The Dwarf of Damascus

Howdy folks! Been offline a minute, but I’m back and ready to grow. I’m gonna start off easy and being with slowly looking for a mother plant. I’m also probably going to setup a single unit hybrid hempy bucket to automate my grow. More details on that soon.

For the next week or two, I just need to start some seeds and see how early I can detect dwarf phenos. I may restart things a few times or run with one from these. Not sure yet.

Picking up right where I left off, I’ve tossed some seeds from my Syrian/Lebanese hybrid into the dunk. Seeds come from a dwarf pheno mom, F2 generation seeds, finishing at 53 days. Dad was not a dwarf pheno, so I expect a mix.

For the moment, I’m just looking for one mother plant, dwarf stature, resinous and hopefully finishing in the early end for the line (43 days). There’s quite a bit of variation in potency plant to plant. I expect there are varying amounts of CBD, possibly THCV in some as well, as the Syrian is known to produce it.

I intend to fem breed it with a second dwarf selection. I want this plant to be very practical to grow—very short, very fast. I also want it to be very practical to smoke— non-drowsy, mild daytime smoke with mixed cannabinoids. This is a bit of a lifestyle strain for me. This is what I’m reaching for on the shelf for the foreseeable future.

Some of these are really close in effect to Jamaican sativas I’ve had, while also being about as structurally different as I can imagine. Makes a great joint, or low dosing for relaxation and anti-anxiety uses.

On a personal note, I’m looking forward to hanging out with you all again. OG is salt of the earth! :salt:

88 Likes

Sounds like an awesome project man, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

The effect and shape of the plant together sound like a great package :+1:

5 Likes

I’m around for this one.

4 Likes

love dwarf strains. its not about length, but girth is what matters, am i right?? :v::grin:

7 Likes

Nice! I’m watching this one.

5 Likes

Great to see you back Lefty. I hope life has been treating you well. This looks like another interesting project. You know I’ll be following along.

5 Likes

Good to see you back and a cool project you have start!

5 Likes

Quite an interesting project, that low dose dwarf short flowering strain sounds like something good to have around Pirata|nullxnull, wish you all the success in this endeavour, following along … popcorn

7 Likes

WELCOME, Welcome. w-e-l-c-o-m-e back!! Gonna reserve that far right corner, as usual. Ready to support your efforts as before. When you get a spare minute, please PM and let me know what’s available to purchase. Gonna pick up where we left off. Continued success, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Ready to follow along my friend @LeftHandSeeds

5 Likes

What is the yield on one of the dwarf plants? Would make a nice desk plant at 18 inches.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

I’ll follow along.
Good luck with your grow

2 Likes

They’re pretty decent on yield. Not a larger yield, but I can usually pull a quart mason off one. For me anyway, that lasts a while. :slight_smile:

I love smoking joints of this strain. There’s definitely enough mixed cannabinoids that you can enjoy a joint and still have a day. Lots of variations plant to plant though. Some are still pretty strong while others are more like I describe.

I’m uncertain about how the dwarf characteristic will manifest. If it is recessive, then it is possible that I won’t get any in my F2s… because the dad could be homozygous dominant. However, I suspect that it could be mediated by two recessive genes, like microdwarf tomatoes.

The dwarf Syrian was even smaller than the one I show, at about 12”. I’m uncertain if that is a trait or a growth characteristic resulting from inbreeding depression. I am considering going back to my F1 seeds, but I’d like a glimpse of these F2 first.

19 Likes

@Foreigner sprouts in coco (Royal gold tupur) seem to be just fine. I just use a spray bottle to make sure it doesn’t dry out. I’ve cut back on my humidity dome usage, because it seems to create an unnecessary adaptation period to lower humidity.

Only one hasn’t come up yet, but it was the last one to germinate.

21 Likes

Looks like they’re happy.

I used to use a spray bottle but now I just soak and then stop the water for a little once they start to come up. But it’s always a balancing act. Overly wet pots plus low humidity environment works well for me :+1:

4 Likes

Whoops I just checked and it was @MumenRyder who was asking the other day.

6 Likes

Excellent :ok_hand::ok_hand:

How much of a tail do you allow in the shot glass before putting them in the coco?

Do you use any H202?

4 Likes

Yep that’s exactly what I do. Shot glass of clean water with a splash of h2o2. Then I wait for tails to pop out and into damp coco.

Once I see the top of the coco starting to dry out, just spritz it enough that it can go another day or two and repeat until they’re ready to soak with nutes.

Edit: I put them in the coco whenever I see the tail out of the diameter of the shell. Nothing terribly precise. I usually just check them once a day in the shot glass.

10 Likes

Silly question but what’s the process for planting them? How far down do they go and do you “pack” the coco around/above them at all?

6 Likes

Not a silly question at all! The devil is always in the details with germination I think, and a lot of steps can get taken for granted.

I’ve watched people fill these starter trays in greenhouse videos… people that plant a lot of stuff at once. What I usually see is they cover the whole tray, then tap the side a few times to get the media to settle in, and then brush whatever is left off the top.

So my approach is to go for that ‘settled but not packed’ kind of density, even if I’m not filling an entire tray.

From there, when I have a seed ready to go in, I take some tweezers and open a small hole maybe about deep enough that top of the seed will be 0.25-0.5” when buried. Then place the seed in the hole, tail side down and then cover it back up with coco.

With tomatoes anyway, once they are ready to be transplanted, I give a gentle squeeze on the bottom of the cell in the tray while carefully pulling up on the stem and they come right out. Sometimes if I’m going straight into rockwool, I’ll even get a cup of water and wash most of the coco out of the roots.

I’m where you’re at with the rooting cubes. I hate having to keep stock of them, they’re expensive and a lot of times I feel like they don’t even work that well. So I just decided to give them up and figure it out. Greenhouse growers and nurseries have used these trays forever.

17 Likes