Tent drying harvest

Hey I already have in mind how I’m going to dry my upcoming harvest but would appreciate any input folks could provide regarding drying your harvest in a grow tent. I figured I will go about it just having vents open with my exhaust fan pulling air and indirect fans circulating the air…any info would be appreciated thanks in advance

2 Likes

When I chop I whole hang in a spare tent, just cut the bigger fan leaves off and leave the rest for a week or two to slow dry…

Don’t really need a fan depending on your humidity levels… I usually just crack the tent door a bit… Using a fan could dry it out pretty quick and you’ll get that cut grass smell stuck in it… Longer it hangs, the better the flavor

6 Likes

Cool see I wass basically what I was thinking of doing except for the open tent. I was going to see what humidity I could maintain with it closed as opposed to being open. I’m just really trying not to over dry or quickly dry for obvious reasons. I’d hate to put months of work into it for bud that looks and tastes like shit you know

2 Likes

Oh for sure, and I’m not saying completely open either… Just if it feels too humid I crack it …almost like burping a jar during the cure while hanging

1 Like

…also
High temperatures are not our friend when drying or curing.
70 or under is what I strive for.

7 Likes

Correctamundo!!

3 Likes

Yeah brotha I dig. I’m a newbie as far as doing my own thing. Been around it but never done my own gig so just trying to learn as much as I can. Getting perspectives is always nice

2 Likes

Yeah copy that!! With lights off I can get it there or pretty close. In the future I might have to supplement some extra ac to bring the temp down just a bit. Right now in dark cycle I’m looking at 73ish…so in sense that’s what I would around when drying so I guess we will see. I just dont want to put all this time into it for trash you know?

2 Likes

I guess it really comes down to is trial and error see what works but input is good in this world

2 Likes

Oh I get it … I still mess it up from time to time so I’m not perfect either … You can grow the most amazing looking and smelling plant and then mess the whole profile up by drying to fast or, knock on wood it doesn’t happen, mold and it’s pretty well unsmokable… I’ve got a few jars from a few months back that dried too fast … Buds soooo dense, but burn your throat and taste like ass…

5 Likes

Man that’s a damn shame bro but yeah you get it. It’s a labor of love but I’m still not trying to smoke harsh hay lol

2 Likes

I have a tent added on to a tent I use as a dry room. Hang it after trim cuz I find it’s easier for 3 weeks at 60% humidity and I have a humidifier in there with a 4” fan on low to circulate the air and adjust the door zipper to keep it at 60%

4 Likes

Temperature and relative humidity are the keys to drying and curing. As @GramTorino said

and @MBVapester said

Personally I like 55% (ish) but that’s me.

monitoring is a good idea, this is what I use:
https://mondiproducts.com/index.php/product/mini-thermo-hygrometer/

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Yeah with my lights off I’m holding steady at 51% rh and my temp is at 73. I might be able to bump that down another couple degrees I’m hoping. They come down tomorrow and have my bubba kush and peyote forum starting. They cracked this morning and got moved into rockwool

1 Like

I dry in a small 16"x16" tent with the extraction fan on a humidistat set to 65% RH. Leave it to me to over engineer everything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Here you go my friend.

Drying and Curing buds hang them for 5-9 days. 7 days at that humidity is optimal at 50-55% and TEMPS at 65-75 degrees.Once the stems “bend” not snap they are ready to jar up, you want the buds dry on the out side and wet on the inside that’s when they are ready to jar up. After you have Jared them put them somewhere dark for 24-48 hours to sweat then open jars and pour all the bud out to check for moisture levels you want the moisture from the big buds to rehydrate the smaller buds that were dryer than the larger ones. If buds are soaking wet pour out of jars and leave out for 3-4 hours or until they are dry on the outside and moist on the inside. Once that’s done put back into jars and if they are not soaking wet when you open them up for the first time after jaring them dump them out and move them around for 1-2 minutes and put them back in the jars. Repeat the process for the next 2 days.on DAY 3 - through day 7 open jars take off lid leave buds in jars and burp for 15 minutes every day.After day 7 then every other day for the next two weeks (21-24 days for total cure 3 weeks roughly) open jars and burp for 30 seconds then tighten lids back on. Then after the 3rd week or so of cure when you tear a bud in half you should hear a snap or pop sound ( means the buds cured perfect) then open jars ONCE a week wether it be to get a big out to smoke or what have you but open jars once a week for 10 seconds until all the bud is smoked up this keeps mildew from getting in the buds.

Hope this helps you.

5 Likes

Thanks amigo!! Yeah that’s pretty much the info I’ve come across too. This is my first harvest so dont mind me just doin a bit of overthinking :joy:

1 Like

No worries :wink: let me know if you have more questions, or problems.

1 Like

You really want to avoid that “pour all the bud out…” stuff as much as possible as the more you handle the buds the more trichomes are getting knocking off.

What I’ve been doing is let them hang a couple days past the stem snap stage then jar them with a Bovida pack. The jars then sort themselves out with a minimum of fuss.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Thanks gpaw

1 Like