The Cinderella 99 story. A FAQ from a friend close to the Bros about 20 years ago

Thanks man, it’s a 5x5.

Thats the one I prefer too. :rofl:

1 Like

Well I just popped a few cindy from an increase of f3 from relic seeds.

6 Likes

One of the most interesting dynamics of Cindy to me is how it appears in so many crosses in some form or another, as it was clearly hot at one point, but more recently new Cindy crosses are few and far between, and the “industry” has trended away from it. Surprises me though, perhaps people burned out on the terps. I missed that earlier wave entirely and just find it surprising based on the fast finishing. But maybe that’s because it is in a sea of options now, not the only smoke in the stash. A whole generation has not tried Cindy once, or Jack for that matter.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed the same, and not just Cindy, but other strains of that vintage as well.

I suspect a lot of it has more to do with the market chasing ‘hot names’ to cross with than anything else.
I think there’s plenty of good crosses left to be done with the old strains.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I still have some of the original Mexican seeds from the 70’s. I need to plant some. I’m growing some of the oldies now. Doing the root pruning thing again, this time with MicroKote - #11 by OldUncleBen

4 Likes

I have a good bit of cindy f4 I did from a pk of relics f3. …hell there is 4 here just flipped. :laughing:

5 Likes

Don’t know if it’s been put here but…

5 Likes

Thanks a bunch. Makes me want to germ some of my backcrosses. Again, around the late 90’s me and my buds were buying the originals from Heaven’s Stairway, a seedbank in Canada. Ron was the owner. Got busted by the Royal Mounted Police.

4 Likes

Yes yes I remember it well… Was shitting bricks for about a year, then intermittently for another year or 2

3 Likes

Those were the days of Overgrow, Cannabis World and then Planet Ganja.

8 Likes

I miss pg.

One of my all time favs. Had some from Mosca. Loved the pineapple. Lost it but gonna try to find it again. Surely others loved her as much as me and hopefully one day we meet again. So who now sources the best representation? That is the question.

1 Like

I can personally attest to these being excellent, as good as any C99 I’ve smoked but better because it’s my organic homegrown:

And others from FDM like General’s Daughter or Durban-Thai Highflyer

9 Likes

I ran C99 from 2000 - 05 or 06 before I lost her to a raid.
I hooked up with Soul after he came back into the scene and teamed up with Duke, and ran through 10 packs trying to find something similar to what I had back when. I found something pretty close, but not quite there.
I then ran 4 or 5 packs of the newer stuff after duke split, and just got all kinds of random shit from them, and a bunch of true intersex plants. Not stress induced herms, but natural, genetic, intersex plants.
Not what I was looking for, and not something Soul was looking for or wanted to hear.
I would say if you are looking for a blast from the past, spend your money on a Grateful Record, thats timeless. This new iteration of C99, thats tired.
All of this is just my opinion of course. Feel free to fanboy up and call me out. Bahahahahhahaha

6 Likes

Here’s but one of a 100 old posts/threads/news items I’ve kept over the years. I wrote this in 2006 in response to Ron’s (Heaven Stairway) bust, etc. and the ensuing demise of the original OverGrow.com. Hope you find it interesting.

Hello everyone, hope this finds you doing well…these are trying times. These are my thoughts on the arrest, which was only a matter of time. Don’t shoot the messenger, feel free to debate the message. We all are feeling pretty much the same right now, sad.

I think there are many factors and chain of events that brought RC’s enterprises down, which has been pending for months if not for years regarding an in-depth investigation by the Feds.

!. For starts, RC’s illegal enterprises were big and broad based providing for an easy target. I’m talking membership, subscribers, etc. not database storage size. Whether he was ratted on or was under scrutiny is immaterial,

2. He engaged in illegal activities which included the sales of drug paraphranelia, which will getcha everytime (anyone remember Cheech?). I personally warned Shabang and the OG admins about such paraphranelia activity about 2 years ago, and was laughed at (for my stupidity),

3. Most of the (OG) forums and sponsors catered to children, since children are an easy sales target. Youth is easy to sway and easily fall for the OG admin engineered “Overgrow the Government” mantra and the sales pitches. How many posts does it take along the lines of (“help, my mother found my plants!”) before the Feds say enough is enough. It becomes a moral issue AND a legal one,

4. The Canadian gov seems to be tightning up the anti-drug thingie either with or without the help of USA authorities,

5. OG supported anti-American hate speech directed at Prez Bush, by allowing pro-Muslim terrorist statements to remain in certain Lounge forums and filtering out Pro-Bush statements and those that made them. This included death threats directed at Prez Bush and US troops…not smart for admin and not smart for RC to not get a handle on it. This is enough to push any NSA buttons and since the Canadian gov was supportive of the USA going into Iraq by providing troops, equipment and other logistical support to President Bush, supporting such forums like the Political Debate forum was a stupid move on the part of Old Pink and Kryptonite. The Lounge was a favorite hangout for those under the age of 18, as reflected in the character of the posts,

5. And last but not least, ole fashion greed. RC should have quit while he was ahead. Like alot of managers, he didn’t watch his ops like he should have…relying instead on the expertise and trust of his admin and TOG (Team Over Grow).

Good work Ron, as always I’ve enjoyed your voice of reason and your tech work.

Regards,
Uncle Ben

10 packs of C99 and you didn’t find anything decent? That’s weird. Sure it was C99 you grew out? Regarding phenotypes, it’s one of the most stable I’ve ever seen. Kudos to Soul, he did some excellent work.

I grew out five 20 year old seeds back in 2020. First, I was shocked that they still were viable. 2nd, there was one male and 4 females, lucky me. They all looked like clones, just frickin’ stable. The potency sucked, not up to the old standard because of a severe mite infestation. No healthy leaves (and roots too), no good buds. My citrus is host to the bastards, that’s were they migrate from. I just get distracted by all the other stuff and neglect things I shouldn’t at times.

Soul and Sly hit the roof when I grew out, and posted, some of the originals 20 years or so ago and got one male that was a total POS - 10" internodes, lanky, pure sativa prototype. I guess this was the 1% Soul was talking about - assuming the “99” came about after he figured they were 99% stable after all the cubing back to the original mother. Believe the chain was something like Apollo, Princess then Cinderella. Pretty good memory for this 73 old pHart, eh! :laughing:

I still have a few of the old C99 seeds, a back cross, and made some more in that 2020 run.

So many purty ladies to kiss though. I’ve got my sights set on psychedelic strains now like Ace’s Malawi X Panama and Golden Tiger. I’ve grown out a lot of sativas in the day, indoor and out - OLD Mexican, Dalat Vietnamese, Zamal that Gypsy gave me, TFD’s Original Haze, etc.

Notice the mottling from severe mite damage. Good control is Forbid 4F for ALL stages of mite development, eggs thru adult, and for control of whiteflies. It’s not a poison FWIW and no, it isn’t labeled for edibles most likely because that was not the manufacturer’s marketing target. I have it, just didn’t spray it.

2 Likes

I have tried the “new” C-99 being sold by Rick, handed to me by Rick himself and it is nothing like the original strain IMO. I actually bought it from him several times in an effort to find an example of the original. No Dice……

5 Likes

Yep. I am positive they were C99. I was sitting at Souls kitchen table when he handed them to me.

3 Likes

[quote="Oldjoints, post:59,