The Canadian Contingent (Part 1)

I will be going to watch the surfers down in Lawrencetown beach try and surf them. Then pick up all the seaweed washing up on the beach. :+1:

7 Likes

DUUUUUDDDDEEE!!! This is an awesome idea! If you dehydrate and powder it I’ll send you shipping + some for some 'Scotia Sea Magic. :wink:

3 Likes

Its a nightmare to try and dry it, usually goes mouldy before it dries. I blend it with water and freeze it in ice cube trays. Then its just take a couple out of the freezer and chuck in the water bucket.

5 Likes

have you tried a food dehydrator?

3 Likes

There is a dried edible seaweed they sell in the Chinese grocery store, I think it is kelp.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I have a food dehydrator, I use for peppers and mushrooms, but for the amount of seaweed I collect, plus its all slimy, and has bugs and stuff in, it would be cheaper to buy it dried than try to dry it, cost wise on the electric bill, and it would stink the house out lol.

4 Likes

Hola Gang

Ever try to compost the seaweed

then used that compost for plants

Bare

5 Likes

Yeah I do that with whats left, after I get a couple of grocery bags worth, blending it up and freezing it :wink:

4 Likes

The old timers use to collect in the spring , lay it out for many weeks of rain , flipping it over a few times , then would till it right into the soil. There are a few different ones that are very beneficial , with brown kelp being the best known .
Nowadays it is actually quite illegal to collect and doing so on any real size would most likely end in fines or a nice stern warning like I got a few years back lol

On a side note can any of my fellow canucks recommend a good website to order gear such as bulbs , rockwool clone cubes , etc , etc from ?

4 Likes

Its legal here if its washed up on the beach, but if its attached to rocks and growing, its not allowed.

The gov haven’t thought about making you pay for a license to collect it yet, but I am sure they will at some point as more use it on their gardens.

6 Likes

Check with @AquaTerra he might be able to cut you a deal.

3 Likes

My self and a few others who were only collecting from the beaches here , were told otherwise when one of the sob summer people reported us to DNR . Told us there were several charges he could lay but that he would let us off this time . He also could of been completely full of shit like DNR is about everything else lol

3 Likes

I didn’t realize seaweed was an endangered species.

I was camping one time and they gave a friend of mine a $200 ticket for his walking/hiking stick.

As soon as I saw them come through the bush I knew they were going to ruin our whole day.

And this was in the middle of nowhere on crown land, not a busy park.

Stick poachers. Seaweed poachers. Bullshit.

5 Likes

Wondering if any of you fine Canadians have made Seabrings CBD Comfort Cream and can point me to a reliable Canadian source for DMSO? I see a few brands pop up but it’s hard to tell if any are good. Seeing a lot of varying prices. Thanks!

5 Likes

@Xianpreservation83 & anyone in Newfoundland; I hope y’all are okay with the :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: .

:worried:

7 Likes

Yeah wasn’t too bad after all. No problem here

6 Likes

First 2 pics are my family home 3 hours away

8 Likes

Indoor Farmer has been my go to

1 Like

I was just talking with my wife about you, saying I was going to message you, saw this first. Glad you and yours are ok my friend, truly am.

1 Like

Yeah it wasn’t as bad here as expected. I don’t own anything outside to be damaged outside anyways. Luckily I got no plants outdoors. So many people had their outdoor crops destroyed last night

3 Likes