The Cinderella 99 story. A FAQ from a friend close to the Bros about 20 years ago

Ben,

That you had ordered C99. Well I have a little present for ya. Please don’t repost this stuff as Shabang and Webby are currently creating a C99 FAQ. I’m involved and have my own work which I’d like to pass on to you. Hopefully an ole pro like you can get some useful info from this. Warning: Its long… Good luck and have a great holiday.

C99 FAQ

The Story:
Princess" is a female which resulted from a seed found in a Jack Herer bud I bought in Amsterdam near the Sensi Seed Bank at “Coffeeshop Sensi Smile”. The bud came in a 2gm cello-pack with the Sensi logo; I expected sinsemilla, but it had about 10 seeds so I assume she’s an F2 JH. Her characteristics were so fine I wanted to create seeds that would “replicate” this plant. She has the KILLER Haze-influenced high with the most DELICIOUS pineapple/evil scent, 50 day maturation in 12/12, and incredible resin production, does’t stretch - yet clearly Sativa-dominant! Last but not least: Never a hint of hermaphrodism after 2 years of cloning & many different styles of grow.

I wanted to “cube” Princess but add a little beef to her branches because the buds were always too heavy at harvest and branches needed staking to keep from flopping over. I crossed my ShivaSkunk female with
one of the males from the same group of seeds that Princess came from THIS cross produced a male which was then crossed to Princess, creating “P.50” (using a shorthand notation I developed to indicate the fraction of Princess genes in the cross).

Each generation is the result of crossing a male from the previous generation to Princess herself (incestuous, I know).

Blow-by-blow description of the generations:

P.50 = Heavy, single-cola type plants with mellow high (too much influence from the ShivaSkunk) Sweet fruity scent/flavour. Unstable in most traits - for example, 10 days difference in fastest/slowest maturation period in a group of 20 seedlings.

P.75 = Plants leaning MUCH more in the direction of Princess in floral cluster and bud structure, scent/flavour turned more “tropical” like pineapple. The stability was becoming better - two major phenotypes; short & dense (potent too) or tall/HUGE (Not so potent).

P.88 = Renamed Cinderella 88 when first released on the market. It grows fast and produces excellent yields of FROSTY buds in 7 weeks! Generally uniform seedlings with minor differences in floral formation and some height variance, but the smoke is quite consistent from all plants - Dense, heavy nuggets of fruity scented & flavoured (like wild berries) and covered in resin glands, the dried buds have distinctly ORANGE
pistils.

And now P.94 = Cinderella 99. This project has been a huge success. The strain has been embraced by the "net"work of growers with rave reviews. The Bros Grimm too have been recognized for their excellent combination of quality products and unparalleled service after the sale. There’s NO OTHER seed bank that has it’s breeders on the net answering questions from “newbies” 40 hours/week, and the info is first-rate; even details of their breeding strategies are openly discussed so that the seed buyer can feel well-informed about the products BG offer.

I personally think the plants these Cinderella 99 seeds produce are every bit as good as a cutting from Princess herself (or better). I say better because the flavour of no two plants is “identical”; there’s a personality to all living things. Like Princess herself, Cinderella is sweet & fruity to the palette and nose, and when you take a hit you’re BLASTED…with the same “racy” high as Princess! The improvement comes in the yield department; 25% greater yield and a stronger branch structure, which I accomplished by starting with some ShivaSkunk genes in the original father in the cubing process. I knew I’d blend out the
majority of the traits from ShivaSkunk in the cubing process, but I was hoping to incorporate the ShivaSkunk’s stronger branches because Princess had a tendency to need supports in the final two weeks of flowering. As it turns out, I got lucky and it worked. The name suits the strain IMO - it’s a true “Cinderella Story”.

A REPOST:
I’ve been seeing a lot of posts from people asking for the “Cinderella Story”, so here it is:

In 1997, I discovered a few seeds in a bud of Jack Herer I bought @ “Sensi Smile” coffeeshop in Amsterdam while there to buy seeds. I didn’t expect much when I grew them, but one of those seeds from the JH bud
produced a very special female that I call “Princess”.

Therefore Princess’ mother was a Jack Herer (IF we can believe what Sensi Smile printed on the package) and her father is a totally unidentified mystery plant.

I also got 2 more females (Genius & Cafe’Girl) & several males from those seeds. I used pollen from one of the males on a heavy-yielding, dense, resinous ShivaSkunk (from Sensi Seedbank) female, then grew the
resulting seeds to get males to produce pollen to cross Princess with, beginning the cubing process.

The first generation of seeds from Princess were called P.50 because they were 50% Princess. I used males from the P.50 generation to back-cross to Princess to get P.75 and again back-crossed with the P.75
pollen to get P.88 and again with the P.88 pollen to get P.94 which is “Cinderella 99”, a cubed version of Princess.

The name “Cinderella” was chosen because of the parallels between this story and the well-known fairy tale in which Cinderella becomes a Princess despite her humble beginning. It’s also VERY similar to the story of the “Morgan Horse”…go Figure!

SLY’s Take:
here is my take on the Cindy story. i DO NOT believe this is a JH hybrid. i don’t think it has any JH in it at all, and i’ve worked with this plant longer and more intensly than anyone other than soul. yes,
soul got it out of a 2 gram bag of JH he bought but i don’t believe there was JH in that package regardless of what was on the label. i think the coffeeshop, like many other dealers around. put whatever name
on the packages the public wants to hear. there is NO way IMHO that a cross pollination with any unknown father plant could bring a JH flowering time down to 49 days. the fact that there were other females
out of the same seed batch that had the same flowering time shows it was not and freak. i worked with sensi’s JH for several years, so i speak from first hand experience. Cindy is not even close the JH in flowering time or any other JH traits. i’ve been breeding for years and i have NEVER known a plants flowering time to be brought down that much with one crossing.

IMHO soul stumbled across a gem in the rough and was bright enough to know what he had and was expereinced enough to know what had to be done to it to bring it’s full potential out. since i’ve never seen anything that even resembles cindy on the market i’d say even the person who grew the bud out didn’t realize what he had

Soul’s Garden: …

37 Likes

Thanks for posting this, I’ve read Soul’s version of things a number of places in a later version that he must have polished up and added a little to from this, but this is clearly the earlier, more raw form of that story. What I haven’t seen before that’s really interesting, as a C99 devotee, is Sly’s comments that he doesn’t think it could be a JH cross. I’ve always wondered how a JH flower time could get shortened so dramatically by a single outcross, so that’s real intriguing.

6 Likes

Even assuming that the earliest male of another strain pollinated the earliest JH female in a large room it just doesn’t seem possible to get the flower time down to 8 weeks or even less

1 Like

Thanks for posting this @OldUncleBen truly a valued piece of history.

1 Like

@Dirt_Wizard, this goes way back. FWIW, my avatar was a Positronics JH sent to me by an Amsterdam seller incognito using foam type cards. Was wild back in the day trying to get good seeds. I’ll post how it was done then LOL. :sweat_smile:

Jock was SLOW. This was funny as hell. It’s the front of the card.

Back of the card. Cute message. The slit is where the seeds were hidden. Many, including me, couldn’t find them. They were carefully hidden in the foam!

The tiny labels over the seed channel. One “haze” was a blueberry phenotype - pure bluish purple leaves. The JH was as solid and hard as a rock. Got a little botrytis (bud rot) which I picked out. Great smoke.

15 Likes

I know, it was exceptional in that regard. This is one of my Cindy’s at 6.5 weeks. Cindy is ready by the 7th week.

As an aside, the best genes I did back then was crossing a fine male Peak19 to a C99 female.

You’re welcome @Cannasaurusrex

28 Likes

That is a husky looking C99 cross! Makes me have high hopes for one I have in flower right now that’s the champion of the tent for vigor and height, it’s from Baudelaire’s C99 Breeder Mix pack. Based on its wide leaves and stouter structure compared to the C99 I have growing next to it, I suspect it’s crossed to either his Sweet Tooth or Bubblegum. I’m really interested in the way that a good C99 seems to bring a lot of good traits to crosses, especially speed and vigor.

5 Likes

It’s a jack herm

:neutral_face:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Wow, another oldie - “Baud”.

I still have a few of BG’s Indoor/Outdoor Mix if you can believe it! Ron, owner of Heaven’s Stairway was selling them for $1/bean. Soul said they came from a sorting table which went awry.

One of the seedlings was a result of experimenting with topping and in this case it was the “topping to get 4 main colas” drill which I later published. Here’s a shot of that plant. I hauled it outdoors so my Polaroid photo would look better LOL.

Understanding how a plant (or tree) will react when I take shears or a saw to it is my “claim to fame”. :grin: For example, I have a large, 12’ key lime tree in a large bottomless RootBuilder “pot” in the greenhouse. I grafted about 6 varieties of oranges to it, Persian lime, Pomona lemon (sweet lemon, no acid), etc. I bet I got 500 citrus off that tree this year.

The double is Sensi Skunk, snuck in via Sweden from the Dam in a VCR cartridge.

A few big-as-grapefruit, super sweet and juicy oranges this past spring. (sorry, can’t resist. This is my true passion now, tropical fruit production).

26 Likes

damn @OldUncleBen I recognize that avatar! Nice plants as always!

4 Likes

@JoeCrowe has a Citrus Love thread here that you’d probably find some fellow citrus lovers in

2 Likes

Yeah exactly! I thought it was an established fact that it’s a herm with a quick NL5 pheno with sativa high. :grin: Jack Herer is suppose to be 50% haze, 37.5 Northern lights #5 and 12.5% Skunk #1.

Pz :v:t2:

5 Likes

I dunno man, I have a hard time believing that the mango and pineapple flavors and sativa effects and structure of C99 come from a cross that’s 68% NL5, that just doesn’t feel right

4 Likes

I wish Sly had re-surfaced rather than the new version of Soul, what a different world it might have been… wonder what Neru Jacket would say hehehe…

1 Like

Hehe, well I didn’t believe that you could find very cherry Berry smell from AK47 when a normal AK47 smells like earth and old leather either.

2 Likes

Tbh the new Grimm seeds are good. Better then Female seeds :grimacing: So I don’t know about the soul dude, but his seeds are green for me.

1 Like

thanks for sharing, yes ive heard and read those stories too, for all we know it may not even came from jack, it could be numerus other strains and combos, anyways thanks for the story

3 Likes

glad you liked them, I was talking about the ”person” mostly but didn’t try the new version of BG C99, I keep going with the old filials but that’s my choice mostly due to me not being able to stand the new Soul.

I like to smoke this one…

16 Likes

There is SOOOO many strange figures in cannabis and of you’re not gonna by seeds from them, then you have severely reduced the amount of different cultivars. I’m just saying :thinking:

2 Likes

of course, I am as strange, lol, didn’t say I was logical… didn’t mean to come off negative just my feeling about it maybe I should keep it on the down-low…

3 Likes