The Not Fridge - nothing to see here 👀

Sounds good :+1:
I hope you like it :sunglasses:

If using for light baffles- you might need to line it in a few spots with much less reflective material. The surface is not quite a mirror but close enough to carry more photons than i expected, even around multiple bends. :bulb::eyes:

1 Like

Yeah absolutely. I’m going to spray paint the inside surfaces and the baffles flat black before I close it up.

Excited to give it a shot and happy to have learned about it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sophia :custard: Dry Day 7

Had a brief overnight period the other day where the box dropped to 54%. Took the res it grew in, washed it and the roots clean, added a couple inches of clean water, and put it all under her hanging spot. Rh back to fluxing right in range. Happy camper again

Rose :wilted_flower: Cure day 20

Still holding 62% in her main grove bag.
Trim/shake is also curing, at 52%. Smoke report at this point:

Not Too Shabby :partying_face:
Method: tiny bit of very airy trim, crispy bits and a little squish in the middle. Dry herb log vape through a dry glass bubbler, all glass rig.

Nose: still shedding the odd chemmy/chlorophyll smell, but it smells like… ozone or something, like going outside when its cold sometimes :cold_face:
its curing but its still leafy shake odd smell is not unexpected.

Effects: are more or less immediate, with a medium strong :hammer::facepunch: impact
Perception of my physical movement around the house was fluid, swimming in the air kind of, some light cosmic forces pulling me in one definite direction- the couch :joy:
After a brief uh-oh-WTF-did-i-grow few moments of heart palpitations 🫣, everything settled nicely in place. Dreary day felt a little brighter, Zelda felt a little more engaging, and adventure seems a lot more adventuresome :dagger::shield:
Eyes and mind a little sharper when i focus on something, but focusing on things feels rather…. optional haha. Im glad i got all my stuff done today beforehand. Still rocking the couch a few hours later lol.

Taste: would normally have been reported second, but i wanted to save the most interesting for last. Throughout flowering, her smell profile was very blueberry/muffin/pie :pie: but her vapor tastes like, no lie, tomato soup 🫢 :tomato::bowl_with_spoon:. Creamy tomato soup! I really hope that sticks around in the actual buds i intend to smoke for real, a first for me in flavor terms, and a cool thing to taste.

Overall: still curing, but i am :sparkles::zap:jazzed​:zap::sparkles: ill have an interesting flavored hard hitter in my jars for a long while. Excited for what a full 60 day cure might bring out in her.

Freezer babies :woman_zombie::octopus::beer::beers:

Fran, Joe, mug1 and mug2 chillin out, freezer style :snowman_with_snow:, being babies together

Joe :octopus: (Scarlet Grapes Auto)
Swinging in from the right- no idea why its not dead yet after my torture experiment. Guess I’ll keep going til she either lives a happy sideways life or taps out. Her choice to make :sunglasses::+1:

Fran :woman_zombie: (Frankenstein)
In back, little shorter than her siblings but happy so far.

Mug 1/2 :beer::beers: (Ketosis x Ice Cream Cake 98)
Both doing ok, one went loopy so i gave her a crutch to lean on :+1:
Ill bury any stretch when i transplant so she’ll get sturdy later.

Good day to you all OG, and to all a good day :v::sunglasses:

8 Likes

Sprouters!

3 Likes

Love the smoke report :grin:

2 Likes

Sad Update on Sophia :custard:
(after some pictures of hope)

Vaped some shake- Extra dark caramel candy on the nose, lots of that came through in the vapor, even after only 16 days in the dry box at 62%.
High was blunt but had vibewaves. I found myself wanting to give the
:smirk:heh:smirk: look to the person next to me on the couch- only to find out i was alone - and :smirk:’d anyway.

Then i found a little gray mold in one of the bigger colas.
And then a little more. And then a little more.
Seemingly isolated to just two biggest colas, but after i raised the panic beacon here and heard the advice on both sides of the coin, and slept on it, and then flipped an actual coin… Sophia :custard::skull_and_crossbones::biohazard: is a total loss. Sunk cost is not worth a potentially tragic health risk, even if minimal.

Big sad, but also a big step forward for me as a grower. With help from the OG knowledge base, and the gods of probability/multiversinal outcome, i was able to objectively review my scenario, and superimpose it against my goals and core principals. It just didnt make sense to risk our health, even a little.

I have to imagine the mold was all up in there during the 15 weeks of flower in which she revegged for some reason (still havent figured that out yet), and it was crazy humid at times, and she was Way way denser in All the buds, even the larfy unders, than could be sucessfully ventilated. Thats on me for not mitigating.

Other things noted during trim- all the foxtails and a bunch of the unders had spots where it looks like she tried to make seeds, but ended up with just quasi-seedinous masses in the “pods”. Maybe thats how seeds Start? The tips of the tails were hard spiny stem bits, or half seeds. Dunno, i loved her to death, but she was a weird, weird ass plant. RIP Sophia :custard:. Maybe ill run you again, way way differently.

8 Likes

Aw bummer dude! Sorry it went that way. I’m thinking about getting a hypochlorous acid generator so I can treat big dense buds prophylactically, as well as use it for IPM.
Also, I know it isn’t my fault, but I do feel bad about saying to run her to finish…even smoking unripe flower is better than none at all.

2 Likes

Now. Our gaze is onward, to a brighter tomorrow :sunrise_over_mountains:

Freezer Babies
D23

Fran :woman_zombie:
Mug 1 :beer:
Mug 2 :beers:
Joe :octopus:

I was underfeeding them for a while and its been super dry last few weeks (35%)
So they started out a little anemic and wrinkly, but they are bouncing in the upwardly direction

Joe :octopus: is doing much better than i expected :grin:

This is my gentle humidification solution: hydroton in a jar, with small amount of distilled water, usb fan blowing :arrow_up: (seems to be working OK so far to bring it up ~10%, but is this a stupid idea?)

Genius/stupid idea check#2 - straight from the dugout :sunglasses:
5 gallon nutes reservoir with stainless steel replacement spigot. This way i can mix 5 gallons at a time instead of 2x1 gallons in about the same amount of time. Works perfectly (so far). So im currently on team genius, and in love with it…. (Voters wanted)

Thanks all, see you when i see you :eyes::v:

6 Likes

Brother bear- I’m convinced you were right on the money timing wise :dollar::stopwatch:.

Your advice was timely and welcome. If i was a little luckier it could have gone better.

Ultimately though, we shape our own luck, and make our own decisions. And either see/feel what is needed when it matters, or we don’t. I didn’t this time - next time, after this experience, hopefully i’ll have a better chance.

And i got plenty of bud for the winter :wink:
Thanks for stopping by!
:crossed_fingers::sunglasses::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

This is why I don’t feel really bad.
One of my favorite quotes:
All that you touch you change, all that you change changes you, the only lasting truth is change; shape change.

4 Likes

Liking your inventive spirt @Not-Notjosh !

The humidifier looks cool. Not sure if you saw my setup but it took me from about RH 55% to 85% for no cost. Works on the same concept as any other evap humidifier. Only advice I would give is you need more airflow if you hope to raise the humidity more. With the closed jar, the airflow is minimized in your setup.

The Res is nice too!
I stole an idea from @GrouchyOldMan and purchased a $20 UVC aquarium light to minimize gunk in the stale darkness of the res.

Looking good!

Thanks!
John

4 Likes

They sell these black rocks at my local headshop that they claim are capable of doing the same thing as a boveda pack but they’re pretty big. I thought about buying some to try for the drying tent but maybe they’d work well similar to how you have the hydro ton working now? I’ll ask the manager what they’re called next time she’s working but you might be able to find them with a search.

2 Likes

I’m still fearful of overdoing humidity (given my “recent” mold issue), but that’s wearing off little by little. Really my concern was them shrivelling up and becoming crispy critters :desert: before they had a chance to establish themselves in their solo root zones. That little rh% bump seemed to breathe the life i was looking for back into them, so im happy!

In fact i started watering them a little too much and saw a little white fuzz starting to form on the surface of two out of 3, so i scraped the top 1/4 inch of media off of each, changed feeding so it only soaked up to the bottom half (where i want the roots anyway) and it hasn’t come back. No more adding humidity for me :+1: (until necessary :desert:…)

I saw and was impressed with your solution for adding rh% - i completely forgot that longjohns existed! it made me want a pair (for mornings like this one :snowflake::joy:)

Cool beans, mine worked out fine. BTW, the bulb will eventually get dirty, dusty more like, I just threw my light in the dishwasher to blow all that away. Just the light, mind, not the power supply!!!
-Grouchy

3 Likes

Totally agree about the mold fear.

I figured I was getting a two for one on my setup since the fan not only humidifies but also blows across the soil tops keeping them fairly dry even with the higher humidity levels,
Also trying to follow the VPD chart.

I’m also fearful of overwatering. I only fed mine today because last time, only one tub got nutes and I could tell the ones that got water only had less growth.

Best of luck growing and Happy Holidays!

3 Likes

Color me curious :nerd_face:
I like the idea of a give/take humidity solution, like a giant boveda

3 Likes

Here’s the VPD picture from 20,000 feet:

If you can keep your room within those ranges you’re good. I think my plants are happier with a daily variation rather than a fixed VPD. Nature is never static.

Regards,
-Grouchy

4 Likes

Trying to get back into a weekly rhythm :drum:
Pa rum pa pum pum

Woke to 60 degrees F this AM at 3:30. Not fun. 17F outside.
Bad Thermocoupler. Yay. :cold_face:

Ultimately, :bird: :bird: ok, :bride_with_veil:‍♀ok, 🪴 s ok, nobody kicked the bucket 🪣.
All a little tired, but thats nothing new :yawning_face:

A thankfully normal, and somewhat productive, day in the not-not-neighborhood.

Day 30 from sprout for all the babies

A view into the freezer (at the start)

Fran :woman_zombie: (Frankenstein)
Moving day!
Initially planned on a 3 gallon, but am gonna try a 2 gallon instead for my first go at her, see how out of hand she gets.

Before

During

After

The Not-Fridge as she stands now after Fran’s surface gravel was added to keep the dry dust down and any bug life out. (see the end of post for unnecessary bonus tip about this nobody asked for :nerd_face:)

First rule of training, Fran:
IMG_1012

Mugs (Ketosis x Ice cream cake 98)
Mug1 :beer:, Mug2 :beers:
I sang a love(?) song to these two today:
A tick tock, ya don’t stop-stop, to the :green_heart:

Because, :notes:i wanna sex them up :musical_note:🫢
This is my first run with reg seeds, and i am limited on space, so before i move them into their octopups i want to know who’s planning to stay (ladies only).

I needed to top them anyway for where they’ll end up living if they make it past this round, so i figured i’d root the tops if i could, put in solos, and hit em with 12/12 in my tiniest box until they show. (And limp the mom/dads along in solos with the auto in the freezer for the next few weeks until then)

Ive only ever done cuttings in water with very hit or miss results, curious how the clonex/root riot route will go. Im hopeful :crossed_fingers::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Mug1 :beer:. The littler of the two, has me thinking female

Mug2 :beers: much more robust, giving me dude vibes

Same little dip in clonex, no pic.

Knowledge entry: wash hands, sanitize razor with iso, 45deg, dont press the razor, slide one smooth stroke :arrow_right:. weight of the razor pulls it through without continuing into other plant parts. Tight spot to be in, went perfectly :+1:

Still life, with Trimmins

Happy lil slappies. As my dad would say, “you’re the tops!” :joy:
I wish i could include him in this part of my life. I bet he’d like it if it weren’t for the stigma. (He’d make some kind of flower/stigma joke right here lol)

Snug as bugs in their rugs.

Figure theyd liked this spot above the lights well enough throwing their first roots, maybe this will work for clones?
Light me up if this is stupid (please and thank you!)

Loose dome, will monitor for moistness and root development

Joe :octopus: (Scarlet Grapes auto - also my first auto)
Still going strong in her octo-on-the-side

just starting to throw preflower lady parts!
Not sure if this means Flower period has started yet? Or if its the pregame stage? Hoping to set up a trellis to spread out a little bit before she starts on buds, but we’ll see. Happy for the new learning opportunity :grin:

Roomies-for-now

:sparkles:Unnecessary bonus tip :sparkles: about this gravel nobody asked for:
The writing on the bag made a big deal about this gravel being {{TRIPLE WASHED}}, but it needed several more Vigorous rounds of washing before this brown, rank ocean smelling stuff is removed :fish: :skull_and_crossbones:

Thank you all for your viewership and comradery.
To all, a good night :christmas_tree::santa::gift: :sparkles:

9 Likes

Thank you sir! Always the informative mentor.
Appreciate all the info. Totally agree.

Thanks!
John

1 Like

Thanks @JOHN1234 and @GrouchyOldMan for both versions of this chart. Someday I’ll see them as a target and not evidence of my negligence 🫣
(It’s still great to have though :green_heart:, seriously thanks :relaxed:)

1 Like