Tent Light Leaks! help!

Hi everyone! Wish I had a different first post to post!! But anyhow I just got my first grow kit and I’m excited to start growing! But I’m on a pause until I can get things worked out with the seller on eBay. Hopefully they can make things right as I don’t know what the outcome will be.
Anyways, what is the best way to seal a bunch of pin hole leaks?? If it makes any difference the brand of tent I bought is a Mars Hydro. So far I’d give it a 6/10, what it has going against it are the light leaks and the poles for hanging equipment on were not aligned correctly, so they didn’t sit evenly on top of the frame.
Thank you all!

9 Likes

You could try lining the inside or of the tent with a roll of Mylar film or some opaque white plastic. You could also cut out some pre-measured rectangles of black-out curtains and sew them on with a sewing machine, or just pin them in the corners of the outside of the tent. The part where you get in just needs the covers draping over it, not fixed, so you can still get inside. When you have the ducting coming out of the ducting holes, you could just twist it around so you get a few loops in it, so light doesn’t get so much in or out.

5 Likes

Black silicon : )
Put tiny dot of silicon on finger and dot all the pinholes on outside of tent (back canvas ) away : )

21 Likes

If it’s supposed to be brand new, I would get my money back and try and different brand. All tents are not equal.I’ve never used one yet but hear the talk about the pinholes. They shouldn’t show up in a brand new one, imo.

5 Likes

Oh, and welcome to OG @TokerJayG! Hit the Introduce yourself page and let everyone know you’re here. You’ll like it and get more hits on your topics. Enjoy!

3 Likes

@Zoey whats the best way to fix pin hole light leaks with your tents?

6 Likes

Duct tape…getr done! Smoke a phatty after…meat or veggie no difference both good!:slight_smile:
Moving on next question…

4 Likes

Duct tape is not great in the grow room ,after a short time it will fail due to the temp and humidity If using tape in grow room , use the foil tape , its made for high temps , also moisture and it’s reflective too : )

12 Likes

any tape & a black marker if you’re in lockdown.

:bulb: :nerd_face:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I agree with @ifish about duct tape not sticking really well to the canvas tent. At least my tent doesn’t like to be taped and spits any and all attached items by tape off without a second glance! I have a Secret Jardin DR90 and a Green Hut, 3’ x 3’ x 6’ and 4’ x 4’ x 6’, respectively. For a temporary and EASY fix, drape dark sheets or drop clothes over the whole she bang, being sure to NOT block either the intake or exhaust ports. Then someone said a dab of silicone on ur finger and I agree with that too. I have this stuff I use on my shoes when they fall apart. An old “hack” from my skateboarding days is a product called SHOE GOO and it can be bought in various colors including clear, which OBVIOUSLY would be a POOR choice…
And OF COURSE of the tent is/was new and had pin holes in it already, return and DON’T BUY STUFF FROM THEM depending on how they made the situation right. Meaning, if they tell you to kick rocks, then kick rocks all the way to a company with better customer service!

5 Likes

Idk if you’ll get a response, says @Zoey was last active on Feb 27th, I’m gonna guess there probably wont be an answer here from them.

3 Likes

All tents have leaks somewhere but that to be expected seeing as how they are stitched out of canvas. Just get yourself a roll of duct tape my friend. It’s not even worth sending back imo

3 Likes

If it makes you feel better, a few pinholes here and there don’t actually present a significant problem.

Plants flower herm-free under moonlight and starlight. Which is honestly almost bright enough to read by once in a while. There is a bit of a “weed culture mythos” built around “it needs absolute uninterrupted 100% total darkness the entire flower cycle”. Further, ambient room lighting is pretty dim, considering, it’s not like it’s full sun outside the tent.

9 Likes

Gorilla tape holds up alot better in grow rooms then norm duct tape , just be warned sometimes it’s a bitch to get off.

4 Likes

I have done this before :point_up: - i had a big tear beside the zipper and i draped a dark blanket over it …
if the pin-holes are all over - then chase a replacement or get another ( if you have the :yen: .!.).
Good luck whatever you do. :crossed_fingers:
And welcome to Overgrow .!
Happy growing,
Gaz

2 Likes

yup i second the dab of black silicone or glue, or duct tape from inside. it’s probably not even necessary tho. both my tents have handfuls of pinholes but i never even bothered fixing them because the room is dark when the flower tent is sleeping anyways. tho i do go in and turn the light on often during the night and i’ve never had a problem.

2 Likes

The response has been exactly what I was looking for!! I appreciate each and every one of you for chiming in.
I got me some options to consider now and will definitely get my grow posted on here.
First indoor grow coming in the coming week! I look forward to posting on here and receiving any advice or tips!!
Don’t got a lot of money for them high dollar packs but I did manage to get some tester seeds and I got them germinating atm, only 24 hours all 5 popped and look like they gonna be vigorous!!!
Again thank you all for your input! I sense a great community of growers here and look forward to future posts as well as gaining knowledge from other growers ahead of me.
Thank you!!! :pray::pray::pray::purple_heart::seedling::purple_heart::seedling::purple_heart:

3 Likes