The Monster Mash

The Monster Mash
23 January 2023

Thoughts on Growing, Goodies, Gizmo’s and Gadgets

As we have some time to go as we wait on the grow and as my sleeping patterns are wack and I have the time - I’d like to take the opportunity to ramble on a bit and in doing so maybe give you some insight into my growing philosophy.

I think most growers develop their own personal style and techniques over time. MOST are not bad and are simply an adaption to what works best for them individually. The vast majority of growers are good growers; a big part of that being that in reality, cannabis is a pretty easy plant to grow. A few are REALLY Good Growers and have taken the time to educate themselves and are doing their best to not just grow, but grow right. There’s an even smaller group that are EXCEPTIONAL Growers. These growers are usually not much different in age than the previous two groups, though they do tend to be slightly older. What is it in my estimation that makes this small group of growers EXCEPTIONAL? They’ve simply learned to pay attention to their plants AND have learned how to adjust their grows and growing habits to what works best for them not always what the books say. Group C isn’t necessarily smarter than Group A; they have just learned what works FOR THEM.

That being said, there are some givens. If you want good bud grow your own. If you want GREAT bud and enough to share grow your own WELL!

If you are a serious pharmer you are gonna push yourself a bit; learn all you can, observe and take note as much as possible and just to be comfortable with yourself and what your doing - you’re going to develop your own style and unique ways of growing. These are the EXCEPTIONAL Growers.

Time, trials, errors and happenstance often lead most growers to the same places. What I’ve found is that if you grow long enough you’re going to have to at least have a cursory knowledge of things like nutrient needs, PH, PPM/EC and the like but how folks go about acquiring that knowledge can be quite diverse and sometimes self derived. For example; it wasn’t until I had been growing seriously for some time before I ever heard of Schwazzing and realized that even without the benefit of having read the $500 book not only was I a Schwazzer of sorts - so we’re most EXCEPTIONAL Growers. We all had learned without reading the book, but instead by reading our plants.

The question is - how much you learn on your own and how much you learn by relying on the information of others who are doing their best to do the same thing you are? I think it’s about 50/50 myself. You can and do learn on your own - but if you’re wise you will also seek out and take the advice from other pharmers whose results speak as loud as their words.

What about goodies, gadgets and gizmo’s do you need ‘em? I find myself often overwhelmed by the shear amount of technology and techno-speak that has evolved with todays modern cannabis cultivators. Octo-pots, cloning stations, humidity monitors, Hydroponics, Bubble-ponics, Coco, dirt, living soil, VPD… the list goes on and on … and seems almost designed to keep you as in-tune with the technology as it does your plants. So… how do I feel about all this stuff? Do you NEED it? Is it helpful? The answer is bit complicated …

If you have the time, finances, mental clarity, determination and will, there is little doubt that at least some of the current technology can be very useful, helpful and sometimes NEEDED. Your personal grows may in fact, not really suffer much if you don’t know terms or understand more complex concepts but they’re is just simply some stuff you’re going to HAVE to have and NEED to know.

In the end all you can really do is the best you can. My advice when it come to growing, goodies, gadgets and gizmos? Have some patience with yourself and be honest enough to truly say - “I’ve done all that I know to do at this time and done it the best I could” and for the rest … “I sought out the wisdom of others”. If you’re going to use the gizmos - then learn how to use them properly and to benefit your grow or you’re really better off not even investing the money and could potentially do more harm than good. For me personally, what I do works FOR ME and I’m really not sure I have either the skill, time left or capacity for learning or the patience with myself for properly using more gadgets. However - some of them are cool as shit!
(This is for @MrWizard the Gadget & Gizmo KING✌️)

11 Likes

That’s the way I’ve always grown. Keep it simple. I’ve got a buddy of mine that wanted me to go automated like he did. I told him, I prefer to read my plants myself. Everybody seems to want a set it and forget it for everything these days. Then when the shit don’t work or breaks, they have no clue what to do. I’m a dumb ol country boy, but I’m more of the hands on approach myself. The only givens in growing weed is, there are no givens. What works for one doesn’t always work for another. Like you said, you gotta figure out what works best for you. I may not know what I’m doing but what I’m doing seems to be working.
Just my $ 0.02. Y’all have a great day. Be Safe :v:t4:
Gary

5 Likes

:speaking_head: @repins12 Different strokes for different folks. :wink:

I don’t think automated systems are necessarily bad and there are times when I have to be away that having such a set-up would not only be practical but very helpful. If one is willing to put in the time, has the finances (which, let’s face it we CAN do if we REALLY want to - most of us even if poor are North American poor). It is truly a matter of choice for the individual. If they’re happy, growing some bodacious buds and/or sharing with others either their product or their knowledge… What’s not to like? :v:

3 Likes

The Monster Mash

Three little Monsters - The small update section
For those wishing to follow or document FD early development this section will (hopefully) be updated daily until phenotype identification and/or initial topping

ID Chart Page One

UPDATE 7 February 2023

This section can not be used for phenotype identification as all subjects in the grow have all been identified as the HILDA phenotype. Due to this, this small update section will no longer be updated.

Photos of each of the three plants being grown are available by request covering the first 14 days of growth and development.

I don’t know if any of you have noticed yet - I think @Prince posted this - But do you realize the last day of this year will be 123123 :flushed:

10 Likes

The Monster Mash
24 January 2023

-The Foundation Trilogy -
One Foundation - 3 attempts (on 3 little Monsters)

As we wait on the girls and discover who’s a Hilda and who’s an Olive I figured it was time to lay out the plan - set the foundation so to speak.

THIS is the Foundation we will be aiming for -

We are going to start out with what is essentially a basic topping and manifold lay-out. In the process each plant will be topped (ALL Stalk and Main Branch cuttings) a total of three times; once between nodes 3 and 4 of the stalk and once again at the ends of each of the two main branches - when they have grown out to 3 horizontal nodes.

We will also be removing all downward vertical growth from the two main branches. The first two vertical branch node growths (one on each main branch) will be folded over to cover the donut hole created by the topping, allowing for a more even canopy and the opportunity for more flowering branches.

If you follow along with the diagram you will notice that following this basic guideline and foundation is 90% of THE METHOD. It allows for a minimal High Stress foundational lay-out that naturally takes advantage of the plants normal plant structure - adjusted for indoor growing conditions.

If you understand and follow The Foundation you are well on the way to drastically increasing your indoor cannabis plants yield!

Even if you’re fed up with my chatter and stop now; follow the basic structure above and you’ll be pleased. If you stick around for the remaining 10% I’m hoping you’re going to be surprised and amazed at the outcome and more than happy with just how simple it really is.

note: after several hard-drive crashes a dead computer and the frying of two 10TB backups in the last year, i’m a bit limited on graphic and photo reference material and software at the moment. much of what i will be showing will either be pulled from previously released documents and posts’ or we’re gonna be making it up as we go.
:v:

11 Likes

Gr8 to have you here bud!
FYI: my friend @Smoklahoma and I both got a kick out of our separate MONSTER MASHES revealed to each other simultaneously. Ours will be home grown - his was home made for his home grown👍🏼

This Jedi Master mind trick thing is increasingly bizarre! lol :joy:

8 Likes

The Monster Mash
24 January 2023

You may have noticed I have a tendency to ‘edit’ a lot. If you have the time and interest it may be worth your while - until the close of the journal; when only additions and not edits will be added - to Peruse Previous Posts’ (it’s that PPP Thing again😳) until the close of the journal.

4 Likes

14 Likes

Thanks brother! You got some jedi in ya for sure. Grow that monster!

2 Likes

As promised … light entertainment …

my OG Group Playlist

TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN

Every time I take a look
Inside that old and fabled book
I’m blinded and reminded of
The pain caused by some old man in the sky
Marijuana, LSD
Psilocybin, and DMT
They all changed the way I see
But love’s the only thing that ever saved my life

So don’t waste your mind on nursery rhymes
Or fairy tales of blood and wine
It’s turtles all the way down the line
So to each their own 'til we go home
To other realms our souls must roam
To and through the myth that we all call space and time​
S.Simpson

Yep, it’s in the playlist :wheel_of_dharma:

7 Likes

Check out my new rolling tray. Kinda goes with your grow. :joy:

4 Likes

The Monster mMash
25 January 2023

Woa Dude! Killer tray and Killer idea!

Contest announcement time!
I just picked up one of the rolling trays that @Smoklahoma has shown above.

Consider it Part One of many that will be added to the prize pool for the member who comes closest to the actual weight - TOTAL for the grow - I’m tossing in a few OG CCN Stickers now as well. More will be added to the pot as we go.

The prize pool so far:

• Two transparent background OG Cannabis Cultivation Network Stickers

• One Large Raw Limited Edition Monster Sesh MONSTER MASH rolling tray

• One HIGH from Albuquerque Mug

and last but NOT least THE 2022 OG Fundraiser Poster by @Heliosphear

Thanks to everyone who took part in the event; submitted photo’s, made stickers and voted!
2022 OG Fundraiser Posters* are available for sale ONLY ON THE OG! (Or to the winner of The Monster Mash Total Weight Challenge)
2022 Overgrow Poster Fundraiser

• contest winners will receive the RHAIS CULTIVATION STATION version in recognition of @Rhai88 ’s continuing effort to care and share - his seemingly endless energy and work not only on behalf of The OG but as also shown by his work and dedication to Cannabis Equality with the Discord Channel for the Arizona Cannabis Growers Collective. ACGC. @Rhai88 - my hats off to you my friend - we’re all better off with you on our side!

Monster Mash final weight estimates will be accepted starting the first day of flowering.

Stay tuned This Monster Mash thing could turn into a graveyard smash!

10 Likes

I’ve got dibs on… 16 ounces!!!

Rules? What rules, Oh, dem rules.

OK, forfeit. :rofl:
-Grouchy

3 Likes

The Monster Mash
25 January 2023

Three Little Monsters 3 days old

:v:

11 Likes

Does that read 18% RH?

2 Likes

It do. Welcome to the Desert Southwest.

2 Likes

I know I know. Though I thought I had it bad in my dry mountainous climate. I’m having a hard time keeping 30% atm. Guess I’m lucky!
I’m about to place some moist soil in there to warm, and will be dropping a buncha Scarlett Grapes shortly thereafter. :astonished::+1::blush:

3 Likes

:speaking_head: @blowdout2269 My neighbor is doing a Scarlet Sunset in his current run thanks to g2f. She’s sure getting some nice purple calyx’s :+1:t3:

I’ve found the ideal growing conditions are “on your property” everything else is pretty much adjustable. lol

4 Likes

Yeah, I just don’t wanna slow their vegitative growth down alot. Considering that they’re on the autoflower clock and all.
I’m trying out my new living soil mix that’s been cooking for the better part of a year as well.
Was gonna run a couple of the whole Scarlett family, but decided to do them one at a time. Try and help identify any variations.
Don’t wanna flood your thread with random chatter, so lmk if it becomes a neucance. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:speaking_head: ya, I’m thinking more on this topic would best be served via DM. I’d kinda like to keep the focus on THE MONSTERS; but nothing wrong with a chat and sharing current events. Always nice to see and hear what others are doing. :v:

1 Like