrive each driver to 288w safety I have been told so I may choose to do that.

Otherwise, my plants in the autorack continue to seemingly in a holding pattern which is actually quite interesting, I need take some lux temp and soil samples to know for sure but I think with the quality and intensity of light in this spot currently is merely grinding their growth to a crawl. They need a feed and a drink but they are mostly just doing their thing at 1/4 the speed of their sisters planted on the same day in the flower chamber. I may try to put my seedlings in a similar holding pattern as the flowering chamber won’t be available until into the new year now.

The tent will need a clean and downtime while I figure out the best way to proceed to keep things rolling and keep @terpwee-z and myself sane. With the very little down-time and busy gardening times, I don’t want to bite off more than we can chew so to speak. Currently, the thought of vegging then flowering in the tent and the chamber as well as having my auto projects on the go seems like lunacy for someone who works the hours I do.

So after a long week and an even longer couple of months, I am proud to say the terpship v2’s inaugural flower cycle is finally underway, and in the usual fashion, I will be working around the plants to finish up scrog, preflower hair cuts/defoil and sealing the hatch over the next couple of nights as well as mixing another round of soil so that it can bake-off for a week or 2 while the seedlings take shape.

Thanks for stopping in!

8 Likes

If referring to Shane “Migro” his values were correct for him and his specific meter and that specific light setup, just consider other sources for conversions cause I believe his math may of been off in that vid which he corrected in the comments but his 0.023 conversion if you refer to say HLG’s info they state their qb288 v2’s in a 3000k or 4000k would have around a 0.0145 conversion
Just to muddle the waters…

Oh and be cautious on overdriving on the XLG’s if thats what you have, hindsight they arent as robust as say the HLG’s but can run them up into there stated wattage on the output side which would be higher from the wall.

3 Likes

Yes, you are correct, they are XLGs… I have them running at ~260w per driver (from the wall) currently… SO should I be scared? I will check output side, I guess before I head to work in 7 hours lol. I wonder how much more on the wall side brings the hotside to normal range, guess I will be finding out. Thanks for the catch sir!

I did stumble onto “migro” conversions and caught the changes in the which also gave me different results as well yet I was actually using this calculator with the high cri 4000k LED as a benchmark, averaging it against other forms of doing so, likely misguidedly.

https://www.waveformlighting.com/horticulture/convert-lux-to-ppfd-online-calculator

I guess what I was trying to figure out is are they getting enough light and if not is my configuration that is making it do so… Even at 24-28k Lux it certainly seems on the light side even at potentially overdriven rates but the plants will let me know and I will roll with the punches either way. Wish me luck!

2 Likes

91%ish from what you see from the wall to the output side of the driver.

And will agree does seem to be on the low side

2 Likes

Weekly Weedly Update

The flower chamber is cranking along, a solid 4-5" of growth on everyone in there over the past 7 days. While the Misses and I were away for a few nights we did had a few suicidal bud sites playing Icarus… I still haven’t got my scrog in place as they are just getting up to frame height now. Also now that I have confirmed all 9 as female, I will thin them out quite a bit to keep humidity down and airflow up likely take more cuts to replace those that won’t make it.

The sun-burnt victims…

They were sustaining themselves until just a few days ago on a single feeding of Canna Vega and Rhizotonic mixture @ .7 EC and nutrients in the soil I don’t remember how long ago now but it is documented above. So they got a .3 EC feed of Canna Flores and Boost mixture, no complaints from anyone now 3 days later so they will get on an ultra-light feed schedule to help them along over the next month.

4 out of 8 clones rooted and were up potted, The 9 seedlings have 6+ compact nodes each and are dying to get out of the dome. The 6 photos in the rack are still stalling but starting to struggle a bit in some cases so I will have to feed them and make some adjustments there if I wish to continue to keep them around. Actually starting to get a little overgrown here with the combination of cannabis, microgreens and veggie starts for the hoop house :sweat_smile:

Thanks for stopping in!!

7 Likes

looking great well apart from the burnt sections but wouldn’t even know if they get plucked.

Whats been your temps air and leaf out of curiosity.

2 Likes

Just getting caught up on the terpship excellent work look forward to your extract thread as well

1 Like

Air is 25-26C at the canopy Leaf is no higher than 25 C surprisingly. Finding that with my spacing of the strips that the sweet spot is 8-10 inches for lux as they get closer to the light the intensity is dropping off unless directly inline with the strips.

Edit: Pics and I did have a max of 26.3C

5 Likes

Cheers Homie! Yes I too am looking forward to getting that thread rolling here soon!

Yeah seems the same as i typically average 2 degrees C cooler on the leaves vs air temps as well, something that ive stumbled more into as of late and is a thought i’ve been pondering on is how when we talk or have discussions on temps its typically only of the environment not what the plants are experiencing, so in a situation where say one information source or grower may state there ideal temps is say an arbitrary 24c, what the plant may be experiencing would most likely be completely different when say their hang height and or lighting choice will dictate what the plants experience. As say a grow room temp of 24c if say running LED the plant leaves may be measuring 22c but say the same room same temp under HPS the plant will be experiencing hotter temps than that 24c just cause of the excess IR heat those light sources put out in comparison.

Base of it just kinda makes me question things, and our previous knowledge on stuff.

4 Likes

I totally agree, seems like lots of bro-science out there in the industry and in the hobby gardeners realms alike. I for one will start including more data points for my own reference, I have temp and humidity sensors attached to my extractors at canopy and soil height and it is easy enough to grab some leaf temps even by a picture of displays and the gun.

As to the temps being lower by a degree or two yeah it’s sorta weird stuff… definitely worth more research to see if there isn’t an issue with the way IR is being measured under white spectrum LEDs as you are right it simply counters commonsense even my understanding of physics in part. My only theory is that due to the water content in the plant it is conducting the heat more efficiently than retaining it?!? Always more to learn!

3 Likes

well actually it makes perfect sense in that active transpiration of the plant cools it, but under some sources of light what one may feel is different as led’s don’t have that IR heat component in the same capacity that HPS or the Sun does, but because of that our thoughts on ideal temps may be skewed if we aren’t taking into consideration what the plant is experiencing and comparing that like for like as best we can.

Just food for thought anyways

3 Likes

Super interesting stuff, never thought of transpiration acting as cooling or employing transpiration as a necessity for plant to cool itself in the indoor growing environment, as I said still much to learn :nerd_face: . As per the IR component that makes a lot of sense.

I guess for me having built and tested the systems to ensure that they regulate around 26-28C year-round keeps me in a good nutrient pickup range - or at least this was the development impetus. Currently having 25-28k Lux on the canopies and maintaining these temps is by no means hurting them in any way yet this too would be considered below “ideal” range in a lot of schools of thought. Any particular gain is hard to isolate down to certain factors as we tend to continue to grow cultivars that grow well for us here in our space so far. Our ideal is having things be as consistent as possible, so far the bridgelux array (that wouldn’t have been possible without your guidance, inspiration and patience it again wouldn’t be possible :pray:) is putting in the work and I for one am thankful for the experience and reaping the rewards! LED is the now and future kids.

Edit: logical sentences lol

3 Likes

also can always add another driver and strips to your already built array too, as i do agree that 25-28k seems low guess depends on how it yields for you, i know im in the 30-40+k range myself right now in my little spaces with still 5 weeks of growing to go so will be interesting

2 Likes

Yeah TBH I don’t see much change versus old posts from inside the tent and the Mars Hydro so far so I will let it ride, run them low to the canopy for this run, see what if anything needs to change.

3 Likes