Tap water changed recently!

I sort of read the thread fast, but it sounds like the water company decided to flush lines or what ever they call it. They’ll up the chlorine during those times and the smell is usually obvious. The bubbles are the chlorine gassing off of the water. Sometimes there are more bubbles but it’s just the chlorine. I use a couple of 5 gallon buckets in the summer to fill with water and let it gas off for 24 hours. Sometimes it takes a little longer. I beat the sides of the bucket to free the bubbles to rise and gas off.

The problem with chlorine in the water is that it will kill off or dull out the microbiology in the soil. So, if you use Myco and organics, that system requires chlorine free water so they microbes can make the nutes available to the roots.

You could even call the water department and ask if they flushed or cleaned the lines recently. Sometimes they’ll publish it in the paper as a PSA. peace

3 Likes

Thanks guys. Yeah, that’s a good idea to call em. My plant are fine. So far… I’m thinking I’m going to start using some type of filter like oldjoints suggested. Just to try and avoid troubles. Oh and here is the pen I really like! It gives me the ph and then I just click a button and it reads ppm. It also shows temp and ec. I haven’t figured out the ec yet tho. I’m scared to start hitting buttons and mess it up. Lol

2 Likes

My tap water is 8.1 and 260 ppm. I wish it was always 7. You are very lucky!

1 Like

The filter won’t filter out chlorine bro, what the air stones do is to help rapidly gas out the chlorine. Still takes a day or two to remove all the chlorine but for 30 gallons that’s fast. The filter though does filter out all the other contaminants. That’s why I use those large air stones and not the little ones as it speeds up the process.

2 Likes

Yeah I always let my water sit out for about a day. And 30 gallons will least 2 days for me, so I’m thinking that would be nice.

1 Like