The Campfire šŸ”„ Gather 'Round!

Is AMAZING. I use it to make all my extracts and have it with my coffee EVERY morning with some butter and hemp seed oil.

Thanks for the remind I need to get more on my way home tonight after work. :+1:

5 Likes

Today I wanted to post about something that I discovered recently. With this crop I grew this summer, I was thinking about ways in which to use it and how I would store it while I was working my way through the crop. I was listening to this live chat with Riot and Notsodog and Notso goes on this tangent about how he dries, curies and stores his crops. It kind of blew my mind and I just thought I would share.

The part of the conversation where he goes into detail about it is at 1hr:19mins to about 1hr:40mins. Hereā€™s the link:

Basically, as I understand it, he cuts down his plants and hangs them with basically all foliage for about 10-14 days at about 65F (18C) to low 70ā€™sF (20-23C) and approx 60% RH. He then removes all fans, leaving sugar leaves and cuts lengths of stalk with the bud still attached and puts them into a large paper bag (like a grocery store type brown paper bagā€¦ for my Canadian homies these would be the ones at the LCBO or Beer Store). He talks about the important relationship between the stalk and the buds and how itā€™s KEY to this process. He then takes a bunch of those paper bags with the weed and puts them in a large contractor garbage bag! He said you can leave it there for months without much terp loss and that all his buds that tried this method havenā€™t gone back.

Anyone try this shit?! Iā€™m real intrigued.

10 Likes

I just watched this same interview. Iā€™m trying his paper bag/ contactor bag technique with a side by side grove bag comparison on my next harvest. Interesting to see if thereā€™s much difference.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used a similar technique before but with paper bags in totes, and also after hang drying long buds I would put them standing up with stem down in a bucket or tote with the lid open slightly like 1/10 open for another week to help slowly draw the moisture from the stem.

4 Likes

Would be very interested to read the results of that experiment!

Ohhh thatā€™s a nice technique! Did you notice any difference in quality compared to a jar cure?

3 Likes

On indoor bud not so much, but on outdoor buds I notice a difference. The ones I hang up that go straight to jars when dry enough to buck off the stem by hand donā€™t cure as well as the ones I let hang a bit longer and keep on the stems to cure. I even have some outdoor bud from last year with the fans still on :joy: itā€™s all good though I just trim as I go with that stuff. When I trim those buds I can see how the fans protected the trichs, they were immaculate.

After I ran out of jars, buckets, and totes during last years harvest I started using those huge vacumn seal ziploc storage bags you see at dollar stores, they worked surprisingly well. To keep the buds from getting squished I would only fill it 2/3rds of the way and use a small air mattress pump to put enough air to be able to move the buds around freely. To keep them protected from light I would put 2-3 vac bags in a contractor bag. Hope some of this info helps :grin:

5 Likes

Ya man, I can attest to this. Itā€™s pretty cool actually.

:joy: you, me and probably 90% of the ppl on here bud lolā€¦ I really only figured out that whole ā€œtrim as you consumeā€ thing last year. It was a game changer for sure.

Ya man, super helpful. My love of growing outweighs but ability to consume at the moment but Iā€™m learning of all these new methods to use this beautiful plant in different ways. Itā€™s always nice to have some good head stash flowers on hand tho!

4 Likes

Under the hunters moon.

10,000 years before any of us existed a astronaut crashed on earth.

She started the first campfire for a troup of Sasquatchā€™s

Ever since, the campfire has been the savior for the human race.
From our younger years

To adult life, fire is a fascination

Telling stories

Playing music

Dancing round the fire

@NorthNorthNugs hopin you had a great weekendā€¦ round the campfire.

8 Likes

Hell yes brother! These images are just insane. What you can create with AI these days. Itā€™s absolutely incredible. Loving the vibe of all that imagery!!!

The campfire was full of friendly faces and good food this wknd being as it was Thanksgiving up here in the good old North.

Thanks for posting and gathering those images, amazing stuff!

3 Likes

Donā€™t let your campfire go wild .

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been absolutely inundated with my outdoor crop for the last 2-3 weeks so I havenā€™t been able to update as much I would have liked but I will post more in the future.

For now Iā€™ll update on my little Chem project I got going on. 11 of 12 survived the sprout. One GMO x Obama just fizzled out as it poked its head out of the soil. Those seeds are the least vigorous of the bunch (located on the right in the pic above). The most vigorous are the G. Fumes on the left side. Pretty sure I have a few males on my hands, at the very least I have 1 male for sure. Itā€™s the largest and most vigorous but I could be wrong.

For those of you with stunning observational skills you will notice that I turned my tray around in between these pics. I did this bc on one side of the tent the plants were so tall and they gradually get smaller from one side to the next. I found this very strange and much too uniform to be a natural thing. I thought maybe my tent was slanted or the light was slantedā€¦ itā€™s not but I flipped the tray to see if the smaller ones will catch up! Lol weā€™ll see.

The Headband x Chem D is showing variegation already (at least I think thatā€™s what that is) and it stinks! It smells like pukeā€¦ no joke. I used to think ppl who spoke about their plants smelling in veg as show offs or that they were exaggerating but Iā€™m not kidding when I tell you it smells like a bar garbage canā€¦ exciting stuff. Iā€™ve never really had a plant smell strongly in veg. They always just smell like vegetation to me but this one is different.

I would like to clone these plants and then run the clones in the flower tent. So itā€™s going to be another month or so before I transplant and flip.

Beyond that I have some fun things to post that Iā€™ve learned and updates about my first rosin pressing experience, THC pain cream and other things Iā€™m experimenting with.

5 Likes

Looks great @NorthNorthNugs :+1::grin:

Could be the fan.

I had one do that

:thinking: I think @Greasy did too.

Lookin forward to seeing and hearing more :grinning:

4 Likes

Yep, I got variegation early on too. The plant grew out of it though. Looking forward to seeing what you find, I loved the smoke from mine!

@Oldtimerunderground thanks for the tag, @NorthNorthNugs I hadnā€™t found your new journal, glad to be here!

2 Likes

Hi all! Sorry for the lack of posts here over the last few months. Work has been full on and I donā€™t have much time to post as much as Iā€™d like or had planned to. I have a bunch of fun stuff planned for the thread so bare with me.

The seed project is moving at a snails pace but itā€™s coming along. To refresh your memory I have 4 Guerilla Fumeā€™s, 4 Headband x Chem D and 3 GMO x Obama that Iā€™m planning on pollinating with Lemon Jeffrey pollen.

I took clones from the plants. It took and extra 3 weeks to let all the plants grow enough to even take clones. The GMO x Obama being the slowest as you can see here on the left:

The G. Fumeā€™s are beasts.

In case youā€™re concerned, thatā€™s Sulphur on the plants from my IPM regiment, not PM. Iā€™ve been battling a nice aphid infestation in veg, which has been fun and also causing a huge delay. Iā€™m not flipping these babies until theyā€™re clean AF.

For the aphids Iā€™ve been doing a Sulphur spray, insecticidal soap and a combination of beauveria bassiana (BB) and trichoderma harzianum I purchased from Bokashi Earthworks. I bought the spores and mixed them in a 5 gallon bucket of water with molasses. I let that sit for 3 weeks and use it to spray on my plants and add to the soil. All 3 methods seem to knock them back but I am now going to do a really aggressive regime of every day in a combination of all 3.

I took my clones but screwed up by cutting them in the wrong spot. After 2 + weeks only the 3 GMO x Obama have rooted. This is super annoying and I need more space but I really want to run the clones in flower to avoid things like nanners, etc. I also want to judge the clones in flower as keepers.

I knew when I started this project it would probably take longer that expected but Iā€™m not going to rush things. This will be a fun project to see out.

Here are the plants today. I up-potted them to larger containers. Yes those are yogurt containers :grin: drilled a few holes in the bottom and they allow me to keep a lot of plants in my small space.

Theyā€™re just stretching enough to take more clones, so Iā€™ll try to take clones again and be more careful to cut the clones so I have a node at the very bottomā€¦ weā€™ll see. Sooner or later Iā€™ll have clones of all these babies and get them in the flower tent asap!

The other fun thing I did recently was make my first bubble hash! What a great experience that was. Iā€™ll update more on that soon!

Hope your gardens are healthy! :v:t3:

12 Likes

CongršŸ¤®tulations on being a show off! Lol! I see bubble hash in my near future as well!!!

1 Like

Haha ya showing off my bug infestation :joy:

Thanks! Ya bubble hash was fun once I got everything set up. Next will be pressing into hash rosin! Looking forward to that. Already learned a bunch from my first run.

Like, WPFF (whole plant fresh frozen) or FF (fresh frozen) is nice and everything but itā€™s a bit hard to work with and the yields are terrible! I havenā€™t smoked it yet to compare but Iā€™ll report back.

4 Likes

Carefull with the sulphur if you leave it on a few days it can turn into sulphuric acid and burn holes in the plants leaves as I found out :slightly_frowning_face:

Looking good cosidering you got aphids ravaging them :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on that! I actually didnā€™t know that and have left the Sulphur on the plants for awhile but didnā€™t see any holes in the leaves. Iā€™m not denying what you say is true though, so Iā€™ll be more careful going forward.

Ya Iā€™ve been really diligent in cleaning the plants DAILY! If I see any aphids on the stalks or petioles, Iā€™ve been spraying them off with blasts of water from me spray bottle. That and the IPM sprays seem to be keeping them at bay. The insecticidal soap really has seemed to knock them back, just have to keep up with them! Donā€™t want any issues at all in flower. Iā€™m crossing my fingers.

4 Likes

!!! :exploding_head:

Thanks for the chemistry lesson @Shadey !!!

Looking great @NorthNorthNugs with the project!

3 Likes

I was using it dry dusting it on, then any humidity seemed to oxidize it and turned it into an acid a bit like how acid rain is created. Itā€™s not strong, but it can be enough to burn holes through the leaves if left on them for a while.

2 Likes