Zipper on tent broken

Does anybody have any ideas how I could fix my tent zipper? Or cover it? Someway I can jerry-rigged? Anything, no ideas will be shot down.
On the bottom of my tent the zipper slips, opening up behind the zipper when trying to close it. I’ve been having to leave it open on the bottom but I worry there will to much light leak during flower.

edit I sewed the door shut to make do until I can afford to replace it. Thank you everyone for the ideas!

7 Likes

Put up a picture.

2 Likes

Tape it shut, 10ml works great

3 Likes

@Heather420 Maybe use some sort of wide velcro system strips so you could open/close still? They also have the zipper strips with tape for building a door into a “tarpaulin wall” A little rigging but could help you! :sunglasses::v:

☆DJSF

5 Likes

Close it more slowly and more carefully, they all kinda do that over time you just have guide the flap away as you zip. Not really a way I can see around it either those flaps help keep it light proof.

3 Likes

Worst case scenario and you can’t get it working right, put some kind of heavy light proof skirt around it like a tarp.

4 Likes

The slider gets stretched after repeated use. If it’s metal it can be bent back into shape with a pair of pliers.

3 Likes

Duct tape with a high end that’s folded over, to use for a handle to pull off to open and then reseal?

or just cover it like @EugeneDebs420 says

2 Likes

The zipper pull to the left gets suck where it is, the right zipper can only go that far before slipping open. If I mess with the right pull it starts making the the side open up an ends up pulling the fabric off center

@Indoornesian I tried a few different duct tape brands,it always peels off the fabric

@DJSF I don’t think there is enough slack to make velcro work

@EugeneDebs420 I’ve tried, I even tried some graphite because I’ve read that makes zippers slide better

2 Likes

you tube search it, I can do anything by watching 8-9 youtube tutorials and f**kin it up from there. @Hidden mentioned this above.

7 Likes

The two sides may be out of alignment. Maybe zipping it all the way off will help with that.

3 Likes

That really sucks, I would definitely try to open it all the way up like Hidden said, those zippers can be a nightmare, what size tent is that?

2 Likes

I got severe combined type ADHD sometimes I completely miss the obvious when anxiety is high. Slow down, Back up re group that thing

1 Like

I took a look an the teeth an there a bunch of broken ones. The zipper teeth are very cheaply made

I’ve tried removing the shell a few times an it always it’s stuck in the same place. If I try am slowly move it over that spot it slips open them goes outta alignment when I try to back the zipper up

@buckaroobonsai it’s a little 2x4

3 Likes

Might I suggest getting a little bigger tent for flowering, maybe a 3x3? And making that a veg tent? That way light leaking won’t matter? I know space and budget are a consideration.

5 Likes

This is the best advice tbh inflation ain’t hit the grow gear yet it’s still much cheaper than it was just a few years ago.

5 Likes

I would love to be able to do that but between the tent, more lights, cooling it’s too expensive

5 Likes

Use some thread or fishing line and loosely sew it together, then get some black biosafe silicone and seal it up. Should work.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

Just MacGyver a skirt for it like @EugeneDebs420 said. Like a dust ruffle for a bed space blanket comes to mind and cheap

3 Likes

That maybe a option it did come with some small pieces of extra fabric I could use. The only thing with doing that is I wouldn’t be able to take the tent down if I ever wanted

3 Likes