The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

It’s @mystic_funk

He hasn’t made any postings since 2 years ago, but he’s semi responsive if you DM him directly.

7 Likes

Very cool, thanks again!

3 Likes

Do you still have my addy?

1 Like

Sure thing I think thats the last one, just PM me with an address.

3 Likes

@deeez99 very cool of you to share, and a beautiful bud you have there!

4 Likes

I think I am late… but well, time is relative… jhhahahaha
Wanna grow that.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Sweet! I hoped that release was approved. That’s some great news then.

Did I trade with you on IG😁 or was it a trade of a trade? I also have a pack of that( cryptic labs) one left that probably shouldn’t collect any more dust…
Isn’t it called Vintage Mexican only?

3 Likes

Hmmm. Think it was a trade on here for sure! :grin:

1 Like

Oooh i see. Cryptic released a different freebie called vintage Mexican. Its old South American strains× Oaxaca.
You have a pack of cryptic labs “Vintage” Oaxaca from me then @moka?

3 Likes

Yes I do! I was blessed by your work!

1 Like

i just googled Vintage Mexican, and also came up a Strain : Vintage Mexican - Mass Medical Strains, wich acording my Memory, should be the widely cursating Mexican Line, called Woodstock Mexican, that longflowering one. woodstock something…
So, just you know, some parts of the cross MAY be already out there, or in your Collection

3 Likes

Hey @Upstate and all you other Oaxaca lovers out there, I did a hyperfocus deep dive on some research trying to identify the “Oaxaca 1978” that Snowhigh has and Bodhi has worked with as Highland Oaxaca. This post is going to be two threads I pulled on that question, the first part is letting folks know about this amazing Oaxaqueno preservationist who’s working to both get the heirlooms into Mexico’s genetic heritage seedbanks and also working with local indigenous communities to get them growing legally and with modern technologies, if you’re passionate about this stuff I’d honestly reach out to him, he sounds like a really committed guy trying to save his local heritage:

He identified five types native to Oaxaca:
-Criolla or Oaxaca Highland, best adapted to the region
-Oaxaqueña Pelirroja or Oaxacan Redhead, likely an African genetic closely related to the Guerrero or Panama Reds, citrus smell and flavor
-Púpura Oaxaqueña or Oaxacan Purple, unclear if it’s any relation to the Zacatecas Purple, medicinal effects
-Verde Limón Oaxaqueña or Oaxacan Lime Green from Villa Sola de Vega in the south, similar to the Guerrero Green
-Zorrilluda de Oaxaca or Oaxacan Zorrilluda maybe the rarest, very stinky

https://mx.linkedin.com/in/daniel-ramirez-9782151a8

https://youtube.com/@ProyectosSRA

The second half is the Oaxaca 1978 question. I have seen references to a Oaxacan type winning a competition in the US in 78 but haven’t been able to find a reference to it, maybe one of you has a memory or files about that? What I have found is a user on the early to mid 2000s forums named “oaxacaspice” (username redacted on ICMag of course) who is from Texas, is Oaxacan, and brought back seeds from a family visit in 1978 as an adolescent and has held it since with friends. I can’t find a link between him and the breeders using that description but I think this is the guy who might be the source of the genetics. It’s tricky because 1978 is also the year DEA paraquat spraying started in Mexico, so it’s also conceivable that seeds from that last harvest pre-spraying have become a signifier of quality the way we now say “pre-98” or “pre-2000s” to denote lineages that predate mass internet forum trading and the murky lineages that can come from that. Either way this guy has a fuckin awesome Oaxacan accession that is super interesting, if anyone traded with him or knows him from forums, please chime in:

https://fullmeltbubble.com/forum/showthread.php?454-Highland-Oaxacan-West-Texas-Style

Post in thread ‘True Oaxacan Highland Land Race Sativa and ‘Sticky Retardo’’ https://www.icmag.com/threads/true-oaxacan-highland-land-race-sativa-and-sticky-retardo.16432/post-610702

He was active on a few boards, and part of a group called the KICC, Keep It Concentrated Crew. He’s also a US military veteran.

The brother was not messing around, look at this Blockhead dry sift puck:

https://fullmeltbubble.com/forum/showthread.php?221-Inspirational-dry-sifted-hash-pictures-(post-ur-pics-here)/page2&styleid=19

15 Likes

A second variety is the Oaxacan Redhead, a cannabis variety characteristic of the entire southern area of ​​Mexico. In addition, there are similar varieties in other states, such as Guerrero, and even in other countries, such as Panama.

Interesting…could be cousins of Colombian red point and Panama red.

Regards

P J

5 Likes

For sure. The famous Mexican red hair

6 Likes

Looking forward to fully reading the link. I do think Oaxaca was well known in the States far before 1978…

4 Likes

Around the late 70’s there was stuff going around in the south that people called Mohaccan. Im sure it was mispronounced Oaxacan.

4 Likes

Got a couple of packs of Red Snake x Sour Diesel Bx4 if anyone wants to try something crazy let me know.

8 Likes

Here’s a couple I took this morning.

There much clearer than the last ones….20 weeks in flower on the 7th…two days.

Regards

P J

16 Likes

This guy really hits the nail on the head:

“This is another revolution,” says Isidro Cisneros, a grower from the town of Cuautlixco in the state of Morelos where the Mexican revolutionary Emiliano Zapata was born. “It’s about land and freedom, and a plant that has been criminalised for years without good reason. Growing cannabis, peasants can live and eat well.”

Can you imagine what the export market for organic, pure heirloom Oaxacan cannabis would be like? I’d pay a lot of money for a package of those five varieties he described. It would be one thing to grow them myself, but imagine being able to buy them grown outdoors in their home by the people who kept them all this time?

9 Likes

Sadly that is never going to happen.

I wish it was. Colombian Gold straight from Colombia. Thai Sticks from Thailand, etc. The idea of getting to experience these regional strains with their own unique genetics and terroir is fascinating.

Unfortunately they will be grown in massive fields used for oil production and to the satiate the modern market. Big fields are coming alright. Full of dessert strains that will be indistinguishable from any other modern commercial hybrid.

9 Likes